New Zealand - Tanczos Will Not Have Cannabis Role

Hash

Returning Green Party MP Nandor Tanczos has swapped his role as spokesperson on cannabis law reform for a focus on the environment.

Mr Tanczos has previously campaigned for a liberalisation of the cannabis laws.

But the Green Party said he proposed the role remain with fellow MP Metiria Turei, who last month picked up the Associate Health ( alcohol and drugs ) portfolio.

This was accepted by the party caucus at a meeting this morning, it said.

Mr Tanczos will instead take on a broad range of environment portfolios as well as retaining justice and constitutional issues.

Mr Tanczos said: "Metiria will do a fantastic job as drug law reform spokesperson, and this is a good opportunity for me to demonstrate my strengths in new areas.

"I am particularly looking forward to making use of my background in sustainable land management.

"I have worked quietly on environmental issues in the past and am now ready to step up and tackle some of the more prominent challenges to our ecological integrity."

Mr Tanczos was returned to Parliament following the death of Green Party leader Rod Donald earlier this month.

He was appointed spokesperson for justice, electoral reform, constitutional issues, information and communication technology, statistics, land information, as well as environment and waste and sustainable land management.

Source: New Zealand Herald (New Zealand)
Copyright: 2005 New Zealand Herald

Back
Top Bottom