New to the site! Need some advice

RampageBear

Hello everyone!

Soooo... I'm new to the site, I have been following for awhile and have some questions. My friend and I started a grow, and it is not going as expected. Being our first grow, of course we are learning and seeing what can be improved. We made our own box that's about 3x4. My friend decided half way through veg that we would do the sog method.

Here's what it looks like:

Starting veg on July 15th.
We are now only week 3 into flowering.
Lights: 7 23wts, 2 45wts, and 3 daylight 6500. 12/12 ratio
Started SCROG second week into flowering
Using Organix soil.

Friend messed up the beginning of veg by putting ---top soil---- 0_0..... instead of potting.
No nutes until switched to flowering - Bone Meal
Using rain water-once a week.

The strains are 3 swiss cheese and 3 sativas that are unknown.

The swiss cheese are a mighty hardy strain and have taken well to any abuse that has been given unfortuantley. The sativas are a lot more fragile..

Anyways. I would like a mentor on my next grow that I will be doing by myself. I want to purchase a tent and possibly do an advanced LED system in soil.

Until then... is there any advice you could give? I'd appreciate it.

I can also post pictures.

Re: New to the site! Need some advice :/

My advise is Do your research on the soil, you'll want to add stuff to it improve it before you begin. It's good to read thru the grow journals or tips/tricks like LST(ow stress training and FIM (F*ck I Missed) you may want to use. Give thought into the nutes you want to use, organic tea or chemical salts. another bit of advise is when youre ready start growing then start a Journal here, That wil give you a mentor you seek

If your plants are weak, pests may become more likely. I suggest using 100% Neem oil (look up methods of how to apply it, make the solution, etc.) IF your buds aren't big yet. Ideally it should be done during veg but can still be done in flower if careful. That should prevent some pests at least while you work on the other stuff. Unfortunately all your equipment is different than mine so I have no advice other than Neem oil :/

For some reason it's not allowing me to upload into the gallery through the site. Hopefully this works

Thank you all for the response. I will for sure be starting a grow journal to get some advice on the next round.

Does this setup look okay, and for the time that has been spent? I feel like they are running way behind since they were started in July.

congratulations on what u have achieved so far. my advice for your grow partner . stick with the original plan from the beginning . get that under your belt and then experiment. to me you are a little behind . here is a little info on your seed .:goodluck:

Nirvana Seeds - Swiss Cheese
Swiss Cheese is a hybrid of Nirvana's discontinued Swiss Miss and a curious Skunk #1 phenotype that was discovered in the UK and smuggled to Amsterdam in 2007. A mix of a very early Swiss skunk and a robust strain from Nepal, Swiss Miss contributes an "old school" flavour that makes Swiss Cheese unique. This strain is mould resistant and beginner friendly.

Yield: 400 - 500 grams/m² (SoG)
Effect: High and Stoney
Grow height: Medium
Flowering Indoor: 7 / 8 weeks

Flowering Time Indoor
Between 59 an 64 days (Average: 61 days.)
Stretch after the initiation of flowering
±215 Percent
Initiation of flowering onto around 36 cm. - Final Height onto around 104 cm.
Growth Behavior
Like a christmas tree Strong Stretch Sickly
Side Branches
an average number; slightly above average length as well as slightly above average strongness.
The plants of this Cannabis-Strain...
...need place and should not be placed close together. (!!!)
...do not need much care.
...are tolerant to over- or under-fertilization.
...do not need much fertilizer.
...are not vulnerable to fungal diseases.
...are not susceptible to mold.
...are tolerant of temperature fluctuations.
...have no problems with low temperatures.
...have no problems with high temperatures.
...are well suited for a ScroG (Screen of Green).
...are a good choice for beginners. (!!!)
...can build pre flowers into the growth period.
...looks and grow more like a Indica. (!!!)
...are well suited for very low growrooms.
...are well suited to Supercropping.
...are a good choice for commercial cultivation.
...should be supported into the flowering period. (Nets, JoJos, Bamboo-Sticks).

Harvest, Yield, Taste, Aroma, strength and effectiveness

Yield / Quantity
The crop of this strain is high.

Buds / Leaves
The ratio of buds to leaves is very good.

Bud Structure
The dried buds are rather hard and compact.

Strength / Lasting Effect
The weed affects middle-high to high.

Tolerance Built
fast to average tolerance education.

i know u answered some of this already but if u fill this out it will help people answer questions and give advice .

What Strain is it?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
How Many Plants?
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor?
Soil or Hydro?
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix?
If Soil... What Size Pot?
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
Is it Air Cooled?
Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
RH of Room/Cabinet?
PH of Medium or Reservoir?
Any Pests?
How Often are you Watering?
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Size or Square Footage of Room?

This information is necessary for accurate support to be given.

Thanks devils letuce! Since we are week 4 into flowering. Do they even look like they will be able to be harvested within the 59-64 time period? I have no idea why the nugs are so small.

Here is some more information for the table you provided:

What Strain is it? Swiss Cheese and Unknown
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Swiss cheese predominantly Indica. The unknown are predominantly Sativa.
How Many Plants? 6
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flowering
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? 4 weeks
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Organix soil with bone meal added
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 gallon
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? CFL grow--7 23wts, 2 45wts, and 3 daylight 6500
Is it Air Cooled? Yes- intake and outake fan
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 72 degrees
RH of Room/Cabinet? 40%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.0
Any Pests? some gnats. have water/vinegar to decrease population
How Often are you Watering? once a week
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Jobes organics bone meal. 2.0 total nitrogen. 14.0 phosphate. 15.0 calcium
Size or Square Footage of Room? 3x4

I don't think you are doing bad for your grow. I do think a better light like HPS or LED would help improve things. so woud improving their nutes. are you or Have you considered adding Molasses to the water? a little research here in our forums I'm sure you' find it is the main ingredient to many bossom/bud boosters products and very benefical to the budding/flowering process. A tablespoon or so per gallon of water is a it takes.

