Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

Uff!!! Hi DYNOMYCO!
We were rearranging things here, and it looks like my @DYNOMYCO and my Real Grower's Recharge got put in the other fridge for a couple of months.
It says not to refrigerate the @DYNOMYCO. Is it damaged? (Or degraded?) Or is it probably still OK?
Thanks!
Heyyy

It should be fine, maybe degraded slightly but should still work :)

Heyyy

It should be fine, maybe degraded slightly but should still work :)
@DYNOMYCO , that is great news! So, I will go a ilttle heavy on the helpings with this bag.

Best,

@Azimuth , thanks for giving me the heads up on SIPs.
I am gathering tools and materials now.
It will probably take me a few weeks to get everything together (third world), and I have more than a month before I have any slots open, anyways.

I can't find food grade plastic buckets here. I would have to import them at insane numbers (@$3500.00), so food grade plastic is outside the budget.
I am thinking of maybe 15g dark garbage cans, scrubbed out thoroughly and then left in the sun to sweat, and then scrubbed again (just to make double sure).
Then I will need to make a stand.
Did you say somewhere that you made a stand from the lid? What did you use to support it?

I am thinking of maybe 15g dark garbage cans, scrubbed out thoroughly and then left in the sun to sweat, and then scrubbed again (just to make double sure).
Then I will need to make a stand.
Did you say somewhere that you made a stand from the lid? What did you use to support it?

I made a "false floor" above the reservoir/air chamber because I don't have the extra 3" in height, or whatever the rim is, to add a second bucket so had to have the entire build in the one container.

To do so, I measured as best I could what the diameter would be at the level I wanted to keep the soil above which was about 25% of the bucket's height so measured at that level. The bucket has a very slight taper to it so I couldn't just measure the flat bottom. Then I cut out that size from a bucket lid and then made my holes in that lid turned floor. That piece serves the same function as the inner bucket for the nested bucket setup.

I wanted to support the floor from below since I assume the weight of the soil mix will want to push the floor down and into the water, so I used food grade storage containers that were the height I needed to rest the floor on. I originally planned to use inverted little yogurt containers but they were slightly too wide so I had to improvise.

But anything that is slightly taller than the height of the overflow hole will work. For my outdoor vegetable garden I made a larger SIP from a rectangular storage tote from Home Depot. I want to keep that lid intact so instead I used a length of perforated drainage pipe to line the bottom of the container. 3 pieces side-by-side covered it nicely. Then I drilled the drainage hole about an inch or so below the top level of the pipe. Then I covered the pipe with clay pebbles to provide a base for the soil and to keep it above the water level.

In this system the void of the pipe provides the space for both water and air.

But anything that is slightly taller than the height of the overflow hole will work.

In this system the void of the pipe provides the space for both water and air.

Ok, very good!
Thank you!! :thumb:

But (and sorry for the total newbie question, and sorry if you covered this before and I did not catch it on the first bounce, but) why is that superior? What benefits does that provide? Or what problems does that solve?

Seems to me that for a 5 gal. bucket you could cut down a plastic grow pot to the height you want for your inside reservoir. Cut some slits in the sides & drill a 1" PVC hole in the bottom to fit the PVC in & it's done. Fill with soil, add water & off you go. Pretty much the way they're built anyway from the manufacturer.
71MB4DxeGDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
71UiqF3Z88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The float could be made with a stick & cork or Styrofoam.

Seems to me that for a 5 gal. bucket you could cut down a plastic grow pot to the height you want for your inside reservoir. Cut some slits in the sides & drill a 1" PVC hole in the bottom to fit the PVC in & it's done. Fill with soil, add water & off you go. Pretty much the way they're built anyway from the manufacturer.
71MB4DxeGDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
71UiqF3Z88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The float could be made with a stick & cork or Styrofoam.

Great idea! Thank you! Just provide good ventilation?

The slits would provide ventilation & provide the water to the soil.
Ahhh.... ¡sí!
Great idea! :thumb:
Yeah, slits or holes, as long as it has good ventilation, and remains strong enough to hold the weight?

But (and sorry for the total newbie question, and sorry if you covered this before and I did not catch it on the first bounce, but) why is that superior? What benefits does that provide? Or what problems does that solve?
It holds most of the soil up and away from the water and provides for an air gap and space for the water.

