Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

The damage on those lower leaves doesn't necessarily mean a magnesium deficiency, although they do look very similar. This looks to me more like a complaint that they want to be uppotted.

:oops:

Oh!
I did not know that!

@Emilya , if you say uppot I will go uppot right now, 'cause I know you know this stuff way better than I do!
Only, should I mention that she is not yet finishing her water every other day?
(Doesn't matter? I should I just go make pots?)

Oh, and my new tall pots are not here yet. All I have is these shallow ones.
Should I uppot her to the smaller plastic pot, and then hope to move to a 3G fabric pot later?
(She is looking a little wilty...)

1kp.jpg

1kp2.jpg

Or should I uppot her to the larger plastic pot (and that is maybe where she will finish out)?
I am not sure what to think or expect, and would appreciate your suggestion.
Do I uppot to the smaller pot, and hope to transplant to a 3G later?
Or do I uppot to the bigger pot (and that is maybe where she will finish out)?
THANK YOU!

1kbp.jpg

1kbp2.jpg

I vote 3 gal fabric pot... they're gonna take off!

Thanks, @cbdhemp808 , do you mean straight to a 3G cloth pot?
That looks pretty good, actually!
It is about the same diameter as the larger plastic pot, just a little taller.
(Kongetta seems to look a little smaller in the pictures than she looks in person. The 3G seems about the same diameter as the large pot.)

cl1.jpg

cl2.jpg

I am going to listen carefully to what @Emilya says, because I am trying to follow her lead.

Yes, check with Emilya. But yes, the 3 gal looks very good to me, and I take it that will be your final pot size.

Ok, here is a composite photo of the pots, if it is helpful at all.
I am agreeing the 3G looks good to my inexperienced, novice eyes (but I have been wrong a lot).
The girls were planted on 5/31, and one received a haircut yesterday, and the other got snipped a few days ago.

composite.jpg

composite 2.jpg

You have created art. :)

Hahahaha! Thank you for pointing that out!
Maybe I should apply for a grant? Haha

Yes, from solo to 3g is an acceptable jump. Although a complaint is not always a mandate, I do think it is time to uppot

@Emilya, thank you so much!
May I please ask you?
What telltale signs of complaint do you see (so I can calibrate my eyeballs, for the future)?
Is it that the canopy is starting to get much wider than the pot?
Or is it the discoloration on the lower leaves?
Or what tipped you off?
Because I was focused only on the fact that she still needs more than 2 days to drain her goblet (so your saying that I should uppot took me completely by surprise!)
What signs should I be looking for, for up-potting?

@Emilya, thank you so much!
May I please ask you?
What telltale signs of complaint do you see (so I can calibrate my eyeballs, for the future)?
Is it that the canopy is starting to get much wider than the pot?
Or is it the discoloration on the lower leaves?
Or what tipped you off?
Because I was focused only on the fact that she still needs more than 2 days to drain her goblet (so your saying that I should uppot took me completely by surprise!)
What signs should I be looking for, for up-potting?
The two first leaves and your cotyledons should be carefully watched in early veg, for they are the first leaves that will take a hit when something goes sideways. It is very common to see these first lower fan leaves to go yellow on you right as the roots reach the point of diminishing returns in that container. The plant sees that the incoming feed is diminishing, so it starts carnivalizing those first storehouses in response to keep the new growth rapidly moving ahead.

Based on this reaction I can tell you that you have already missed the first time the plant was able to drain the cup in 48 hours or less. You went beyond that point and from then on the roots were starting to feel constricted, so water use slowed down again. If you see a plant that had been rapidly sucking down the water and doing it faster with each cycle, suddenly slow down... you probably took your eyes off of the ball for a couple of days and missed it.

:oops:

carnivalizing
I think you mean cannibalizing :) carnivalizing would be more fun though. I haven't carnivalized in a very long time. But seriously, I didn't even know that was a word... so I looked it up... it is a word!

carnivalize (verb) - To subvert (mainstream assumptions or literary styles) through humour and chaos.

Example usage: "Sorry, I did not mean to carnivalize your excellent reply."

I think you mean cannibalizing :) carnivalizing would be more fun though. I haven't carnivalized in a very long time. But seriously, I didn't even know that was a word... so I looked it up... it is a word!

carnivalize (verb) - To subvert (mainstream assumptions or literary styles) through humour and chaos.

Example usage: "Sorry, I did not mean to carnivalize your excellent reply."
Hahahahahaha! That's a GREAT word!! Hahaha! That happens around here several times every day! Hahahaha!
Thank you for this, CBD! This is going to be great fun around here!!!! (And I am sure I am the most guilty one!)
LOL!!!

