Newbie Grow with a BloomBox

That's a pretty neat grow box there... Can we see more pics of it? How big is the res, and the pump?

I'll post some more pics tomorrow, the veg/clone chamber has a 3gal res and the flower chamber has 6.5 gal res, both with 132g/hr pumps. I am looking forward to moving the lil ones to the flower chamber in another couple weeks or so, but keep it under MH and 18/6 light. Maybe do that until they are 12" tall then move to the 12/12 and HPS.

20 days from germination

Pics_from_the_internet_007.jpg

11 of 12 babies doing fairly well, got some runts

Pics_from_the_internet_006.jpg

Got roots!!

Pics_from_the_internet_004.jpg

Mutant?? I like the dark green though

Pics_from_the_internet_002.jpg

Things are looking up, at first I was doubting if a couple would survive, thanks Rootofwise, dropping the ph and babying them did the trick.....

hey vapo, new growth is looking awesome. Thats very good advice by rootofwise about the ph adjustment, always try to keep it between 5-6. I like to go from the small cubes to the hydroton insted the 3" cubes because they dont block all the light and algae tends to build on the top.

hey vapo, new growth is looking awesome. Thats very good advice by rootofwise about the ph adjustment, always try to keep it between 5-6. I like to go from the small cubes to the hydroton insted the 3" cubes because they dont block all the light and algae tends to build on the top.

Ah, ok, I just looked up hyrdroton, I'll look into that as well for future grows. Sorta feeling things out now, gonna try my hand at a few things and see what works for me. I do have cube caps for the baskets, but, had a hardtime getting the drip emitters to point right at the hole and some of the baskets were sitting kinda cockeyed because of overlap with the caps on. If I can manage to get the growth thru them without tearing up the plants I will throw them on when I move to the flower chamber next week. I might can pull it off next time if I don't fill the 12 site hydro and just roll with less seedlings. I look forward to your rhino grow, I think that and hashberry will be my next order.

Ok, here is day 3 of flowering. Went on vacation for a few days came back and ph was sitting around 6.6 with temps hovering at 78 in the room but 83 in the box. Damn it's hard to keep the room cool. got rid of a couple weaklings, kept what I hope will be a good mom and the best 9.

random_054.jpg

Decent size fan leaves, I had the lower T5's on and the leaves came into contact, so switched off those lights till they get a lil taller. This is under 400W HPS

random_053.jpg

Mom

random_051.jpg

random_048.jpg

random_047.jpg

9 survivors from veg

random_052.jpg

Close up

Any advice on getting better pics, the HPS really makes it hard to see details. Will update with root pics later. Battling heat with this box, got the AC running at 72 for the house, every other room is 72 or lower but the room with the box ranges from 78 - 81. I've been using frozen milk jugs with ph balanced water inside (just incase they leak), leave them in the resevoir and they are keep the water nice and cool for ~4-6 hrs but am looking into a chiller or portable AC for the room. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Once, I have the heat thing fixed, I think they will take off. Not doing too bad but this thing is definitely not just plug and play.

Oh, it is starting to look like I have 3 strains or maybe they are mutants, 3 very different leaf structures and sizes. Note to self, mark the damn plants with a name....DOH! Rookie mistake. They are supposed to be Papaya and Himalayan Gold.

Looking really good for a first grow. Amazing how they all of a sudden just take off.

I just wait till the lights go off to take pictures. I have a flourescent light in the room just turn that on. The 5 minutes of extra light isn't going to hurt them.

One problem with hydro is heat. I am thinking if I want to continue through the summer of switching to coco. I just don't want all the added expense of getting a water chiller. Battling heat is an expensive part of indoor growing.

:peace:

Too true there root, keeping the temps down for hydro and hydro in a box is tough. I think my ghetto cooling method is working well, I am using 1gallon bottles now and it keeps the water nice and cool for most of the day. Still looking like I will need something different for the summer. Will start with changing the lights on cycle to night when I am home and the AC is running cool anyway and dial the ac to 76 during the day. Living in a desert bites! Still trying to come up with a way to vent the lamp heat outside of the room without jacking up my interior and exterior walls. If you have a stealthy idea I am open to suggestions. Seriously, thanks for your advice and help. BTW, how do you get the link to your grows in your signature?