Old Hippie thanks for your response. I was actually going to pick up some molasses this evening :) We have spent a good bit in getting the 3 sets of lights both for vegging and for flowering, I do want to do an LED grow after these harvest. How long do you all think I have until I can harvest? They look awfully small. I know I should probably purchase a scope to watch for the tricomes to change, but thought id ask your alls opinion?

Also I bought some sticky paper for the gnats. I didn't realize they were such a big problem until I found them in the dirt -_-

for the gnats i would look into food-grade diatomaceous earth . it works for many pest that want to land on your soil . i dont use cfl's so i cant tell u if u have enough light or not. sorry

with the molasses make sure u get Unsulphured.. grandmas molasses and blackstrap work great .

i would look into a cheap set of nutrients . like general hydro flora series or the fox farm trio.

yes i defiantly feel you are on track for some nice buds . i was just saying they looked a little behind if they were planted in july that's over ten weeks of veg time if they are only 4 weeks into flower .

this plant has 50 days veg and was topped and tied down for a few weeks .
2014-10-05_17-49-07_465.jpg

sorry wrong pic . that was not a good example. this plant vas vegged for 50 days flushed and it has one week in flower .
2014-10-10_20-35-00_733.jpg

I think it's hard to give a reply to when you'll be ready to harvest. The seedbanks/breeders often give a very optimistic flowering times so you can expect to take longer. also certian enviormental factors can change how long it takes too like too much N or farther reduction in the light hours. it makes it so I can't even guess my own grow harvest dates and have decided to et the plants tell me when they are ready.

I think it's hard to give a reply to when you'll be ready to harvest. The seedbanks/breeders often give a very optimistic flowering times so you can expect to take longer. also certian enviormental factors can change how long it takes too like too much N or farther reduction in the light hours. it makes it so I can't even guess my own grow harvest dates and have decided to et the plants tell me when they are ready.

i agree those are just selling points .. and they probably only vegged the plant 3 weeks .

Beautiful plants devils letuce! Yours looks so much taller than mine. Do you know what height your at right now?
Great on the grandmas molasses! I actually got some from a friend of mine - so that should be great! Fox farms always gets
good reviews, it will have to be something I order since no one in this small area has that.

Oldhippie I'm sure it is difficult, everyone has their own experience with different times. Ha. I just hope to get a good yield. We have probably messed something up as we started to veg for so long then switched to sog. I think my roommate had the idea of SOG this entire time.... then I got to thinking what was he thinking...we vegged for so long under a SOG setup....so now I don't know what to expect. The lighting has always been setup for SOG. Erg.... That SOG lighting has possibly stunted the growth of the plants even with such a long veg time.

they are just breaking the one foot mark . like i said i topped her and had her tied down . when i looked at them this morning u could see they were starting to stretch .. my lemon kush grew 6 inches in 2 days which is wierd cause she was behind my other two ladies before the flip and now shes on the move ..

thanks for the compliment .. its all from the passion and what :420: offers. when i first came here i knew nothing . i mean not a damn thing . i thought u just put a seed in the regular dirt and weed grows lmao . u can learn all u need from this one site . u start a grow journal and people will join u and watch your progress and give u tips and advice through the whole process . we like to see people succeed on this site . not like other sites were people are snooty and secretive and sit back and wait for u to make a mistake ..

they are just breaking the one foot mark . like i said i topped her and had her tied down . when i looked at them this morning u could see they were starting to stretch .. my lemon kush grew 6 inches in 2 days which is wierd cause she was behind my other two ladies before the flip and now shes on the move ..

thanks for the compliment .. its all from the passion and what :420: offers. when i first came here i knew nothing . i mean not a damn thing . i thought u just put a seed in the regular dirt and weed grows lmao . u can learn all u need from this one site . u start a grow journal and people will join u and watch your progress and give u tips and advice through the whole process . we like to see people succeed on this site . not like other sites were people are snooty and secretive and sit back and wait for u to make a mistake ..

Nice. Look great. How many grows will this make for you?

That is true about the site; everyone here is very nice and knowledgeable. I've followed different sites, and this is by far the best in grow forums and advice. Like I said in the previous post I do for sure want to start a grow journal when this one can be harvested. I'd like to do an advanced LED in a grow tent. Looked at a few different places, and I think I will purchase individual pieces. I want to fit it in my closest with a 4x4, but it might have to be smaller.

I was wanting to do the next grow in the basement, but it's almost like a cellar and I don't know how to control the temperature or humidity. Afraid I would lose the plants :(

Nice. Look great. How many grows will this make for you?

That is true about the site; everyone here is very nice and knowledgeable. I've followed different sites, and this is by far the best in grow forums and advice. Like I said in the previous post I do for sure want to start a grow journal when this one can be harvested. I'd like to do an advanced LED in a grow tent. Looked at a few different places, and I think I will purchase individual pieces. I want to fit it in my closest with a 4x4, but it might have to be smaller.

I was wanting to do the next grow in the basement, but it's almost like a cellar and I don't know how to control the temperature or humidity. Afraid I would lose the plants :(

i would look into topled panels . we have members here on this site that u can give your specs to and they will give you your options .

i wish i had a basement . u can get equipment to control all that . its better than fighting high temps and high rh in my eyes .

Back
Top Bottom