Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

Ok, we found someone who will build me a portable greenhouse, but first we have to wait until the landlady paints the roof (meaning I have to wait two weeks).
Oy....

Ahh, ok. Thank you!!
Only, sorry to be s.o s.l.o.w....
I reviewed the first few pages of your current thread.
It looks like 1" of Perlite on the bottom, 1" of Perlite in the middle, and then the Perlite ring on the outside, at the top?
So 2-1/2 each 1" layers of Perlite in a Solo cup??
Not so thick in a solo.
I" thick is for pots.
So, that is not like half the cup worth of Perlite??
Or more like 1/3??
So, if you re-use that soil, it doesn't have like 1/3 to 1/2 Perlite in that soil??
Before I reuse it I mix it 50/50!with fresh coco. And fresh perlite.
Soil I just re use.
Everything gets fresh perlite mixed in.
The soil or coco will get more perlite the more you use it.
Not a problem.
I had a harvest every month.
so I was constantly up-potting and adding new plants .
My coco was loaded with perlite, worked great.
What am I missing?
What did I miss?

Talk soon. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Not so thick in a solo.
I" thick is for pots.
Ahh, ok!
That 'splains it!
Thank you! :thanks:
Before I reuse it I mix it 50/50!with fresh coco. And fresh perlite.
Soil I just re use.
Everything gets fresh perlite mixed in.
The soil or coco will get more perlite the more you use it.
Not a problem.
I had a harvest every month.
so I was constantly up-potting and adding new plants .
My coco was loaded with perlite, worked great.
Ahh, ok, you re-mix it, to get the aeration where you want it.
Sounds great!

I am recently realizing that another part of my problem is probably a big lack of aeration, so I want to boost aeration a lot (so maybe my small little plantas can begin to look more like your and Buds' and Otter's and everyone else's trees....)

Mis compañeros here want me to cut everything for the move and start over, so there will be no potential for problems with the policia, so I get a small taste of better things to come.

I will have to wait a couple of weeks for them to paint the roof, and build the new greenhouse (oy).
But thankfully, I have some nice clean (all THC) RSO to help me get through!
And hopefully I will have lots more aeration in everything moving forward.
What did I miss?
Creo que nada.
Talk soon. :passitleft:
Ohh.... good hit! Thanks!
What's in this one?? Kief mix??
Haha.
Stay safe

Moving day! Hope to see you all again on the far side!
Happy toking! :hookah:

Hi @Azimuth . Moving day.
Do I need to save old dropper bottles for anything?
Thanks!! :thanks:

Hi Azi.
Moving day.
Data points, if these are of interest, or help. (And if not, please just delete.)

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

Hi Azi.
Moving day.
Data points, if these are of interest, or help. (And if not, please just delete.)

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg
Nice roots! (I hope that's not too forward :laughtwo:) Given a complete growing cycle they would have filled in nicely.

I'm changing my design on those pots a bit by eliminating the net pot in the center. I ran both designs side-by-side and got better root growth on the newer version. The root balls are still drying so I'll know better in a few days.

Yes, of course. They're for storing Bluter's Vegetable Glycerin infusions. :laughtwo:
:thumb:
I will have to check those out when it is time!
And, good luck with the move!
Thanks! The move is going well! No sleep last night except for where I nodded out. lol.
I hope to get time to start a new thread in a few days, but for the moment it is all focus.

We got a recommended builder who says he can build us a strong portable greenhouse out of bamboo. We said, "Great!"
But first the landlady wants to paint the roof (so we are trying to jolly her along to puh-LEASE git 'er done, so I can start growing greenbud, lol!).

It definitely gets cold at night, so I will need removable doors by day, and a good seal by night.

It is definitely another read-at-night-by-the-nightlights (read: auto) situation, but I am starting to look at the bright side!
This is a real blessing, because the faster turnover time allowed me to realize I need to massively boost my aeration in three short growing cycles, as opposed to three outdoor growing seasons.

If this aeration boosts things like I think it will, then I think maybe I can plant 20 photo (1:1 CBD) regulars outdoors for an all summer grow (max harvest).
Then after I weed out the males I can plant ten regular (1:1 CBD) autos, to plug in the gaps.
And then I can still run autos during the winter (coming right up).