Week 1 and 1 day into flowering. Just changed out my res (joy, the smaller res was way easier) Loaded the 6 gallon tank with 30cc each of SensiBloom A/B and 75cc BigBud. PH has been ranging from 6 - 6.5 every 48 hrs or sofor most of the week, using ph down every other day to bring it between 5.5 - 6.0. TDS sitting around 650, temps have been ok, 79-80. I think the ghetto frozen bottles have been keeping th res temps nice and the box temp has been no more than 3 degrees warmer than ambient. Here are the latest pics.

random_0471.jpg

Here is the whole garden, runts in the middle and bigguns on the outside. Note the slather of black silicon, saw light seeping through before I moved the babies to the flower side so went overboard with silicon.

random_0541.jpg

Big ol leaf

random_0531.jpg

Garden with 20oz bottle for reference

random_0521.jpg

She? is growing fast now...still trying to see if my fem seeds are producing fem plants. Will get closeups when I get a different light to take pics by, the HPS skews the image.

All in all, no major issues as of yet, fingers crossed!

These things are really starting to take off, multiple branching. When would one start to trim or prune them if at all? I still have 5-7 weeks left and at this rate they will be bumping the glass in 3 weeks. I read in HT that the ideal canopy would be 2/3 the internal vertical space of the box. What say you experienced growers?

Sorry vapo-eyes I am not overly familar with the timing of the BloomBox. You should just be coming up to the end of stretch. They should stop growing by the end of week 2 and start producing buds at that point they will not grow to much more. I think the ideal height would be as close to the bulb as possible without bleaching or burning. I would trim the under brush off. Kind of trim 1/3 up the the plant. That is just to the little stuff off. But since you are in such a small space I don't know if I would even bother. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you a hand.

Sorry vapo-eyes I am not overly familar with the timing of the BloomBox. You should just be coming up to the end of stretch. They should stop growing by the end of week 2 and start producing buds at that point they will not grow to much more. I think the ideal height would be as close to the bulb as possible without bleaching or burning. I would trim the under brush off. Kind of trim 1/3 up the the plant. That is just to the little stuff off. But since you are in such a small space I don't know if I would even bother. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you a hand.

Thanks again root, been looking at them closely to see if they are showing any signs of being male or hermie. I used fem seeds but I hear they can produce hermies for just about any reason. I've yet to see anything that looks like female or male preflowers, just one or two green lil stems coming off the branches. Will try and get a closeup pic, my camera has a hard time focusing that close though.

Thanks again root, been looking at them closely to see if they are showing any signs of being male or hermie. I used fem seeds but I hear they can produce hermies for just about any reason. I've yet to see anything that looks like female or male preflowers, just one or two green lil stems coming off the branches. Will try and get a closeup pic, my camera has a hard time focusing that close though.

Why not get some string and some clips and bend them over a bit?

Well, had a nice surprise when I came home for lunch. My flippin 1 wk and 3 day old HPS lamp was burnt out. Nice, I have a back up but damn, I even screwed the dang thing in with towel to be sure not to have any hand oils on it. Not sure if BCNL covers 1wk old lamps in their 3yr warranty. Won't to ask I guess.

Week 2 of flower coming to an end, lots of growth this week.

random_0472.jpg

Looking like a lil garden.

random_0502.jpg

Lots of multiple lower branches, not sure what to do with these, trim em, tie em down??

random_0511.jpg

The center shorter ones are starting to fill in, the ones to the left and right are towering over them though. Hope they don't have a complex.

random_0491.jpg

Will start tying the big ones down tomorrow. This one is growing super fast!

random_0481.jpg

Is this the start of a bud? Looks like it not sure if that thing between the stalk and branch is a flower starting or a pollen sac. These are all from fem seeds.

Unsure how bushy these girls are supposed to get, does one trim the lower branches? I plan on tying the tall ones down and want to kick on my lower T5's as more budding? sites pop up. All advice is appreciated, been getting great advice so far.....

Wow! You're lookin' good bro!

I suggest trimming off the lower branches, maybe to two smallest ones on each plant, and bending the tall ones over so that the canopy height is uniform. Turn on those T5's, but make sure they're not touching leaves or branches. You don't want to injure plants and stress them out.

Also, I bought femmed seeds and had 3 out of ten males.....not hermies, but full on male plants. So pay attention!

If you see balls, pull them immediately, unless you want seeds.

Back
Top Bottom