The two first leaves and your cotyledons should be carefully watched in early veg, for they are the first leaves that will take a hit when something goes sideways. It is very common to see these first lower fan leaves to go yellow on you right as the roots reach the point of diminishing returns in that container. The plant sees that the incoming feed is diminishing, so it starts carnivalizing those first storehouses in response to keep the new growth rapidly moving ahead.

Based on this reaction I can tell you that you have already missed the first time the plant was able to drain the cup in 48 hours or less. You went beyond that point and from then on the roots were starting to feel constricted, so water use slowed down again. If you see a plant that had been rapidly sucking down the water and doing it faster with each cycle, suddenly slow down... you probably took your eyes off of the ball for a couple of days and missed it.

Ok, so she was running a good race, and then she suffered a relative decrease in the bioavailability of Gatorade, trailmix, and beneficial bacteria poop, and so her stamina took a hit?
So, go back to feeding her good?

Ok, well, "Confess your sins, one to another...."
I meant to take better notes, but I didn't.
I tried downloading those phone apps before, but something did not work, and I forgot.
What kinds of notes should I be writing down, again?
I tried making notes on the masking tape on the little plantas themselves, but basically I got super busy this last week, and it was a race around here for several days, so, my apologies! I basically forgot.
Now a clipboard is on the shopping list, just in case I cannot figure the apps out.
What are the best apps for monitoring the little plantas, again?
We are almost done with another sprint, and I should have some time to look into apps soon, or whatever kind of notes I should be taking.

Ok, so I want to feed my girls as healthy and natural as possible!
I got @Emilya 's reply after dark, so this is my earliest opportunity to make buckets.
I put Subcool in the lower 1/3rd of new 3g buckets.
I set the placeholder cup directly on top of that, and backfilled with the boutique soil, and bounced it gently a few times, to settle it.
Here is an empty cup on top of supersoil, with one cup of backfill.
The boutique backfill has maybe 15-20% worm castings mixed in.
I do not have DynoMyco yet, so I could not mix that in (but will use liquid mycos with the fertilizer).
One package of GeoFlora Bloom came in, but unless @Emilya says othewise, I would prefer to just limit the changes to adding Subcool's.
These cups do not have any supersoil in the base. (The newer ones, yes, but not these.)
I thought changing to Subcool's is enough change for one grow, so I can "collect data points", and get an idea how the plantas do with "straight supersoil".
Then we can add GeoFlora into the mix later, if Emmie thinks it is a good idea.

3 on sub.jpg

And here is a completed backfill with place-holder cup.

3full.jpg

I started damp-wetting the tops with a turkey baster, but it takes a while, so I came down to post this.
Now I will go back upstairs, and damp-wet the pots some more, so the soil will hold it's shape.
It seems like a lot of drip runs down the side of the cups, which seems good, because it seems that is the purpose of the wetting-dampening, is to get the soil to hold its shape as the cup is removed, and the bigger girls gets her bigger girl jeans!
I added CalMag to a gallon of water, and a splash of liquid mycos, and am using that for the wetting.
I plan to use the rest of the gallon when I put the girlies in their new bigger rooms, hopefully in the next few hours, but right now I need to juggle some things.

Oh, and I also wanted to mention, I am open to doing one thing with Kongetta1, and doing something different for Kongetta #2, if it seems good.
Or we can do both plantas the same.
Kongetta #1 seems to be 2-3 days ahead of Kongetta 2, based on size and the date of the topping. (Sorry, I need to keep better notes!)
At least, that is my present thinking.

Comments, questions, suggestions?
What could I do better?
And if there are any simple, easy-to-learn apps with flat learning curves, those would be great, also!
Thank you!

Ok, the pots are damp-wetted. I hope I did everything right. I will be looking forward to any and all comments and suggestions for improvement.

This is 3g #1.
One question I have is, do I want to damp-wet the whole top evenly? Or more toward the cup end of things?
Sorry, I need to re-read @Emilya 's uppoting sections on her threads, but right now I am out of time!
I hope to check to see if the cup lifts out when I get back in a couple of hours.
Thank you!

3g1.jpg

This is 3g #2.
I wetted them both a bit more after I took these pictures, but this is the idea of what I am trying to do.
Do I want to wet things evenly? Or is this ok?

3g2.jpg

Ok, so she was running a good race, and then she suffered a relative decrease in the bioavailability of Gatorade, trailmix, and beneficial bacteria poop, and so her stamina took a hit?
So, go back to feeding her good?

