Newbie CFL grow - Need some help

awesome.. just having you guys comment makes a world of difference...
Now LAB-- if you notice on the drawing, the closet is separated into 2 different sections.. the upper portion is for veg, and lower for flowering. i am trying to use 1 exhaust for both environments.
So my thoughts here, to create pressure, i'm going to have 2 x 6" exhaust powered by a inline with 8" fan pulling 400cfm. Now to create the suction, my inlets are going to be 2 x 3" with some pvc elbows to make for light proofing. so i'll have 12" going out and 6" coming in.. This seems like it would create the negative pressure i need to keep the odor down, and no light leaks.

Now this plan i've conjured up is all based upon my hours of research on this and other forums (mainly this one.. haha). So if anyone has anyyyyy input i would love it. I'm not gonna construct this for the next 2 weeks, so i have alittle time to really sort out my plans.

With this plan, my veg cabinet is 15 cubic feet, and my flower cab is 17 cubic feet.
My plans are to have a mother + 2 new plants in the veg at all times, and 4-5 clones going with 1-2 full plants in flowering as well.
SO does it sound like with 33 cubic feet, i'll have enough space. this is all using CFL's and soil. any thoughts here guys..

20140702_1743541.jpg

I would run the baffle horizontal instead of vertical between the 2 chambers
Diy_Light_Baffle1.jpg

ahhh i love the input, but heres the issue.. on the left side of the cabinet is an exterior wall. what i'm doing is converting a floor to ceiling fixture into a half grow cab. now on the right side of the cabinet i have access too. thats why i designed it where the odor bucket and inline fan are there..

this is the where the closet is gonna be.. the little girl is on the top vegging, and the bottom will be the flower box
20140703_132549.jpg

by the way this is my little girl today.. she's doing so well.. all thanks to you guys..
20140703_132524.jpg

now on the front, i'm gonna seal up the how with a sheet of ply wood. on that ply wood is where i'm going to be drilling in my intake vents..
i think i've possibly decided on 3" intakes with a 90 degree elbow and 10 inches of 3 in pipe for the light proof.. of course everything inside the box will be pained flat black to increase the light proofing from the outside world.. i'm very worried about this for the flowering box..

also on the right side of the cabinet is a divider between the closet sections.. and i'm trying to cut as little of that as possible.. so i love your idea.. i just don't know if that will work

UPDATE:
Does she look normal. Color wise at least. i know the leaves are deformed.. haven't got a straight answer on on why or if it's bad..
also i got a gauge so i figured out it's 81 with lights on and 35% humidity.. i'm trying to add humidity into the air but it's not working real well. anyways heres the pics with the plant color, from the top, and the new correctly done top.
20140705_214844.jpg
20140705_173958.jpg
20140705_214926.jpg

any comments are very welcomed.. thanks guys..

The pic right above the words "BUD ROT" I believe looks very similar to yours, it says above the 2 pics it is Potassium def. caused by lock out, I believe it to be that or wrinkled leaves can be indicative of significant PH fluctuation.

I counted it as the 28th picture.

Wow.. great find. Yeah I've been monitoring the PH as it appears the soil is high. It says had lime juice which I have, but how do I add it into the soil?
I didn't have any PH testing equipment so for the first 3 weeks it was whatever came out of the faucet. Then once it was tested it was around 7.5. So I now PH my water to around 5.5 to compensate. That makes my run off 6.5ish after passing thru the soil... So how do you recommend the Cheapest way to bring the soil ph down?

Good morning Lab. (and anyone else reading):Namaste:
Thanks again for all the input and help you've been from the very beginning.. i have some questions regarding one of the simplest things, but i just feel unsure until i hear the exact answer. it's regarding flushing the soil. i understand why we do it, but i'm curious of the counter effect (over watering). Should i be more worried about over watering, or the PH of my soil. now i obviously know the answer here is worried about PH but what i think is happening is i'm not running enough water thru the soil when i do it. I only use about a gallon at a time. now the run off i'm testing is coming out in the 6.0-6.5 range (thats using 5.5 adjusted starting with 8 outta the tap, adding nuts making it 7.0 the ph down to get 5.5, running it thru my soil, which my 4 way meter say it's 7.0) but my thoughts here is with only running a 1 gal thru a 3 gal pot, is it flushing to the fullest (and doing its job)? cause the soil PH doesn't change on the meter. (i know 4 ways' suck but it should change alittle right?) i know when they talk about a flowering flush, that it's suppose to be 3 gallons per every gallon of soil. i see the horrid over watering post and pics and i def wanna stay away from that.. lol

Now my second sunday question is this? i know during darkness, during flowering, light leaks are a complete NO NO. but what about during veg. cause honestly the cab i'm growing in, it's not completely light proof. is this going to effect the sex of my plant? it's not getting direct light, it's in a cab, surrounded by cardboard, with a louvered door shut, behind a blanket.. lol so the light it gets is very very very minimal.. lol now by the time i'm flowering anything, i will have a sealed light proof room, cause i know that will screw up my baby.. thanks again for all the help.. couldn't do it without you..

Yes PH is more important in my opinion.

Flushing is preformed for 2 reasons.

1) Nutrient burn: solution is to flush 2x the amount of water through the pot then the size of the pot. So a 3 gallon pot should be flushed with 6 gallons of PH adjusted water.

2) Preparing for harvest: Method is to water as normal without nutrients but PH balanced water, some will say do not PH balance the water but I would not be one of them.

As far as your comment about over watering; over watering is not done during a single watering but done by watering every day or a couple times a day.

The proper method of watering your plants is to water it by saturating the medium until you get runoff out the bottom of the pot, then not watering again until the medium is mostly dry, the top 1-2 inches of the medium will be dry and the pot will be very light. If the leaves start to droop you have probably waited a few hours too long, to many hours too long, but this will give you good experience as to when your ladies require watering(make sure to lift the pot every time before watering).

It is not very important during vegetative growth. No it will not effect the sex of the plant.

It is called a Stipule. At least that what it appears to be to me.

The_Early_Female_Preflower1.jpg

MONDAY MORNING UPDATE::
WOOHOOO she's still alive.. lol hahaha no no no nothing serious has happened.. i did, however wake up to the most potent smell yet. smelled like i had weed growing or something... so last night i decided i was going to dive deep into LST. i have some butchers twine i will be using. Now since i figure i'm about 1/3 thru veg, i figure this is a great time to start playing..
after the little girl woke up this morning, i was very surprised to see the humidity in the 60% range.. it did rain this morning but i haven't seen it that high since i've started this grow. i hope the little girl enjoyed it this morning

SO the pics.. first of the LST job i'm starting..
20140707_122739.jpg

only 2 strings to start leanering her..
20140707_123053.jpg

20140707_122944.jpg

this is around the her 3rd from the top node
20140707_122754.jpg
20140707_122820.jpg
20140707_122828.jpg
20140707_122932.jpg
20140707_123003.jpg
20140707_123114.jpg

Now this did seem strange to me.. looks like something is eating my baby.. i don't know tho.. any ideas..
20140707_123014.jpg

any comments are so welcomed.. i tried to get a few more shots of the nodes were the stipule are..

See whats happened here lab, is i started asking questions, and got a really good response from you guys.. then i started a journal and no one commented.. so thats why i've been posting here and in the journal and also in a nute burn or light burn thread.. you guys are so helpful and i want all the help i can get.. i'm sorry for posting multiple times in different places, i know in forum world that is discouraged upon.. sorry guys... heres the link for the journal and it's also in my signature..
CFL - Bag Seed - Soil - First Grow

Back
Top Bottom