New Website Comments & Requests

ChicagoJoe

420 Member
Rob and Company, 420magazine.com, 420girls, etc.

:goodjob:

the new look and feel is sweet. It'll take a little getting used to, but
HATS OFF to you.

:thumb:

Looks fantastic...

Happy 420

New Website Updates, Comments and Requests

looks good and runs well. I like the new image viewer and how you can cycle through them all in the popup window, that's a nice feature I like to use in my coding and I'm very happy to see it used here.

One thing for us with huge monitors though, there is a lot of extra space on the left and right margin to accommodate the 980px wide content view, it would be nice if this could stretch to be a % of the screen rather than a set pixel width, but I also understand as far as web standards go, that is a typical width to ensure usability for all users. It isn't a problem, just a comment. After a days use, I'm already used to it.

re: 4/20 Site Update, Bug Reports, and Comments

looks good and runs well. I like the new image viewer and how you can cycle through them all in the popup window, that's a nice feature I like to use in my coding and I'm very happy to see it used here.

One thing for us with huge monitors though, there is a lot of extra space on the left and right margin to accommodate the 980px wide content view, it would be nice if this could stretch to be a % of the screen rather than a set pixel width, but I also understand as far as web standards go, that is a typical width to ensure usability for all users. It isn't a problem, just a comment. After a days use, I'm already used to it.

Now I get the comment I read on another thread saying that 420magazine has got wide hallways. LOL
I didn't even notice on my laptop till I moved the browser to the big monitor.

looks good, :popcorn:

Every thread that you see on your page under New Subscribed Threads.
Offers that option under it, you will see
"Reply | Unsubscribe"
Just right click Unsubscribe. Done...

Make sure it's not "What are you Listening to?" Thread
We need you there siscokid! ;)

Excuse me, but how do I get rid of a subscribed thread that I no longer wish to have on my list?

In addition to the way that The Weed suggested, if you are currently viewing the thread that you wish to unsubscribe from, all you have to do is click on the Thread Tools menu at the top of every thread. That will open a menu(*) that will have either an Unsubscribe or a Subscribe option (whichever applies).

(*)Note to the paranoid: If you are using Firefox and have the NoScript java(etc.)script blocker installed, clicking on the Thread Tools menu will instead open the menu at the bottom of the page. Or you can just approve scripts running from 420Magazine.com and they will all operate correctly.

Where is the logout button?
Ok I found the logout feature, it is only accessible from the Home page? Strange never seen that before?

Over all the site is better the green leaf graphics being gone enable a smoother page scrolling ie less taxing on older video cards.
Also should save a lot of server bandwidth.

Those wanting a wider screen on large monitors try pressing the Ctrl button and hit the + or - keys to zoom in or out. Ctrl and turning the wheel on your mouse will do the same also.

Where is the logout button?
Ok I found the logout feature, it is only accessible from the Home page? Strange never seen that before?

If you are not accessing this site (or others dealing with the subject), it would be advisable to uncheck the "Keep me logged in" option. After all, you never know when an interruption (to you or the computer's power/etc.) will happen that will prevent you from pressing a "Log off" button.

Come to think of it, I guess a lot of people never actually log off from the site and depend on time-outs to take care of it.

I just checked around and it looks like you're correct: There does not seem to be an option to log out in any of the "pop-up" menus. Probably just an oversight (this incarnation of the site is still young yet, lol).

EDIT: There is also a Log Out (User) link at the bottom of the main forum index page, on the right side, just above the big group of sponsor links.

Those wanting a wider screen on large monitors try pressing the Ctrl button and hit the + or - keys to zoom in or out. Ctrl and turning the wheel on your mouse will do the same also.

Thanks, but all that does is magnify the content that is already there. It does not configure the site or the browser to use the other three-and-a-half (or whatever) inches of screen real-estate for any useful purpose.

Although it DOES help those who's eyes are not as young as they used to be as it will magnify everything in the browser's window.