So there will be a short delay, but long term the trajectory looks blessed, haleluyah!

Thanks, everyone, for the good thoughts and prayers. I hope to start the new thread in a few days (but for right now, it is moving time!).

Nice roots! (I hope that's not too forward :laughtwo:) Given a complete growing cycle they would have filled in nicely.

I'm changing my design on those pots a bit by eliminating the net pot in the center. I ran both designs side-by-side and got better root growth on the newer version. The root balls are still drying so I'll know better in a few days.
!
If photos are out of the question, can you do drawings?
CAD-CAM?
Google Sketch-Up?
haha

I will have to check those out when it is time!

Thanks! The move is going well! No sleep last night except for where I nodded out. lol.
I hope to get time to start a new thread in a few days, but for the moment it is all focus.

We got a recommended builder who says he can build us a strong portable greenhouse out of bamboo. We said, "Great!"
But first the landlady wants to paint the roof (so we are trying to jolly her along to puh-LEASE git 'er done, so I can start growing greenbud, lol!).

It definitely gets cold at night, so I will need removable doors by day, and a good seal by night.

It is definitely another read-at-night-by-the-nightlights (read: auto) situation, but I am starting to look at the bright side!
This is a real blessing, because the faster turnover time allowed me to realize I need to massively boost my aeration in three short growing cycles, as opposed to three outdoor growing seasons.

If this aeration boosts things like I think it will, then I think maybe I can plant 20 photo (1:1 CBD) regulars outdoors for an all summer grow (max harvest).
Then after I weed out the males I can plant ten regular (1:1 CBD) autos, to plug in the gaps.
And then I can still run autos during the winter (coming right up).

So there will be a short delay, but long term the trajectory looks blessed, haleluyah!

Thanks, everyone, for the good thoughts and prayers. I hope to start the new thread in a few days (but for right now, it is moving time!).
I have roll up poly vents at each end.
You get air during the day and retains heat at night.
I'll try and point them out.

Stay safe

Oh, hey, @Bill284 , did you say that your mix is regular soil with basically whatever plush amendments you can find?
And did you also say you are a coco guy?
(Gears turning...)

Six-month-story-short:
I tried to get more of the good boutique soil from Bogotá, but the second batch is a completely different mix, and the quality is not good!
We tried to square it with them, but sadly, they wouldn't.
So... if you are not picky about soil, now we have a lot of basically mediocre soil that could probably be fixed mixed with lots of coco coir and rice hulls, to open it way up. And then we can layer with Perlite (because you are all about the liquid nutes, right?)

Sooo.... (more gears turning....)
How about if I rent a cement mixer, and we hire someone to remix the soil with mass coco coir, and mass rice hulls, just to make it fluffy (so it can breathe well)?
And then we layer that with Perlite as best as I can figure out, and then I will feed with the local liquid I can get (BioNova Veganics)?
And then I also want to run other test pots with Azi's homemade nutes, etc.
So, would that work??

(More gears turning...)
If I can dial your Perlite Parfaits and Azi's nutes in, then I just need to figure out the ideal cloth pot shape (tall vs. squat).
Do you have feelings about cloth pot shape? (Tall vs. squat?)
Height is not really a limit. I am running auto fems at first, and the greenhouse will be 2.8 meters (maybe 8'??).
I think 20 auto fems in SIPs and ten cocoa puff plants should fit, with some other plants. (And if that isn't enough we can build more.)
I figure if Bud's photos fit a 4x4 then my autos should be maybe 3x3?

(Future gears turning...)
At least here on this roof I will be growing auto fems at first, and then when the pantry finally runneth over, I want to transition to 1:1 CBD regulars.
Regulars sound like almost double work, but it has a certain appeal to medical patients.

I think with auto males they would maybe show their genders in about a month?
Many of the sponsors sell some auto haze mixes that flower longer, so I guess they get bigger. Not sure on the specifics, more than that. Anyway, I like that idea, of letting them get larger.

So, should I start them in Solos, and then transfer them to 1g plastic pots or something until they show their gender?
And then uppot or not, as appropriate?
Or how would you do it?
Thanks, amigo! It is great to have your expert help and advice! I hope to have a forest like yours one day soon! Mucho apreciado!

