New to the place: What's up everyone!

beginnerslust

420 Member
Ok everyone, I am opening up myself to you so I can learn from the best. I wish to learn as much as possible.
As background:
I am growing in my closet, which has no vents, this allows me to keep steady temps and humidity (78F-81F, 52%-58% Humidity)
For the first 3 or 4 weeks i was using a 1500w light bulb I had for my photography light box. I recently purchased a Phlixon or Philxon from amazon, it says its 600 watt and am running both veg and bloom light. Most of what I follow is from Cali Green from youtube, however I have been following a lot of threads because I am running into some issues with leave discoloration and curling and drying up and crumbling.

Timeline: Put seeds in wet paper towel and left in dark outside (super hot 80+) for 3 days, and I think I left them too long because the root had rooted into the paper towel and the seed shell had fallen off, but maybe this doesnt matter much? Either way, I planted the seeds (started with 4 but the other two were far behind so i tossed them). Obviously the seed shell had fallen so there was some stem growth so i planted the root part and left what I figured was the stem that needed to be above ground, above ground. Plant date was July 19th. For a few days-a week I had a regular 40 or 60 watt equivalent bulb on my seedlings. I then switched to the 1500w photography light bulb. Everything was growing pretty well. Around a certain point I started to notice the single leaves on the bottom, I think Ive seen them called feeder leaves (I might be trippin), and 3 point leaves get some different changes that dont appear healthy. And like I said a few days ago got my 600w light in and now its sitting 24 in above my plants. I also have one fan going for breeze. I have a pH digi scale coming in along with ph up and down as I wasnt sure if this problem could be from pH. I have been going on and off with the liquid seaweed and molasses because Im scared it could also be nutrient lock. Used neem oil twice as well. Is it bad if I have neem oil in my water mixture and pour it into the soil?

All Materials:

FoxFarm Ocean Floor Soil
Neem Oil (2-3 uses)
Liquid Seaweed (off and on)
Unsulfured Molasses (off and on)

Below are CURRENT PICTURES and sorry if my timeline is mad confusing, I haven't been keeping record so I am pulling as much as possible from memory. Sorry lads for any missing info, and please ask me if you need any other info.
IMG_2230.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2231.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 87
:welcome: to :420:beginnerslust.

Heres a great link that another great member ( John Wick ) pointed out one day on diagnosing plants and is very helpful.

Plant issues....

Or try this...

marijuana-deficiency-chart-2.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

Welcome and happy growing...

Welcome. Great start.

Hey Lusty, welcome! NIce plants. I think Virgin Ground has it covered with a bigger home for them. Nice chart @GHempster, bookmarked.

Thanks for backing what Virgin Ground said, not that I doubted it but just wanted multiple opinions before making any major changes. I have been going 24/0 up until 2 days ago, as in today is my second day doing 18/6. At 3 the light comes back on and then I should transplant? I watered yesterday, should I wait till the soil drys out before I transplant?

Thanks

not that I doubted it but just wanted multiple opinions before making any major changes
This is an excellent practice because you are ultimately in control of your own grow. Critical thinking is greatly important, I feel.

Honestly I am not very sure, as that is one of my insecurities is overwatering/underwatering and figuring out the best. I would say the topsoil starts showing signs of dryness after 2 days maybe but I read that topsoil dryness doesn't mean much since the underlying soil could still be damp.
So to gauge dryness for these babies, a good trick is to fill another identical pot with dry soil and compare their weights. Plants this small don't weigh much so when the soil is dry they should feel similar.

So to gauge dryness for these babies, a good trick is to fill another identical pot with dry soil and compare their weights. Plants this small don't weigh much so when the soil is dry they should feel similar.
YO that is so clutch because in my original post I mentioned that I tossed two other plants, and I still have those solo cups in my closet filled with soil and they are dryyyyyyy. This is a great tip.

You don't want them too wet or too dry for transplant somewhere I the middle so they come out of the cup easily yet the soil still holds together.

Welcome to 420 magazine beginnerslust.
I'm with Virgin ground on this. Your plants are ready to be transplanted. Don't worry about your roots... they will not be
"underdeveloped" as you asked. Once you feel they are about half way dried out but not completely dry you can do the switch. As previously mentioned a little moisture just helps hold the root ball and soil together during transplant and makes less mess. When you pull the plant out you will likely see nice white roots coiled around the bottom of the cup. When transplanting I recommend inserting the root ball into moist soil. Roots hate coming into contact with dry course material. I use a spray bottle and just mist the new hole that I'm inserting the root ball into. Works good for me.

Your plants look like they are growing nicely. My guess is that you will find a nice root system that has filed the cups pretty well. You can always slide them out of the cup enough to check them out, it you don't think their root system is big enough,you can always stick them right back in the cup.
I'm pretty certain they are ready for transplant though.

Welcome to 420 magazine beginnerslust.
I'm with Virgin ground on this. Your plants are ready to be transplanted. Don't worry about your roots... they will not be
"underdeveloped" as you asked. Once you feel they are about half way dried out but not completely dry you can do the switch. As previously mentioned a little moisture just helps hold the root ball and soil together during transplant and makes less mess. When you pull the plant out you will likely see nice white roots coiled around the bottom of the cup. When transplanting I recommend inserting the root ball into moist soil. Roots hate coming into contact with dry course material. I use a spray bottle and just mist the new hole that I'm inserting the root ball into. Works good for me.
Awesome thanks for the tips! My pH tester just came in and it seems my mixture of purified water, liquid seaweed, and molasses comes out to about 5.8. My pH Up and Down should be here tomorrow but I will buy some baking soda to raise it for today for my transplant. I plan on moisturing the transplant soil before plants go in with this mixture.

Back
Top Bottom