Newbie First Grow - How Does Flowering & Budding Start?

BikerBear

Hi Folks,

This is my first grow, and my girls appear to be doing quite well. They were started from seed on 5th April. All look healthy, and are about 12" tall. All are in soil, in a grow tent, under LED grow lights (2x) of approx 100w light equivalent. The other 3x lights are 100w equivalent LED 6500k Daylight Bulbs. All lighting is currently on 24/7.

My newbie question is... does flowering/bud formation occur automatically? Or do I force the budding by changing the light schedule to, say, 18/6?

I have been reading the FAQ's and the "How To" guides on this fantastic forum, but as a beginner I find all of the information to be a bit overwhelming at times (not complaining at all).

Thanks in advance!!!

:thumb:

re: Newbie First Grow - How Does Flowering & Budding Start?

If they are photo period plants then you will need to switch your light schedule to 12/12 to start them flowering. Theoretically a photo period plant will stay in vegetation until it sees this light cycle.

If you have autoflowering plants, then it makes no difference what the light schedule is, they will begin flowering as soon as they are mature.

:thumb: This is when the fun starts!!

If they are photo period plants then you will need to switch your light schedule to 12/12 to start them flowering. Theoretically a photo period plant will stay in vegetation until it sees this light cycle.

If you have autoflowering plants, then it makes no difference what the light schedule is, they will begin flowering as soon as they are mature.

:thumb: This is when the fun starts!!

How do I determine whether I have autoflowering or photo period plants??? See, told you I was a newbie!!! :)

:cheesygrinsmiley::cheesygrinsmiley:

How do I determine whether I have autoflowering or photo period plants??? See, told you I was a newbie!!! :)

did you buy seeds or were they bagseed? If you planted almost 2 months ago they are photo plants. Auto's would've started flowering around the 3rd or 4th week

If you planted two months ago and there's no pistils forming, it's more than likely a photoperiod plant. That means you'll need to change the lighting to 12/12 to get buds forming. Keep in mind though, hormones do take time so it takes a week or two before you'll see buds.

The plant could also be male and might not form buds at all. We can help you determine that with a photo of your plant.

did you buy seeds or were they bagseed? If you planted almost 2 months ago they are photo plants. Auto's would've started flowering around the 3rd or 4th week

I bought seeds from a seed supplier. So, I'll assume they are photo plants based on what you have said. I'll be uploading pics later today as soon as I can take them....

:thanks:

If you planted two months ago and there's no pistils forming, it's more than likely a photoperiod plant. That means you'll need to change the lighting to 12/12 to get buds forming. Keep in mind though, hormones do take time so it takes a week or two before you'll see buds.

The plant could also be male and might not form buds at all. We can help you determine that with a photo of your plant.

Thanks SmokieBear.... I'll get some pics uploaded shortly...

Ok, here we go.... The first two were at birth around 15th April :cheesygrinsmiley:

IMG_048733.JPG
IMG_048637.JPG

The next 5 are of each plant as of today, June 3rd. There are 3 different strains of plant.... Sorry for the 90-degree rotation; they look normal orientation on my computer. Can't quite figure out how to rotate them in the gallery....

IMG_056437.JPG
IMG_056335.JPG
IMG_056139.JPG
IMG_055938.JPG
IMG_055838.JPG

Thanks for all of your assistance and advice! :thanks:

They look female to me, but a few pictures I can't enlarge to see.

What kind of seeds are they?

King's Kush and Dutch Passion.... In reviewing the order from the shop, they both say "Auto" on the description. So, do I assume they are auto flowering, and therefore leave the lights on 24/7???

Thanks again!

Newbie First Grow - How Does Flowering & Budding Start?

IMO, there is no way those are autos. Autos typically finish in about 2 months and yours have not started flowering. Granted, it might be an auto strain that is slow growing, but I believe the more logical explanation is that your order might've been fudged. Seems like that is happening more and more with some seed banks...

:tokin:

Re: Newbie First Grow - How Does Flowering & Budding Start?

IMO, there is no way those are autos. Autos typically finish in about 2 months and yours have not started flowering. Granted, it might be an auto strain that is slow growing, but I believe the more logical explanation is that your order might've been fudged. Seems like that is happening more and more with some seed banks...

Thanks UltraDan! So, what should I do about the lighting frequency??? Should I just leave as is (24/7)? Or take a risk and start, say, 18/6 cycle??? Being a newbie, I have a LOT to learn; so thanks for all of your assistance!!

:thumb:

If you are ready for them to start flowering then you can switch to 12/12 as soon as you want. It will take a few days before they show sex.

Since you've been on 24/0 lighting, they haven't had time to sleep (that's when they typically grow more) so they are probably going to stretch quite a bit.

If it were me, I would drop them to 18/6 for a week or so and train them a little to prepare for flowering. You can expect most strains to stretch 2-3 times their size when switching to flower, so make sure you are prepared for that height in your grow room.

You can keep photo plants in vegetation for a long time. This gives you time to adjust them, train them and prepare them for the best possible flowering.

If you are ready for them to start flowering then you can switch to 12/12 as soon as you want. It will take a few days before they show sex.

Since you've been on 24/0 lighting, they haven't had time to sleep (that's when they typically grow more) so they are probably going to stretch quite a bit.

If it were me, I would drop them to 18/6 for a week or so and train them a little to prepare for flowering. You can expect most strains to stretch 2-3 times their size when switching to flower, so make sure you are prepared for that height in your grow room.

You can keep photo plants in vegetation for a long time. This gives you time to adjust them, train them and prepare them for the best possible flowering.

Brilliant!!! Thank you so much.... I will follow that routine on the lighting!!

Wish me and my babies luck!!!! :thanks:

:joint:

Back
Top Bottom