New to the game!

Hype1

Hey from Canada, so I'm some what new to all this. I'm in the process of buying equipment and doing research & it's slow going. I'm aiming for a DWC setup & THINK I'm on the right track with the equipment I've got.

Here's a list of what i already have..

4x4x7 Gorilla tent

72 Cell germination station with heat pad

20 Gallon rubber maid with 6 holes cut into the lid & 6 Pots 5"wide x 4"deep, with plumbing attached to feed from the top, a Eco132 submersible pump & Danner AP-4 air pump with 6 bubble stones & clay pebbles

Digital thermometer & hygrometer

Heavy duty timer

Small clip on fan

Annnnd jumped the gun and bought a nanotech 18" T5HO 17w.. for veg, didn't realise it was 17w until i got it home..what is a recommended wattage for veg ?

So that's what I have so far. My next purchase will most likely be some lights!
I'm leaning towards LED so I'm not battling heat.. but still unsure which to go with ?!
Been looking at the 600w black dog.

Thanks for taking the time to read this any comments, feedback is welcome

Welcome to the magazine! We're happy you've made the plunge!

It seems like you have your head on your shoulders so that's a bonus. I think that T5 is going to work ok for you for a plant or two. Mainly because of space and how much you can jam under one bulb. The farther you progress through veg it'll be a good idea to add another 3 or 4 of those bad boys to ensure strong growth.
If you've got LED on the mind than go for it! It's nice to be able to grow without the paranoia of heat. But please let me warn you that you'll need to do some homework in terms of what LED is best for you. I recommend not cheaping out and getting something that will last the long haul. Maybe a Mars Hydro? I'm an HPS guy myself but I can appreciate the desire to go for LED.

I wish you all the best and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

:high-five:

Ps. A big hello from Manitoba! :ciao:

Yes, Welcome to the "club house" so to speak. I'm a new grower too doing DWC and soil halfway through my first cycle. You now have a GREAT resource at your fingertips. People here at 420 are so friendly and helpful. I personally don't think I could have made it this far without the help I have received here.

As to your setup, it sounds like you have done your homework. IMO LED is a good thing to look into, and I agree with Pigeons420 that when it comes to LED do not go cheap, while I'm new to this I have already heard a few stories of cheap LEDs going out or fans not working in the first few months of use. And while I don't want to sound like a sponsor whore, I have been doing my own research and I too would look at MarsHydro.
Good luck and if you start a grow journal let us know here so I can follow your grow.

Thanks for the advice, think il end up making an LED purchase today
I've narrowed it down to a Mars 2 1600 which will cover my 4x4 tent and apparently it replaces an 800wHPS with the ability to switch between veg and bloom.

BUT what I've been thinking is would i be better off buying multiple smaller LEDs for "over lapping light coverage" effect ?
Thanks again for taking the time to read this

Sorry bud that question exceeds my LED expertise.

But logically I would deduce that more light is better? I do know that you can have too much light but I think your still within that limit.

:passitleft:

Welcome to 420Mag Hype1. Take a look at the last few pages of my perpetual journal below. That is a Mars II 1200 in a Mars 47x47 inch tent. It is in my basement which stays around 65 deg F. I do not use any exhaust for the heat. You can see where the light print lands(post #310). Also check my blog for diy reservoir plans. If I can assist in any way, feel free to ask.

I don't know what your wallet can bear, but two Mars II 700w would rock a 4x4 much better than a single 1600 if only because of the overlap. If you choose to go the Mars route be sure to contact 420mag member SmokeSara. She is the Mars rep here and will arrange a small discount for you. Also when in bloom both the veg and bloom switch should be "on". Rock on, I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. :)

Welcome lots of people with lots of Knowledge to share here. I use a Mars II 1600 in a Mars 4'9" x 4'9" x 7' I get good coverage, the heat is much less than a hps . Can't speak to using two smaller units and going for the over lap but as I say I get good results with the Mars II 1600. Grow in Peace.

So i just ordered the Marsii 1900 through smokesara was a quick and easy transition, thanks for the heads up RIFLEMAN
Pretty excited to get my hands on it !

The lights arrived!!?!? Any photos? Have you started a journal yet?

Keep us posted were anxious to here how things are going!

Still waiting on a few more things before I put it all to use and start up a journal, really anxious lol
Tested out the mars ii 1600 last night and was impressed to say the least

I could get some crown royal clones if I was to speed things up but kinda want to go at my own pace ect. Also wouldn't mind starting from seed !

Back
Top Bottom