New to HPS

The Prof

Whats good been growing for a while on cfls finally just got an hps and what I'm wondering is how to stop the strecthing?? With the light being so hot everyone says keep it 12-18 in away but the plants strecth? I tried to come up with a set up to have cfls just above the plants to stop it but couldnt figure out how to do that w/o blockin mh light...oh yea and is it safe to keep this at a 23/1 light cycle im always trippin ima come back and it be burnt down..holla at me yall

HPS usually is not strong in the blue spectrum and more strong in red/orange which causes the plants to stretch more than what they would under a blue MH or 5500K-6500K cfl. If your ballast is MH/HPS compatible then think about using a blue MH bulb during veg if stretching is an issue.

Thanks alot yall..but who out there uses hps without aircooled vent I just got my hps with the 4 sided reflector no aircool and dont have the money to switch now..but dont need a fire thats for sure..holla at me

1299.jpg

this is what it looks like but many kinds of them..i have a 400w with one..but i keep the lite form 10 to 18inch from top of plants

no pic just yet but soon got closet set up but im renting so cant do any cutting work..its 4 x 4 8 ft tall but I have a top coverd in maylar as extra reflector about 5 ft down where my 400 w mh is hanging..i hear ya about the air cool vent but those are usually 80-100 and I dont have that to spare...already have xtra reflector hood itts nice as fuck just gets a lil hot...it seems fine but anbody had any fires from the hps or mh??

I know they'll cool off a little when they're off the hour a day..any got any ideas on how to cool em other than a new hood?? does everyone here have an air cooled hood?

I used my 400 watt in a closet for a few weeks without the glass on it and no inline fan cooling it. Instead I got one of those honeywell turbo fans around 20 bucks at target and aimed it right at the bulb from 4 or 5 feet away. They move a lot of air and kept it from getting too hot. You'll still need a way to vent the hot hair out of the area though. Those fans come in handy and do a great job for 20 bucks. You can wall mount them too.

Im sure the fan will take most of the hot air out its a big closet and im leavin the door open for atleast an hour a day so it stays aroun 77-80 so its not that hot I just worry about fires...I have 8 plants under the 400 MH right now you guys think it could grow more than that cuz Id like to add a few more but dont wanna seriosly hurt the yield

I don't think you would want to put more than 8 under 1 400 watt light. To get light coverage across all of them when they start to bush out you'll have to keep the light a good distance above them which decreases the effective lumens. Just my opinion.

When I did my closet grow in my rented house I just bought a closet door from home depot for like $35 and cut vents into that. I had a 400hps in a closet about 2.5 by 3.5 and it got 82 degrees at the hottest. No fires or anything like that. Then when I moved out I put the old door back on and no problems and looked just like it did.

Back
Top Bottom