new years in amsterdam

BluntKilla

so after 8 years of smoking pot i get to fulfill my fantasy of the past 8 years and most pot smokers dream who dont live in europe to go to amsterdam! i have been wanting to go for the longest time and finally i get to go, i am leaving on the 26th and just need to ask, any suggestions? i know theres probably a couple of you who live there and many people who have been, but it would be cool to get some posts before i go on cool places to go, thanks.:bong:

Re: new yrs in amsterdam

Top Three Places to go:

Homegrown Fantaseeds
Grey Area
The Bulldog Cafe

Take some great pics, have a great time, make us all proud, and don't be a fool..keep it cool. I'm sure if 420 sees these posts---maybe he'll agree or recommend a few places too...I don't know any redlight stops just greenlight ones.

Laters,

Shaggy J

make it back safely and don't risk takin' any prime product back with ya....it's really not worth prison (i.m.h.o.)

Bluntkilla, I\'ve been to Amsterdam many times, including for New Years. Oh boy are you in for a treat. First, a bit on lodging:
I dont know how old you are, but if you are 25 and under, you might want to consider staying at a HOSTEL. A hostel is cheap lodging for "younger" travelers (Although that's just generaly speaking, many older travelers use hostels as well) so your funds acn be spent on weed, hash, and other fun stuff. For one bed in a 12 beded room in Amsterdam, it would run you about 25 bucks a night(after taxes). For 1 bed in a 4 room dorm, that would run you about 30 bucks a night. The best Hostel in Amsterdam in terms of quality is the Vondelpark Hostel (Part of Hostel International). Although they dont allow smoking inside, they are a top notch hostel with a bar and travel center in their balcony, excellent facillities, its practicaly a hotel. Also, when I stayed there, I smoked weed like a chimminy (as well as my three friends who I was traveling with). We just covered up the fire alarm with a plastic zip lock bag and bloew smoke out the window. Each room has it's own Shower and bathroom (as well as a personal locker for you to put your stuff in) which is pretty rare in hostels, as most hostels have a community bathroom/shower per floor (not per room).
For a FUN hostel, although not as nice, stay at the Flying Pig (Downtown), which ALSO has a shower/bathroom per room. They ENCOURAGE smoking on their premisies, and have free DVDs and such for you to watch.
If you have the cash, i H I G H L Y recomend you stay at the CROWN PLAZA Hotel. World class, nice rooms, and excellent location (Practicaly surrounded by the BEST coffee shops in Amsterdam, close to the train station, and right down the street from the city center, the place where everyone gathers for New Years). You wont find a nicer hotel in Amsterdam.
For NEW YEARS, expect total insanity. EVERYONE and their mother has bottle rockets and fireqworks, and tey luine them on the street untiol theres NO empty pavement and shoot them off during New Years. EVERYONE is in the streets, and the fireworks and drinking and smoing and fungus eating are insane. THe fireowrks and partying go on well after midnight, until about 5am when people start to doze off or go home.
I ate some special mushrooms for the ocasion, I recomend the MEXICAN kind, although if you ask the seller in the "smart shop", they will be able to recomend specific strains for whatever you wish to happen (IE: I told the dude I wanted to feel super happy without any of the insightful drama that sometimes follows fungus eating....he accomodated me with mexican fungus).
If you are a meat eater, keep your eyes peeled for a place called "Jennifer Sandwitch". THe Jennifer Sandwitch is a HUGE subway style sandwitch made with Lamb Kebab, Pork Kebab, Beef Kabab, and chicken Kebab. It's huge, It's delicous. It's very satisfying. You WONT regert ordering it.
Make CERTAIN you visit BARNEYS (A coffeeshop) at least ONCE for Breakfast (And of course, weed, since they are one of the BEST shops \for fine weed and hash). Kep in mind also that you are expected to sit at large tables with lots of people already sitting at them, with one or two seats open. In America, if two people are sitting in a Booth, and the palce is full, you wait until the booth becomes vacant. In Amsterdam, you sit wherever there is space. Ask first though, "Is it ok if I sit here". It feels strange at first, but you meet the most interesting people that way. You'll get used to this quickly, as any time you want to sit down and eat at a coffeeshop, you wuill most likely have to share a table with starnger. Thats the best way to make INTERNATIONAL friends. In factm after a while, thats how you spot Americans...they will enter a coffeeshop, and just kind of stand and stare, waiting for a private booth to open up for them, as people come in after them, spot a seat, and sit down LOL.
GOOD LUCK figuring out the metro system over there LOL! I found it easier to just walk (Amsterdam isnt that big of a city) wherever I was going. Remember, not JUST weed can be found in Amsterdam. The Anne Frank house is worth a visit, as well of course as the Van Goh and Rembrandt museums. Dont pass up those wonderfull, possibly once in a lifetime oppertunities to visit these places.
If you are interested in popping down in a movie theatre whiole blitzed off of some yummy edibles or high off of some incredible hash, there is a movie theatre around the corner (practicaly right around the corner) from the BULL DOG CAFE, the one thats near Vondlepark (South West Amsterdam; you can find maps of the city for free at most hostels and hotels), that shows movies in English. The screen is....heh.....pretty small....but when your fucked up it doesnt matter.
Almost EVERY store in Europe shuts down on january 1st. maske sure you are LOADED up with supplies before then, or you will have to wait until the 2nd.
Do NOT go to the Red Light District alone AT NIGHT. If you want to go at night, make sure you bring a friend or two along. I persoanly ran into SEVEAL travelers who were robbed by knifepoint in the RLD. Daytime is pretty safe (and of course, NO PICTURES unless you want your ass beat LOL). I personaly had to outrun two knife weilding dudes and I was just walking around the alleys (Almost all of Amsterdam is alleys) near my hotel at midnight. Amsterdam is safe, just dont go wnadering around at night, it becomes much seadier.
Check out the Heniken Brewery Tour FOR SURE! You are given 3 ticket vouchers for a free glass of beer (IE: 3 free beers). most people drink ONE beer, then dump their tickets on the table. Well, that's when you collect them all my friend, so you haev as many free beers, right off of the tap, as you want. And that heinekan right off the tap, in Amsterdam, tastes sooooo good. At the end of the tour, you get a free tin and beer glass, well worth the price of admission (7 Euros last time I went). Also, there is a free photo messaging machine on the tour so you can take a picture of yourself and email it to whomever for free.
You are going to LOVE New Years in Amsterdam my friend. Let me know fi therss any more info you want.
-PM