We will be going through this thread over the next few days fixing anything still not working properly. Meanwhile, did you guys see the new Camera icon when posting threads? It lets you choose photos from your gallery to embed in threads, which saves about 420 steps. Hope you guys love it, please let me know if it works well for you. We are also working on getting a link to your gallery from your profiles. ;)

I do not like your new site... News is hidden. Took to long to find the news section... To much promo crap going on. let's just say 420 magazine has gone big corparate... Don't really know if I am coming back... I used to like to comment on what I felt about news items... Thanks for going so long without going corparate on us... I guess it had to happen...

We will be working for several weeks adding more features and moving things around. News is our HIGHest priority, always has been, always will be, but we had to update the site to catch up to the rest of the world and if we don't have more spots for paid sponsors, who will pay our bills? You guys surely don't donate, so we have to do what we can to survive. We don't sell weed, we don't grow it, all we have to sell is ad space. Sorry you are unhappy, can't please everyone. ;)

We will be going through this thread over the next few days fixing anything still not working properly. Meanwhile, did you guys see the new Camera icon when posting threads? It lets you choose photos from your gallery to embed in threads, which saves about 420 steps. Hope you guys love it, please let me know if it works well for you. We are also working on getting a link to your gallery from your profiles. ;)
That would be SWEET! Thanks for everything..
Every thread that you see on your page under New Subscribed Threads.
Offers that option under it, you will see
"Reply | Unsubscribe"
Just right click Unsubscribe. Done...

Make sure it's not "What are you Listening to?" Thread
We need you there siscokid! ;)

I was in the wrong tab, looking at Subscribed Threads and not at the Control Panel.

Oh, "What are you Listening to?" I thought it was "420 Music by all of us free spirited people here at 420 magazine thanks to Cozmo" lol

I would never leave that thread or this site!

I'm just starting to get to know you all. :reading420magazine:

I will be sending (4) 20$ Checks every year as my pledge to 420 Magazine..

Hey can I get a Shirt for that..lol:smokin:

We have not been printing for a few years due to the economy and the print industry in general dying, Sports Illustrated is going under, Playboy is for sale, all print media is struggling, people don't want to cut down trees, they want to read it on their phone or computer. We will be going back to print possibly later this year, however it's almost impossible to make a magazine with 60% content / 40% ads and still break even, let alone make any profit. Right now we are focusing on our internet presence as that seems to be what the rest of the world is doing. We are not chasing ad dollars like most of the weed mags that popped up in the last year, our mission is to create awareness, not to see how many ads we can sell and slap them together and call it a print magazine. Most of them don't even have 10% content, they are all ads. We are less than 10% ads and more than 90% content, you do the math and see where the ethics stand. We have over 100,000 newsletter subscribers in our email database, not print subscribers.

More News boxes will be added to the home page as the days pass, we may even attempt to widen the home page to fit more content. This was an enormous task to get this far after all these years. We truly appreciate your patience and support. Meanwhile, you can use the RSS feeds on the right side of the home page, they each have the most recent 10 news articles from International Cannabis News, Medical Marijuana News and Industrial Hemp News, so you have 30 most recent articles on the home page, I think that was about the same amount we had before, you just need to look for them in a different spot now.

We have not had any decent journalists on staff for a while, thanks for the reminder to send a shout out to the 50 or so that have sent resumes over the last few months. Time to dust them off, gather a small team and begin working our own articles from in house again, as well as spreading the news from other sources. We have been the most comprehensive, up to date resource for Cannabis news in the world, for almost 20 years and plan to continue our progress for many years to come.

Rome was not build in a day, neither was 420, so please continue to have patience and lend your support while we continue to grow together.

Thanks.

I saw a pic in someone's thread earlier and noticed that when I hovered my mouse over it, it was a link(?). So I clicked on it and got a nice expanded view with some options that included a full-screen view (just have to hit F11 to switch the browser window to FS as well for the full affect). If that's part of the newness then it's a good thing. (And if it's not then... I'm slow?)

