New seedlings and new grower needs advice

bigslick90404

Im a new grower and looking to get some experienced feedback on what you all think is going on with my new batch.

I germinated 4 seeds successfully and planted them approx 1/2" down into 1.5" square rockwool cubes.

I pre-soaked the rockwool cubes for a couple of hours in filtered water with a ph of 5.3 and ppm of 003. I measured the adjusted water (from the bowl I'd soaked the cubes in) and it was at 6.2

I placed the four cubes into a humidity dome and sprayed them down with water and left them in the dark. There was quite a lot of standing water in the bottom of the dome and condensation up around the clear top of the dome. The temp in the room was running between 73 and 82 deg F.
I kept them in the dark and checked on them every 8-10 hours. After 3 days one of the seeds had emerged with the two rounded leafs clearly showing. I turned on the lights. I placed the 4 x 4 ft fluorescents about 2" above the top of the dome lid (effectively 10-12" above the seedling tops) and put them on an 18/6 cycle. I was running all 4 bulbs. BTW, the bulbs were 4 x 3000K red/flowering bulbs. The seeds are 4 freebies from Attitude. Seedbank is Kannabia, all female, non-auto.

Of the four seeds one started growing like crazy. It literally went from emerging to being long and lanky (3-4") in 2 days. Two of the remaining 3 have also sprouted (1-1.5") and one I think is a dud.

So I was (I think in error now) maintaining a very wet environment inside the dome. I had reduced the amount of standing water in the bottom but there was still some in there. I would spray the tops of the cubes, around the base of the stem about 1-2 times a day with filtered water, ph 5.3

I started to notice that the round leaves were curling under and thought that maybe the lights were too much for them at this stage so I reduced the light from 4 to 2 bulbs. I was hesitant to do this since Id read that the long lanky stem can be indicative of a plant reaching for light, but this was confusing as id had the lights on from the moment they emerged out of the cubes.
I had to leave town for 2 days. I drained all the standing water out of the tray (I tested the standing water and it had a ph of 7.2 — strange as nothing was added at anytime) and left the 2 bulbs on.

When I returned the inside of the dome was dry, no standing water and no condensation inside the dome lid. The temp in the room was 87 deg. The plant that had really taken off was now leaning over 90 degrees. The other two had grown slightly but one of them had started to curl its two round leaves under. I removed the dome lid. The cubes were slightly moist to the touch. I gave each a light spray with filtered water, ph 5.3, until the first drops came out of the bottom. I then lightly placed some tooth picks into the cube (being careful not to go too deep and potentially hit any roots — if there even are any yet) to help support the drooping plant.

I found out today that the 3000K bulbs are actually for flowering (I was mistakingly under the impression that they were the blue/veg. variety). I switched out two of the four so I am now running 2 x 300K's and 2 x 6500K's. As of right now I am running on four bulbs, maintaining a moist cube (with a new batch of ph 5.7 filtered water), with no standing water, the dome lid off and the temperature is 81 deg (at plant level). I have a gentle fan running to scrub the air inside the room every 2 mins, but it is not blowing directly at the plants.

I need all the advice you have. This is my first grow and I don't want to lose my first batch! What do you think is the issue. What can I do to remedy the situation further, in addition to the bulbs and ph correction..

I tried to include pics to help show the set-up, but cant find out how to, or maybe I just dont have those privelidges yet. So here is a link to a page that contains the pics:

New seedlings and new grower needs advice.... - Cannabis Forums Message Boards - Medical Marijuana, Cannabis Club, Dispensary, News

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Re: New seedlings and new grower needs advice....

Take a look at this: Hydroponic Gardening - 420 Magazine
also you should do a general search about indoor growing, even tho it's not about cannabis it will still give you some general info on what to do and not to do.
Also do a search on Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom