Newbie Grow with a BloomBox

DocBud, k,thanks for the tip, was afraid to start clipping away as to not removing anyplace a bud might like to be. Looks like I can use some of my ol landscaping skills tonight but on a much smaller scale, snip snip, that sucks, hermies I wasn't too worried about but wasn't expecting males. Will keep a sharp lookout for those.

Thank yungBeartokin, the box did most of the work and all the great feedback and advice came from experienced growers commenting on this thread. Kick ass folks on this site!

Thanks NG1, sorry you weren't too pleased with your producer, trust me, if I had the space I think I would go the way you are now. These things do have the heat issues and summer is not even here yet. The ghetto frozen 2L and 1gal water jugs have helped out alot though. With the 1gals, it actually keeps box temp no more than 2-3 degrees above ambient, the res nice and cool, and humidity fairly constant.

Shoot, the HPS should be kickin on in a few, maybe I won't wait for tonight to tidy things up a bit :)

DocBud, k,thanks for the tip, was afraid to start clipping away as to not removing anyplace a bud might like to be. Looks like I can use some of my ol landscaping skills tonight but on a much smaller scale, snip snip, that sucks, hermies I wasn't too worried about but wasn't expecting males. Will keep a sharp lookout for those.

Thank yungBeartokin, the box did most of the work and all the great feedback and advice came from experienced growers commenting on this thread. Kick ass folks on this site!

Thanks NG1, sorry you weren't too pleased with your producer, trust me, if I had the space I think I would go the way you are now. These things do have the heat issues and summer is not even here yet. The ghetto frozen 2L and 1gal water jugs have helped out alot though. With the 1gals, it actually keeps box temp no more than 2-3 degrees above ambient, the res nice and cool, and humidity fairly constant.

Shoot, the HPS should be kickin on in a few, maybe I won't wait for tonight to tidy things up a bit :)

One thing I learned recently is that pruning increases usable yield. If you leave to lowermost branches on, you get small, wispy, popcorn buds. If you trim them off, you don't necessarily get more overall yield, but more usable yield.....

In other words, fewer number of buds, bud larger buds. Much less work, much better quality, better bag appeal, etc.

Give 'em a little trim...it helps with air flow as well.

One thing I learned recently is that pruning increases usable yield. If you leave to lowermost branches on, you get small, wispy, popcorn buds. If you trim them off, you don't necessarily get more overall yield, but more usable yield.....

In other words, fewer number of buds, bud larger buds. Much less work, much better quality, better bag appeal, etc.

Give 'em a little trim...it helps with air flow as well.

Right on Doc! I trimmed up the stuff that was in contact with the T5s and kicked em on. Will do a bit more tonight. Usable is what I am looking for, nice dense nuggz. I plan on a long vacation next year away from homestead and want to have enough to last while I am gone as well as the veg/bloom time when nada is being produced. I figure cycling from now till this time next year will carry me through. BTW, I only had no more than a oz for myself, how does one store their cured meds for the longterm without sacrificing potency, taste, or getting some funky mold type thing? The oz never lasted more than a couple weeks so I never worried about it.

Looks like my carbon filter is working, thought I smelled something last week so I threw that thing on the flower side exhaust. Opened up the door to the box and it wasn't smelling like fruit as described in the grow report from one of my magazines, kinda had that skunky indica smell to it. Ona block works well in the small room but I learned now to not open the door of the room until the odor is neutralized. Picked up a larger Ona Gel today. Whole house now smells fresh and clean :) Note to self, the carbon filter works but only when the door to the box is CLOSED, gotta trim em and check fluids somehow though.

Cheers....

Yeah, that is one reason why I sold my bloom box... I really hated the height restrictions. You almost have to start them out 12/12 from the very beginning to make sure they don't grow too tall. LST is a great idea for this box to keep things under control. They look really healthy! Impressive color on them. You will have to tie them down if they get too close to the light. That's what I had to do.

Yeah, that is one reason why I sold my bloom box... I really hated the height restrictions. You almost have to start them out 12/12 from the very beginning to make sure they don't grow too tall. LST is a great idea for this box to keep things under control. They look really healthy! Impressive color on them. You will have to tie them down if they get too close to the light. That's what I had to do.