I do not like your new site... News is hidden. Took to long to find the news section...

I saw the new site design before many after a search-engine dumped me unknowingly into it and I had the same reaction at first (and here I find myself publicly apologizing for an ill-considered comment about it: I'm sorry about that) because I couldn't find anything and looking nice isn't as big a priority to me as function and ease of use.

Then I switched to the mind-set that I used when I tried linux out again last year for the first time in years: If it's not obvious how to do something, I just halted the illogic and followed the rule of "Where should it be? If I'd never seen a computer before today, where would I naturally think to look for it first?" That works for me.

To much promo crap going on. let's just say 420 magazine has gone big corparate... Don't really know if I am coming back... I used to like to comment on what I felt about news items... Thanks for going so long without going corparate on us... I guess it had to happen...

Big corporate? I assume that Rob and his crew still places our safety over his (possibly non-existent) profit. I generally feel safe as houses here and that's something you don't normally get while eating your McCorporate unHappy Meal. So I'm not sure what you mean.

Still... I'm sure that as a paying customer here at 420Magazine that your satisfaction is very important to Rob and that you'll be getting a telephone call and/or laminated site-map ASAP.

Not a paying customer? Well, then, lol. Your satisfaction is still important I imagine but I doubt that he'll be staying up all night getting that map laminated at Kinko's and Fed-Exing it out as the sun rises. Did you think to ask nicely when you couldn't find something? That seems to have gotten several people answers about the new site (and thousands of people many thousands of answers since the site first went online).

I confess that I'm not (yet!) a paying customer either. It's been on my list for a while, but... I do various things for a living to support my "real" job and although they do add the occasional dollar to the wallet, most often I end up doing them for the poor, the old, or the old & poor and when it comes time to collect I find myself thinking up ways to not do so. I wonder how many retirees around here really think that their home/car/etc. is going to be used in a before/after ad or portfolio since that's one I've used a lot the past few years so they don't spend the next few weeks trying to figure out how they got either a freebie or a $300 job for some homemade noodles:grinjoint:.

But donating is on my list and it's above "Go out to eat some time this year." In the meantime I try to give what little help that this one is capable of, even if it's just entertainment and the posting of insomnia-curing epics.

I'd miss this site a lot if it folded <KNOCKS ON WOOD> but I would certainly understand; paying for and supporting a site that has major traffic is not nearly as cheap as those "$9.95" ads lead people to believe - to say nothing of the stress involved in turning your dream into something palatable to the bulk of your user base, keeping a crew of free spirits positive and generally pointed in the same direction, fighting the occasional urge to ban someone after they slam the project instead of saying thanks (or at least thanks for trying) that you worked on and are proud of and just unveiled to the public, etc. Then there's the fact that while you might work for free, some of the people that you depend on most certainly do not. I'm guessing that there's at least one person on the staff that is a fully-paid employee, if only to guarantee that he's available at all times even when your crew of volunteers is busy with life. Working for the site in just about any fashion would kind of be a dream-job for me if I could do it from my area (family in rapidly-failing health and need to be within "drop everything and make it there before it's too late" mode from time-to-time), but I'm guessing that I couldn't afford to at this time, lol. I better add "Purchase a lottery ticket" to my wish-list.

Maybe Rob first started this site with a thought to it one day supporting him, maybe not - who knows? But I was reading an old thread (I do that) recently where he'd stated the amount of donations that he'd gotten up to that point in time and if it were averaged out per day of site-uptime you'd probably have to use coins of denominations that haven't been minted in the US since 1857. If he's married he must have an understanding wife since when I was I got The Speech about having to end my hobbies a time or ten - and they were almost certainly cheaper ones than operating this site.

Guess I'm done rambling for a minute, lol.

EDIT: As far as 420-related news, I discovered earlier that Jack Herer had passed on (RiP) thanks to this site.

Back
Top Bottom