Seems to me that for a 5 gal. bucket you could cut down a plastic grow pot to the height you want for your inside reservoir.
That's a great idea too. Could use an inverted Tupperware container if you could find the right size.

Nice root ball, btw! :thumb:

It holds most of the soil up and away from the water and provides for an air gap and space for the water.

That's a great idea too. Could use an inverted Tupperware container if you could find the right size.

Those 2 pics are from the manufacturers website. Not my grow. Haven't harvested my first SIP plant yet. I will be this week though.

Those 2 pics are from the manufacturers website. Not my grow. Haven't harvested my first SIP plant yet. I will be this week though.
Ah, ok. I knew you were close so just assumed it was yours. Will be interesting to see how yours look.

Good idea, thanks!

And second on the rootball!

Whoops! I have some kind of brown spots on the Purple Kush!
What is it?
And what do I do?
The only change I made to the routine is that I topdressed with GLN Sweet Candy, but I put it on everything in flower, and this is the only one to show bad.
(Is this a "harvest and destroy the plant" situation?)

rot.jpg

That looks like a severe toxicity of some sorts. Something similar happened to my best of three autos when I top dressed them with composted horse manure. Two of the plants were fine, but one was burned pretty bad.
Still got five grams of decent bud from the plant that got fried.

I'd flush and pray.
Thanks, @Farmer Reading .
Sorry for the delay. It gets pretty busy around here.
Yes, I did pray.
I also grabbed for the snippers and then almost harvested her. And as I had steel-to-the-stalk I thought---wait. This was a sudden development the day after I applied the Delicious Candy, and it was a (very) windy August day, so maybe I got some powder on the leaves? Maybe it is a chemical burn??
I am not sure--but I felt that hesitation, so I listened, and did not snip.

We will see if that was right or wrong.
I thought I would monitor her for a while, and if she continues to go the wrong way, then I will harvest her four little budlets, have a nice vape, and plant a different strain.

And I just got my visa, so I can stay here in Colombia at least for now ("whew!!").
I was thinking about having to "grow guerrilla" in a neighboring country, and I was thinking of you and @bluter . It gave me a new respect for "growing guerrilla."

Well, the Purple Kush did not look too good, so I went ahead and harvested it, so I can plant something else.
I guess I am still a little confused:
If I do the next plant SIP, do I start in a Solo cup and uppot?
Or do I plant direct in the final container (since there is no wet-dry in the SIP model)?
I think someone said already, but I am completely out of time at the moment. Thanks!

I've done it both ways, but I think the easist is to just plant it into its final container. That way it will develop water roots as part of rooting and not have to convert some later on which causes a 10-15 day delay. And, especially with autos you'll want a streamlined and least stress method as possible.

This flies in the face of conventional wisdom but with SIPs you're not specifically trying to generate roots with a wet/dry cycle to use in flower. The water roots take care of water uptake directly.

I'm willing to bet you'll be quite surprised and more than pleased with how the plants grow in this set-up. And especially autos since there is no room for any set-backs or delays.

I've done it both ways, but I think the easist is to just plant it into its final container. That way it will develop water roots as part of rooting and not have to convert some later on which causes a 10-15 day delay. And, especially with autos you'll want a streamlined and least stress method as possible.

This flies in the face of conventional wisdom but with SIPs you're not specifically trying to generate roots with a wet/dry cycle to use in flower. The water roots take care of water uptake directly.

I'm willing to bet you'll be quite surprised and more than pleased with how the plants grow in this set-up. And especially autos since there is no room for any set-backs or delays.
I am really looking forward to it!!
I was amazed to see those SIP plants on Bud's thread!
What seems amazing is that there is no wet-dry cycle, and yet that was a huge root mass! (If I am not confusing threads again...)

Only, if I uppot I can soak a seed overnight tonight, and plant in the morning.
But if I plant straight into my final container I need to wait another week or two for all the parts and pieces to get here.

If it were me, I'd wait. The water roots are different from the soil roots and they typically take mine 10-15 days to produce if I'm converting a soil plant over. The roots for the seedling I started directly in a SIP reached the reservoir and started with the water roots in a matter of just a few days.

So, ironically it'll probably be faster for you to wait until you build the SIP.

Back
Top Bottom