Thanks for dropping by Ms.Fox, yes the height restrictions do suck, I did a crappy tie down job over the weekend, the tall one in the back has such a think stalk it doesn't want to give much, pretty much casting a shadow over the center ones, ugh.....single strain only next time...live and learn I guess. I have a mom I want to start taking cuttings from next week, hoping it will be easier with a batch of clones, much more uniform. Trying to keep the humidity down now is hard, not sure why BCNL didn't put an intake fan on the bloomside to work with the exhaust. I have a small stationary fan crammed inside pointing towards the door to get some airflow deflection going on in there. I believe you had an oscillating fan in yours? Did you mount it on the wall of the box and if so, how? I think thats what I need a small osc fan on the wall of it. I think I'd like to punch a hole through the bloom/veg wall to get the intake air from the veg side but not sure how to take care of light leaks.

random_0473.jpg

The whole garden, starting week 4 of flower, even after tying the tall ones down, they are stretching to the light and towering over the others..

Working on the other pics, for some reason all are gifs but this one and don't appear in the posts...

random_0551.jpg

Flowering Himalayan Gold

random_0561.jpg

More flowers of the same

random_0543.jpg

Papaya

random_0504.jpg

Papaya

random_0493.jpg

Himalayan Gold, tied down and still stretching...

random_0513.jpg

She cracked during a tie down attempt, thought I had her fixed but alas, she broke off completely while mucking with the other girls. Thinkin I need to pull her.

random_0533.jpg

This is the same girl, not much happening in the flower dept, experienced growers would you pull her to make room for the bigguns stretching all over the place?

random_0523.jpg

Bagseed Mom, think it might be ready to take cuttings by next week.

With the help of you experienced growers this cycle has been pretty uneventful in terms of issues, aside from the damage I did myself.

Thanks for the help everyone, you know who you are and I truly appreciate it.

Stay tuned, only 3-4 weeks left...

And a special thanks to you for the grow tips Doc, you as well as the many other fine folks on this site have been very supportive as well as informative.

Really, this box is pretty damn near newb proof if ya follow the directions and ask for help when you need it. I still haven't introduced co2 yet, do ya think it is too late to get a bottle and start gassing these girls? OMG, and yes, they are all girls, I see no hermie signs to speak of and I am checking em in morning, noon, and before they go night night, they are my babies after all :)

Vape!!!

Holy Trichomes! You've got a great grow going here! This is how you use the box, people......

:bravo:

You're gonna have buds in no time, and the plants look really healthy. Well done!

And a special thanks to you for the grow tips Doc, you as well as the many other fine folks on this site have been very supportive as well as informative.

Really, this box is pretty damn near newb proof if ya follow the directions and ask for help when you need it. I still haven't introduced co2 yet, do ya think it is too late to get a bottle and start gassing these girls? OMG, and yes, they are all girls, I see no hermie signs to speak of and I am checking em in morning, noon, and before they go night night, they are my babies after all :)

Absolutely get the Co2 going. It helps with the higher temps that can occur with this box. You'll like the results. Put them in flower ASAP if you have not already done so.

Looking good from a fellow newb! I was very close to buying a bloombox or supercloset, but realized I had more time than money, so I built my own. A while ago you asked about taking better pics. Does your camera have a mode that allows you to set the white balance? Check you directions as most do (even small P&S). Once you know how to do this, get a plain white piece of paper and put it under the HPS and set the white balance to the paper. For example, on my sony p&s I go to the white balance setting, point the lens at the paper and push the set button. That way the camera will think the orange-yellow of the hps is actually white and adjust the color. YOu can check my pics and see the ones I took with the white balance set and the ones from my cell phone.

Keep up the good work.

:bravo: Very nice job dude! I just bought a Bloom Box myself and I found in my previous grows with the Cool Cab the more I babied them the more problems I had. You did the right thing by trimming the lower 1/3 before turning on the T-5 lights. The fan leaves can very large and block light so you have to stay on top of those. If you hadn't bought a Co2 tank yet, do it. You're supposed to start it in the second week of flowering and as long as they have a good root structure. As far as height issues you def have to stay with the 3 week vegging schedule then transplant. You might want to try 5 plants next time rather than 9. Easier to maintain the plants and not as suffocating. Check out my grow in the my sig.

Back
Top Bottom