Newbie: curling leaves

Little1985

Hi guys new to the site but been using site for a while

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on why my top leaves are curling.
20180816_150146.jpg
it's nearly 3 weeks into flower
Using house garden a+b and multi zyme at moment
1.2-1.4 e.g. and feeding schedule is feed/feed/water
Strain is lemon cheese

Using the weight of pot and checking if soil is dry down to.first buckle
Would you say I'm feeding them too much?

The best way I know of to determine when to water. Kudos! I think, however, I'd push them a bit further into a thirst mode and skip watering for a few additional days and see if they perk up. If available, put a fan on them and create a gentle breeze for a few days. Use moderation since heavy winds can cause burns easily when they're limp like this. Many are of the mindset that placing the plant in an artificially arid state can promote root growth. The roots will branch out more in search of moisture.

In my experience, if the leaves feel limp, flaccid it's generally an indication of overwatering or sometimes early stages of nitrogen toxicity. If the lighting isn't giving me a false indication, it appears the plant is really dark which is another indication of possible nitrogen toxicity. During the flowering stage, it's a good idea to decrease the nitrogen a bit.

Heat stress can also give the same appearance but the leaves will have more of a dry leathery feel to them. Don't discount heat stress even when the thermometer doesn't indicate it. There are two types of heat; convective and radiant. Radiant heat can definitely be very harsh on your plant without tipping your thermometer unless it's directly under the light. Not sure of your light source but LED's are the bigger culprits for this.

May well be light you know come to mention it
One plant is g13 and the other lemon cheese

The lemon cheese shot up and is much closer to the light

The leaves are dark and do feel leathery

Would make sense as only the top leaves are effected really

Using 1×600 hps
The plant is about 12 inches away from light but to the side of the light not directly under it if you know what I mean

Understand what you're saying. Good information.

Since the leaves are stiff and leathery and the ones predominately effected are nearest the light source, let's make an analytical presumption that we're dealing with some radiant induced heat stress.

The only time I experienced this was also under an hps lamp as well. It was late in the flowering stage and unfortunately it never fully recovered. The symptoms didn't progress but development became stagnated. It was as if it was in suspended animation and the leaves continued to be very leathery. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

The hps lamp is omnidirectional and only limited by the reflector hood. Even if it's not directly under the lamp, if there is line of sight between the lamp and plant, it can be just as effective even at an angle.
The distance you've sited isn't extreme but let's try to get a little more space for the effected plant.

If vertical space allows, the best remedy would be to tie her down. Pick a point on the main stem near the top that is still large enough to handle some stress. Use some type of soft tie (I like pipe cleaners) and tie her down forming a gentle bow. This will give the added benefit of allowing more light for the bud sites in the lower areas of the plant and increase yield.

Keep us posted. Anxious to hear how you do.

20180816_195535.jpg
This is how far from the light it is
I tied down the tops a little after I took this photo so the tops are a little so there closer to the back wall and also curled the light reflector down towards the floor on both sides to try and block a little.of the light
Lets see what happens in the next week
Had a look this morning and the new leaves on top are a lot more straight so fingers crossed

Would you say to carry on feeding as I am or give it water for the next few feeds

Hi guys new to the site but been using site for a while

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on why my top leaves are curling.
20180816_150146.jpg
it's nearly 3 weeks into flower
Using house garden a+b and multi zyme at moment
1.2-1.4 e.g. and feeding schedule is feed/feed/water
Strain is lemon cheese
Few issues to trouble shoot here are

1. Over watering ? Soil how often ?

2.Temperatures and to high humidity of plant don’t like it it will say unhappy too.

Pest can also make your plants look that way as well. I’d say trouble shoot those then if nothing try to lower light ?

I don't think so watering every 3ish days
Sitting at about 26 degrees so not heat
Well you into flowering maybe they are drinking more now ? So feed more often then think ? Go by lifting pot get comfortable with light pot to watered pot . Hmm

20180813_160740.jpg
This was it a 2 days ago with only 1 or 2 leaves effected
What about lightbdistanxe and how far away mayeb not even power now ? Lower lights aeenif helps makes them happier ? What kind of loght and power and how far in what size space ?

The best way I know of to determine when to water. Kudos! I think, however, I'd push them a bit further into a thirst mode and skip watering for a few additional days and see if they perk up. If available, put a fan on them and create a gentle breeze for a few days. Use moderation since heavy winds can cause burns easily when they're limp like this. Many are of the mindset that placing the plant in an artificially arid state can promote root growth. The roots will branch out more in search of moisture.

In my experience, if the leaves feel limp, flaccid it's generally an indication of overwatering or sometimes early stages of nitrogen toxicity. If the lighting isn't giving me a false indication, it appears the plant is really dark which is another indication of possible nitrogen toxicity. During the flowering stage, it's a good idea to decrease the nitrogen a bit.

Heat stress can also give the same appearance but the leaves will have more of a dry leathery feel to them. Don't discount heat stress even when the thermometer doesn't indicate it. There are two types of heat; convective and radiant. Radiant heat can definitely be very harsh on your plant without tipping your thermometer unless it's directly under the light. Not sure of your light source but LED's are the bigger culprits for this.
Great call on to high nitrogen def can cause a claw saggy like drooping fans happened to me last winter .

So I've tied down the top stems so.there a little closer to the wall

Curled the side of the light reflector down towards the floor and just going to wait till the plant in question is very dry before only.giving water for a week

Any other suggestions anyone would like to add

Back
Top Bottom