New soil very damp

Jwhat201

So I used to use promix, with good results, but there was a shortage last time so I had to get new stuff.

It says It's a ready to use mix containing peat moss, dolomite lime, bark compost and perlite.

First problem is it's damp as shit. Was wet when I bought it and the stuff in the bag is still wet. Wondering a way to dry it out a bit. I think it'd be more effective.

Second problem is I bought this thinking it was a soil potting mix like promix but I don't see soil anywhere it just says peat moss, perlite, bark compost, dolomite lime.
So should I be treating this stuff differently? How so?

Got no ph meter so can't really do anything with ph. But my tap water's about 7 maybe a bit higher if that helps any.

Thanks

A PH of 7.0 is not terrible but ideally you are shooting for a PH of 6.5 for the plant to take up all of the nutrients it will need.
I would suggest if you do not plan on buying a decent PH meter, then at the very least pick up a PH test kit. It will not be very accurate but it will be better then just guessing. Your water may be 7.0 today but there is no guaranties that it will be that tomorrow. This summer I tested my water out of the tap and it was 6.5 now it is 8.3. All from the same tap and from the same source.

Can not help you much with the soil question, while a dirt digger, I am not that up to date on the different ways each material reacts with moisture, only know the stuff I grow with and how it holds water. I am sure there are some here that have used those types of materials before that can help you out.

Best of luck my friend

A PH of 7.0 is not terrible but ideally you are shooting for a PH of 6.5 for the plant to take up all of the nutrients it will need.
I would suggest if you do not plan on buying a decent PH meter, then at the very least pick up a PH test kit. It will not be very accurate but it will be better then just guessing. Your water may be 7.0 today but there is no guaranties that it will be that tomorrow. This summer I tested my water out of the tap and it was 6.5 now it is 8.3. All from the same tap and from the same source.

Can not help you much with the soil question, while a dirt digger, I am not that up to date on the different ways each material reacts with moisture, only know the stuff I grow with and how it holds water. I am sure there are some here that have used those types of materials before that can help you out.

Best of luck my friend

Much appreciated man, didn't know ph could move like that from the same tap, good to know haha.
Gonna check walmart for a meter when I get the funds, thanks for the help.

Any ideas about the soil/peat moss question anyone?

Back
Top Bottom