Ok, well, "Confess your sins, one to another...."
I meant to take better notes, but I didn't.
I tried downloading those phone apps before, but something did not work, and I forgot.
What kinds of notes should I be writing down, again?
I tried making notes on the masking tape on the little plantas themselves, but basically I got super busy this last week, and it was a race around here for several days, so, my apologies! I basically forgot.
Now a clipboard is on the shopping list, just in case I cannot figure the apps out.
What are the best apps for monitoring the little plantas, again?
We are almost done with another sprint, and I should have some time to look into apps soon, or whatever kind of notes I should be taking.

Ok, so I want to feed my girls as healthy and natural as possible!
I got @Emilya 's reply after dark, so this is my earliest opportunity to make buckets.
I put Subcool in the lower 1/3rd of new 3g buckets.
I set the placeholder cup directly on top of that, and backfilled with the boutique soil, and bounced it gently a few times, to settle it.
Here is an empty cup on top of supersoil, with one cup of backfill.
The boutique backfill has maybe 15-20% worm castings mixed in.
I do not have DynoMyco yet, so I could not mix that in (but will use liquid mycos with the fertilizer).
One package of GeoFlora Bloom came in, but unless @Emilya says othewise, I would prefer to just limit the changes to adding Subcool's.
These cups do not have any supersoil in the base. (The newer ones, yes, but not these.)
I thought changing to Subcool's is enough change for one grow, so I can "collect data points", and get an idea how the plantas do with "straight supersoil".
Then we can add GeoFlora into the mix later, if Emmie thinks it is a good idea.

3 on sub.jpg

And here is a completed backfill with place-holder cup.

3full.jpg

I started damp-wetting the tops with a turkey baster, but it takes a while, so I came down to post this.
Now I will go back upstairs, and damp-wet the pots some more, so the soil will hold it's shape.
It seems like a lot of drip runs down the side of the cups, which seems good, because it seems that is the purpose of the wetting-dampening, is to get the soil to hold its shape as the cup is removed, and the bigger girls gets her bigger girl jeans!
I added CalMag to a gallon of water, and a splash of liquid mycos, and am using that for the wetting.
I plan to use the rest of the gallon when I put the girlies in their new bigger rooms, hopefully in the next few hours, but right now I need to juggle some things.

Oh, and I also wanted to mention, I am open to doing one thing with Kongetta1, and doing something different for Kongetta #2, if it seems good.
Or we can do both plantas the same.
Kongetta #1 seems to be 2-3 days ahead of Kongetta 2, based on size and the date of the topping. (Sorry, I need to keep better notes!)
At least, that is my present thinking.

Comments, questions, suggestions?
What could I do better?
And if there are any simple, easy-to-learn apps with flat learning curves, those would be great, also!
Thank you!
looks like you are doing great and I have no criticisms. As far as apps go, I have a thing called Days Counter, and I find it invaluable to be able to put a time stamp on various things in the garden, and know at a glance how many days it has been. I think you are making the right decision regarding using just the Subcool soil for now and also adding in the mycos as you can. Be sure to prepare a good tea or recharge to get the microbes going strong in that soil right from the start, and keep adding in fresh microbes at least once a week.

Looks like you are on top of things and I am learning some things :thumb:

I would lightly rub some mycos into the root ball(s) to help give the root systems a jump start on transplant.

When laziness sets in I wait until the base leaves are consumed by my girls in their one gallon pots before up-potting.

Regardless your girls are going to explode in size after the up pot.

Wonder if you'll see a huge jump in size immediately or after the root system develops over the next week?

looks like you are doing great and I have no criticisms. As far as apps go, I have a thing called Days Counter, and I find it invaluable to be able to put a time stamp on various things in the garden, and know at a glance how many days it has been. I think you are making the right decision regarding using just the Subcool soil for now and also adding in the mycos as you can. Be sure to prepare a good tea or recharge to get the microbes going strong in that soil right from the start, and keep adding in fresh microbes at least once a week.

Thank you!
I just figure if I can try to follow along as best as I can, and try to understand what I am doing, then eventually I will end up growing some good plants! (Even if they are not as good as yours, they will still be good!)
I am downloading Days Counter.
Thank you for the direction on Subcool-only this time.

@Emilya , what kind of tea?
I know how to make a worm casting and molasses tea, but I think it takes at least a day to make? (Or how long does it take?) Last time I did worm tea, it frothed the next day.
Someone said to put the worm tea all over the plant, so it can develop greater resistance. Does that sound right to you?
And if the timing adds up, do I add fertilizer to the worm tea?
(I will start the worm tea now.)
I also have some Grower's Recharge. Is that what you mean by "recharge"? (It would be quicker.)
I will add fresh myco once a week.

Back
Top Bottom