New room planning - Going from tents to dedicated room - need some help with ideas

2001vettez06

So I need to know if I'm on the right track.

Currently, in a 8'9" x 7'4" storage room I have a 5x5 tent and a 2x4 tent. Also have a portable AC exhausting to outside, and a dehumidifier. Since I've had the room setup, with lights all on, the temps rocket so had to get that AC unit to control them somewhat.

In the 5x5 I'm running about 950 true draw watts of LED + 2 bulb 4ft T5 is about 110w or so, and the 2x4 tent(veg for now) is only a 4 bulb 4ft T5 setup 220w or so. To give you idea of lights and heat output.

For odor control I have a 6" fan and Phresh filter in the 5x5 and a 4" fan and Phresh filter in the 2x4 tent. These exhaust the tents into the storage room. Air intake is passive. Actually need an intake fan on the 5x5, temps get to 90 even though room is about 76, but this run is about over and too lazy to do it now. No odor in room outside of tents.

So I have about 25 sq/ft of space and pretty good coverage from the LED's, little loss in 2 corners but not big deal in the big tent and 8 sq/ft in the smaller for a total of 33 sq/ft.

I am thinking about pulling that whole room down when this run ends soon. It's an unfinished storage room in basement. I'd like better temp control with less watts used in total in room. Easier access to plants, and less noise getting outside of room, and a bit increased use of space. I was going to insulate it, put some furring strips and drywall on the 2 concrete walls and insulate and drywall the interior of the 2 studded walls that make up the rest of the room. Room exhaust is to the outside via the AC which runs all the time. Fans always and the cooling is almost always running if lights are on in room. I put the AC on my watt meter and I think it was 700-1100w or so depending on load/fanspeeds.

So if I finish the room off, I'm hoping this will make the room more quiet from the outside of the room. Not bad now, but you can tell fans are running. I thought of hanging carpet on the wall, then the furring strips, drywall etc... Anyway, the ceiling which is now just floor joists would get insulated and wall board put up too for sound suppression. There is a heating/ac duct that runs in the joists to a living room vent. I was thinking about tapping into this and exhausting a 6" fan/Phresh filter to it. On one of the framed walls of this room, I was going to add an air intake, that would draw in hopefully cool basement air. I figure just by moving air into this room, which BTW is passive now, and exhausting hotter air, that may help a bit control temps. I'm also going to buy one of those thermostat device controller that will help control my AC so only kicking the power on to the unit if it hits a certain temp. Therefor, the fan for the AC won't be constantly running and will save a bit of power too. For odor control, since I won't have the tent air to exhaust, and I don't think a 6" inline combo will control the odor for the room, I have a 10" fan and filter combo that I was just going to use to scrub the room. I'm a bit concerned as I'm used to the environment of the tent and while the tent smells a bit inside, outside there is NO odor. So I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around how the scrubber is going to eliminate 99+ % of odors. Oh well. I would love to exhaust the portable AC into that heating duct during winter and then use the external vent in the spring/summer. During Winter/fall I could use the external vent as an intake as well and probably allow use of no AC at all when temps fall to 60's F or lower. Just a guess though. I'm afraid though that the AC draws "unfiltered" room air, which should be scrubbed, but will be throwing this into house and can't risk smell. I need some help there. Also, what you guys think of plan on ducting etc... Am I on the right track or way off base.

I plan to have 2 x 4x4 tables setup in a 4x8 rectangular pattern(32 sq/ft). I'm switching lights and upgrading a bit. 2x AF600 units which are about 595w true draw each per specs. These will cover the 4x8 section, and I'm considering a mover for them to help with exposure/coverage/depth. I'll have enough space for a 2x4 station too.. 8+32= 40 sq/ft total room space compared with 33 in the current form, and considering the walls are pretty high may even be able to do a double decker/bunk bed type setup on the 2x4 area lol. Run a mini SOG with the 2L hempy bottles should keep plants under 30". Getting kinda carried away though. I'll ditch all the T5's in this room and use some of my current LED's on the 2x4 area. I think they are about 280-290 for my larger ones. Thinking about a mover on this too, as they ideally cover a 2x3 area to 2.5-3.5ft area. So I'll have a wee bit more watts in total lights, moreso even by about 300w if I do a double decker 2x4 table area. I'd wait on that to see how the room runs as planned though. I'm hoping wiht these changes that the AC will be a rare issue and limited mainly to hotter summer days etc... If I'm on the right track, I should cut a significant portion of power ie the 700-1100w for the room AC unit. Nervous I'll do all this work and have odor issues or still need the AC as much as now :O.

Re: New room planning - Going from tents to dedicated room - need some help with idea

If you want you growroom to stay significantly cool you want the air to be refreshed every 5 minutes. Therefore you may want to install a squirl fan on a timer or run it constantly at a lower speed (this will reduce noise)... I was having noise issues in my closet growroom and to reduce the noice considerably I just got larger fans and air extractors/intakes and run them at a lower speed but still getting the same amount of wind... I heard this might even save energy. Dont know if this was in anybit helpful but I am curious to see wat you will end up doing and what others may suggest. Good luck and happy growing.

Peace

Re: New room planning - Going from tents to dedicated room - need some help with idea

thx for the reply :)
maybe I should go with the 8 or 10 inch fan then and just spool it down?

So much to consider and I'm sure I'll "re-think" it all once it's done lol

Back
Top Bottom