New to Indoor - First Indoor Grow - HOG - 2011

Re: New to Indoor-First Indoor Grow-HOG-2011

I agree with McCrackin. If you don't have runoff, you will probably have salt buildup. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, every watering have runoff.

I usually test the pH of water going in and then I check runoff to compare the two and adjust my pH accordingly. In my soil mix, I have a little bit too much peat moss which lowers my pH too much. I will never know what pH the soil is at if I never test the runoff. The water that I put into my containers might be at 7.5pH, but as soon as that hits my acidic soil, the pH drops dramatically and the pH of runoff might be 6.

Your nute solution does not buffer your pH, the soil buffers pH. I add dolomitic lime to my soil mixture for that purpose...to buffer the pH and keep it in range.

The nutes are supposed to buffer your PH so that you don't have this concern in soil.

No runoff ever? that would mean a buildup of salts if you have ever added nutes.

Anyways I am following this one waiting to hear about a flush... :goodluck:

Thanks McCrackin. What I mean by no runoff is that I put just enough nute tea in my plants until I see a little coming out the bottom. Not enough to place my ph tester in and get a reliable reading. Since I am using organic nutes and cultures I think I'll wait and see if the changes I have made so far have an affect. I also think your right that a good old flush can't hurt.:thanks:

I agree with McCrackin. If you don't have runoff, you will probably have salt buildup. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, every watering have runoff.

I usually test the pH of water going in and then I check runoff to compare the two and adjust my pH accordingly. In my soil mix, I have a little bit too much peat moss which lowers my pH too much. I will never know what pH the soil is at if I never test the runoff. The water that I put into my containers might be at 7.5pH, but as soon as that hits my acidic soil, the pH drops dramatically and the pH of runoff might be 6.

Your nute solution does not buffer your pH, the soil buffers pH. I add dolomitic lime to my soil mixture for that purpose...to buffer the pH and keep it in range.

Thanks HR. I think I get it. I'll run a fresh batch of ph'd nutes in tomorrow and put enough through so I can test it. My water here is alkaline (runs @8.4)and I always ensure my ph is adjusted to 6.8 before watering with my nutes. But I have never tested the runoff and without that info I guess I really have no idea what is happening in my soil.

Hate to keep bugging you guys but could any of you look at my nute list on the first page of this journal and make any suggestions?

:thanks:

High Mcguyverup,

Sweet, sweet setup. :thumb:

I was having a cal/mag problem and Setting Sun gave up this foliar recipe.

*I made a foliar spray with a quart of rainwater, 2 tsp seaweed extract, and 1/4 tsp Cal-Mag+, and it fixed a calcium deficiency in my outdoor LR2's and seemed to boost flowering.*

Works nicely :grinjoint:

I've got my chair and ashtray! :popcorn:

:peace:

High Mcguyverup,

Sweet, sweet setup. :thumb:

I was having a cal/mag problem and Setting Sun gave up this foliar recipe.

*I made a foliar spray with a quart of rainwater, 2 tsp seaweed extract, and 1/4 tsp Cal-Mag+, and it fixed a calcium deficiency in my outdoor LR2's and seemed to boost flowering.*

Works nicely :grinjoint:

I've got my chair and ashtray! :popcorn:

Thanks Horse! Yeah the room was a labor of love, not to mention it busted my ass and my wallet lol! I've been using Maxsea, which is seaweed, but I have not used the cal/mag in my foliar spray. I think I'll give it a try. Glad your on board!!!

:bravo:

Hey MacG, looking good! :welldone:

I hate to be repetitive, but great job on the grow room!

Best wishes for a healthy harvest!

Thanks Mr. Krip! Yeah I'm liking the room more and more as I work it. I've had to make few adjustments to it so far. My next project will be to create a small veg section on one side of it. I just hate to give up any space lol!

Hi HempRocket. Well you sure nailed this one, but of course you knew that!!!:high-five:

I'm just finishing a runoff test and couldn't wait to post the results. I took pics so everyone can see exactly what you're saying to do.

Pic 1 and 2 of plant:
plant235.JPG

plant136.JPG

Pic 3 shows the ph in the ph adjusted nute tea:
ph6_8.JPG

Pic 4 shows the runoff ph.:
ph5_6.JPG

As you can see the ph has dropped from 6.8 to 5.6. I did this on all ten plants and got identical results. I think what has occurred (please correct me if I'm wrong) is I added ReadyGro to the mix (you can see the ratio on the 1st page on of this jrnl) for added drainage because the soil seemed way to dense (yes like me lol) and didn't drain well. ReadyGro contains peat etc. and I did not know that by doing this that I had just changed the soil composition to be way more acidic. BIG ROOKIE MISTAKE!:loopy:

Now to correct the problem my strategy includes the garden lime added to the soil, the correct amount of cal/mag in my nute tea and foliar feed. I'm thinking that on my next watering I will leave the ph at 8.4 (de-chlorinated and aerated) and see what the runoff is then.

Do you think this is a good strategy?

Just in case I haven't made this clear:
:adore:

I'm thinking that on my next watering I will leave the ph at 8.4 (de-chlorinated and aerated) and see what the runoff is then.

Do you think this is a good strategy?

You nailed it brother. :high-five:

Hey Mac stoppin by checkin out the girls, doing great job. Kutos and from me struggling with my girls ph issues, i would drp the mix down to around 8.0 and see where that leaves you. always gotta think that less is more.. if that makes sense lol better to have to add more, rather than add too much and over shoot that magic number:roorrip:

Hey Mac stoppin by checkin out the girls, doing great job. Kutos and from me struggling with my girls ph issues, i would drp the mix down to around 8.0 and see where that leaves you. always gotta think that less is more.. if that makes sense lol better to have to add more, rather than add too much and over shoot that magic number:roorrip:

Thanks bro! I'm totally blown out by the support I have been given!

:420: and the people here ROCK!

Here's some updated pics of the girls today. They're now on the 10th day of the flower cycle and starting to show...

Baby_Fl.JPG

Baby_Fl_2.JPG

Here's a couple side views:

Side13.JPG

Side_2.JPG

And here's a pic from the top:

Top40.JPG

:peacetwo:

I want to jump in that plant and run around in the forrest:tokin: looking so nice and healthy, keep it up:cheer:

Dude, you're going to have so much smoke soon... :) :thumb:
Way more than I can use. :grinjoint: I'll be donating 10% to the coll for patients in need and they'll buy the overgrow. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't screw it up on the home stretch, lolo.

I want to jump in that plant and run around in the forrest:tokin: looking so nice and healthy, keep it up:cheer:

yeah, the forest is kinda freaking me out. Where I use to grow outdoors was on the edge of the fog belt and fungus was a constant threat and always just before harvest. Now I'm seeing these babes thickening up an though I'm not to worried yet I'll be watching them very close from here on out 4 sure! :whoa:

Hello everyone it's been a while since I've been able to give an update on my grow, been busy getting ready to go back to my day job, and catching up on the yards etc., ugh! I'm prepping for an outdoor grow soon to start. I'll start a new journal for that.

The ph issue has been a work in progress. I've increased runoff ph to 5.9 (not optimal but I'm getting there, starting ph was 8.4) and the plants are responding. New growth is green and healthy. Older growth is looking better also. Overall the plants look healthier and the buds are starting to fill. Pics to follow.

This weekend I will do the Bushdoctor/Sledgehammer flush before starting them on Beastie Bloomz. They have been on Open Sesame now for 2 weeks. :yummy:

:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom