New to growing looking for advice

skunkpunk

Hey everyone I'm Adam aka the skunkpunk ;)
I'm looking to start my first indoor closet grow but I'm unsure on a few things,
First one is I know how to germinate my seeds but when do I put it under the light? Before or after it's sprouted?

Second one Is am I ok using 2 45w cfl lights for the vegetating stage and two 125w cfl for flowering with minimal ventilation? As in minimal I mean a few small holes for the exhaust and a few holes for air in, With a 6" desk fan on that is?

Third is my closet is around 3 and a half foot heigh will this be ok or will they need more height?

I'm planning on 5 plants a grow so not a great lot anyone got a suggestion on a good short but bushy plant? I've heard big bud is a good plant to go for due to my height restriction but I really like northern lights ;)

Peace.....

Hi Adam aka the skunkpunk :ciao:

Welcome to :420: and growing!

I kept my lights on before the seeds sprouted, just so I knew they'd get light as soon as they broke ground.

You might be okay with that ventilation setup in veg, but I'm guessing it might get a little warm with 250 watts in flower. The best way to test it is to run your lights and fan and monitor the temperatures. Another thing to keep in mind is that you want to exchange the air in your grow space at least once every couple minutes. Having some type of extraction/exhaust fan would make a huge difference even if it is a tiny one (providing you have adequate intake openings).

The height is okay - you can always train your plants to keep them short with topping, FIMing, LST (low stress straining). There are some really great micro grow journals here - people growing in small fridges and cabinets. Also, indica strains tend to be shorter and bushier than sativas, so they may fit into your space easier.

Five plants seems like a lot for 90/250 watts unless you keep them on the smaller side. Also, having a really full space means that ventilation is even more important or you can run into problems like powdery mildew, bud rot/mold, etc.

Here are some great links filled with tons of information:

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

How to Make a Grow Journal

I encourage you to start a grow journal. People will follow along and offer advice, feedback, tips and encouragement along the way. It's also just really fun to document your grow. ;)

Happy growing!

Welcome @skunkpunk! I would recommend auto-flowering plants as they are very easy to grow and very do very well in almost any sort of growing conditions with the basics needed of course. Three and half feet seems like plenty, if you apply low stress training, or super-crop your plants during the vegetative period. Good luck brother! Stay Up! Check out my grow, the link is in my signature. It is a good example of a pretty simple grow.

you say 3.5 ft high but whats the length and width?
will give you an idea how many plants you can keep in there
or what kinda containers medium to use

Thank you for the replys people especially dresney some very usefull information there, the width of my closet growing space is a small 20" the length is 23.8" if I remember correctly so it's quite a small growing area, maybe all the more reason to get an extraction fan thinking about it, is 250 watts enough in flowering then using cfl? I'm still unsure,

Also can Someone advice me if I'm better off using soil or coco for this type of grow?

Thanks again!

you could fill that space with 1 or 2 plants doing a scrog
probably easier to go in soil, than straight coco for a first run

Back
Top Bottom