damn PM you even have me checking out airfare now :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yeah, me and a buddy are saving up to go in 07 or 08. Now what pm has said about newyears in amsterdam, Im thinking of going then. Man I can't wait. Have fun Bluntkilla.

I was cautious my first time in amsterdam cause I kept hearing that it wasnt safe. Well me and my sis went and we weren't even bothered once and we walked around the red light district and the alleys very late at night. s just be careful like you always ould be anywhere you are but don't be too paranoid to the point where you can't enjoy yourself.

you should definanlty research as much as you can before you go. the best place to stay in my opinion is near Dam Square. I stayed at a nice hotel named the noga hilton(nh) krasnopolsky. I would def recommend anyone to stay there but ask for the royal square view. its probably cheaper than the crown plaza.

barney's breakfast bar is sooo good you gotta stop by that place have a nice brekfast and try their vaporizers. abraxas was my fav coffeeshop but there are so many so go see them all. grey area is literally a box but the owner is cool so go support him and try the doublebubblegum.

while you are there go to some museums like the museum of sex and the van gogh museum and the heinkein experience and the anne frank house, weed and hash museums, madame tussaud wax museum and Vondelpark.

some coffeeshops serve alcohol so check those out for a little pick me up. um what else it really really cold this time of year so bring the right cloths. try out the metro to explore around. try frenchfries w mayonaise and watch out for them damn ppl on bikes. they will run ur ass over they def have the right of way over there. check out the redlight district cuz u can find some gorgous females. find some smart shops is the last thing i will say they have some "other" stuff you might enjoy.
have fun you lucky SOB

Have a great time man, smoke till ya drop. Yeah I heard that it's easy to spot americans over there. The locals making comments on how silly americans act when they lite up. So just play it cool, even if you're baked out of your skull. I'm seriously looking into moving to the netherlands and opening up my own little hash bar. Just need the $$ first. Good luck man!

