New Zealand has the highest recorded cannabis arrest rate in the world, at 606 people arrested per 100,000 population per year. The United States is second with 247 arrests per 100,000 population per year.
this was reported in 2008 check our population ...wonder what it was then? Right now its 4,598,976
as at Tuesday, 07 Jul 2015 at 06:58:04 p.m. Source http://http://www.stats.govt.nz/tools_and_services/population_clock.aspx ...I guess we can thank meth for coming and kinda taking a little heat off of weed but the stats are more than likely still as outrageous! Sad place man. As a kiwi am disgusted at that bust rate man, and also as part of the statistic in that bust rate.
NZ's high cannabis arrest rate makes sobering reading
Friday, 26 June 2015, 10:06 am
Press Release: NORML
NZ's high cannabis arrest rate makes sobering reading on Support, Don't Punish day
To mark global "Support, Don't Punish" day today, NORML has collated figures for cannabis apprehensions since 1994, or half the four decades the Misuse of Drugs Act has been in force.
Support, Don't Punish day aims to focus attention on the harmful aspects of criminal drug laws while calling for more support for those drug users who actually need it.
"Current policy heavily emphasises punishment," says Chris Fowlie, spokesperson for NORML, who notes that more than 10,000 people will be prosecuted by police for cannabis this year.
"The Misuse of Drugs Act 1975 was passed forty years ago. It’s obvious this law has failed miserably. Use rates remain among the highest in the world, despite draconian search powers, heavily punitive sanctions, one of the highest arrest rates in the world and even the involvement of our military," said Mr Fowlie.
"The figures for cannabis arrests that we uncovered make for sobering reading!"
• Over 449,000 people were arrested for drugs in that 20-year period, or eleven per cent of all recorded crime
• 85% of all drug arrests are for cannabis, contrary to Government assurances they concentrate on serious crime
• 87% of all cannabis arrests are for personal amounts, contrary to Police assurances they don’t arrest pot smokers
• That’s an average of 18,000 cannabis arrests per year, or fifty per day, every single day. Another every 29 minutes!
• Counting just people arrested for small personal cannabis gives an average of 15,800 per year or 43 people arrested every single day (one every 33 minutes).