I agree completely with isos and PM, as I go to Holland about once a year to visit family. Barney's has a phenomenal breakfast, Abraxas is also a great place to chill, and the guy from Grey Area was very helpful. Also check out Bluebird if you like jazz, and Dampking has a unique vibe. If you want to meet fellow Americans, the Bulldog cafes seem to attract alot of US travelers. For a good education on growing, check out Sensi seeds.

While I thought the Red Light district was great and felt safe, just watch out for the back alleys and pickpockets.

If you want to experience something really cool, you can travel about 40 minutes outside of town to the Kroller Mueller museum. Has a lot of good impressionists and great sculpture garden. The best part is you can hop on one of the hundreds of white bikes they have outside, as it's located within the Hoge Veluwe national park that has some really cool forests and open area with a huge herd of elk. Used to be a hunting preserve or something, and there is another small nature museum there as well. For that trip, definitely visit one of the smart shops first and pick up some goodies. I really enjoyed the hawaiian fungi for that trip.

Have a great time!!!

oh yeah, I almost forgot. You have to check out the grow stores there. They gotta have some kick ass equipment

Bluntkilla, anyone whos been to Amsterdam could ramble on for HOURS about what you should see and do. You're going to freaking LOVE IT...and realize how weird it is NOT being able to walk into any speciality shop and order a pack of joints when you get back to the states.
-PM

Isn't some of their "streets" actually canals? That's so awesome, talk about low car crash rates, lol. Get high and go for a boat ride

i think the canals might freeze in the winter? im not sure but it gets cold there and when its cold out water tends to freeze sometimes?

Well, they don't have the type of blunts or blunt wraps they have in America is what he means I think. My buddy couldn't find blunt wraps (Although they DO sell them at The Grey Area which is owned by some Americans, or at least 2 years ago you could get them there) when we went so he just disected a cigar and rolled one up like that. I SUCK at rolling joints, so I was desperately looking for a black and mild to un-load and re-load, but the European verison just wasnt the same. European joints are rolled basbeball bat style, and you'd be smart to learn how to roll one that way to blend in. Americans are always spotted because we roll our joints differently. Besides, the baseball bat style is better anyway (but a pain in the ass to learn), mmuch smoother with a filter and a bit more weed in the joint.
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
Well, they don't have the type of blunts or blunt wraps they have in America is what he means I think. My buddy couldn't find blunt wraps (Although they DO sell them at The Grey Area which is owned by some Americans, or at least 2 years ago you could get them there) when we went so he just disected a cigar and rolled one up like that. I SUCK at rolling joints, so I was desperately looking for a black and mild to un-load and re-load, but the European verison just wasnt the same. European joints are rolled basbeball bat style, and you'd be smart to learn how to roll one that way to blend in. Americans are always spotted because we roll our joints differently. Besides, the baseball bat style is better anyway (but a pain in the ass to learn), mmuch smoother with a filter and a bit more weed in the joint.
-PM

yeeeeah i roll my shit cone style or baseball style(sameshiT) but i dont add tobacco cause i got asthma and i smoke weed all the time and im fine but if i smoke a cigarette my shit will be fucked up for hours man :grinjoint: :grinjoint: p-monkey when you went over there was it crazy getting all these different highs probably then you normally got in america?? you might not be the practical person to ask cause you got med mj so your used to strains and shit..but if i went over there i bet i would be gettin a completely differentc razy high or some shit..:grinjoint: :grinjoint:

mind I went there and all i remember was taking long ass naps 3 times a day cuz i was so high and my eyes were so red but i didnt really notice any different feelings of high than i would with US bud but thats just me i dont know about other ppl.

Back
Top Bottom