Oh, hey, @Bill284 , did you say that your mix is regular soil with basically whatever plush amendments you can find?
Yes my soil quality isn't vital.
As I feed my girls constantly, the soil is just there for the roots.
obviously better is better, but it isn't the end of the world if all you can get is cheep soil.
Bokashi and frass will help any soil.
but coco is my jam.
Ran coco for a few years, had a harvest every 4 weeks.
fantastic growth.
And did you also say you are a coco guy?
Coco with Bill284 Method is as good as dwc, honestly.
(Gears turning...)

Six-month-story-short:
I tried to get more of the good boutique soil from Bogotá, but the second batch is a completely different mix, and the quality is not good!
We tried to square it with them, but sadly, they wouldn't.
So... if you are not picky about soil, now we have a lot of basically mediocre soil that could probably be fixed mixed with lots of coco coir and rice hulls, to open it way up. And then we can layer with Perlite (because you are all about the liquid nutes, right?)

Sooo.... (more gears turning....)
How about if I rent a cement mixer
put a tarp on the ground.
dump your soil on top.
add your amendments and use a shovel to mix everything.
it's easier than a cement mixer.
, and we hire someone to remix the soil with mass coco coir, and mass rice hulls, just to make it fluffy (so it can breathe well)?
And then we layer that with Perlite as best as I can figure out, and then I will feed with the local liquid I can get (BioNova Veganics)?
Never used those.
I'll check on them.
And then I also want to run other test pots with Azi's homemade nutes, etc.
So, would that work??
(More gears turning...)
If I can dial your Perlite Parfaits and Azi's nutes in, then I just need to figure out the ideal cloth pot shape (tall vs. squat).
I find taller pots more effective than wider.
Do you have feelings about cloth pot shape? (Tall vs. squat?)
Taller let's the roots get air from the bag much faster.
Height is not really a limit. I am running auto fems at first, and the greenhouse will be 2.8 meters (maybe 8'??).
I think 20 auto fems in SIPs and ten cocoa puff plants should fit, with some other plants. (And if that isn't enough we can build more.)
I figure if Bud's photos fit a 4x4 then my autos should be maybe 3x3?
I've got 25 in a 20 x 10.
8 sq ft / plant, that's too tight, a little more room would have helped.
(Future gears turning...)
At least here on this roof I will be growing auto fems at first, and then when the pantry finally runneth over, I want to transition to 1:1 CBD regulars.
Regulars sound like almost double work, but it has a certain appeal to medical patients.
I prefer photos, better control and quality.
I think with auto males they would maybe show their genders in about a month?
Many of the sponsors sell some auto haze mixes that flower longer, so I guess they get bigger. Not sure on the specifics, more than that. Anyway, I like that idea, of letting them get larger.
Photos give better volumes.
So, should I start them in Solos
yes solos at first.
it's vital to build that root ball.
follow my pictorials.
they are a step by step instructionals on what to do.
Everything is there for you, each step layed out.
, and then transfer them to 1g plastic pots or something until they show their gender?
Bags are better but small pots work aswell.
And then uppot or not, as appropriate?
Or how would you do it?
Build that root ball in each pot, then up-pot.
Roots are key to my method.
you must build a solid rootball in each container before moving up to the next size.
Thanks, amigo! It is great to have your expert help and advice! I hope to have a forest like yours one day soon! Mucho apreciado!
Have a great day my friend.
Hope the move is going well.
Take care.

Stay safe

Sorry, Azi. I am running all around. Finally got some sleep last night.
Sorry, if you are removing the connector pot, then how does the soil, um, er, connect to the reservoir?

Yes my soil quality isn't vital.
As I feed my girls constantly, the soil is just there for the roots.
obviously better is better, but it isn't the end of the world if all you can get is cheep soil.
Ok, that's great to hear!
I think the soil on the property is a heavy clay, but we can break clay up with gypsum over time.
I think I would like to experiment with a couple of pots of the soil from the farm someday (to get to know the soil) and your method sounds perfect.
Bokashi and frass will help any soil.
I will see what I can find. Shipping from the States is a killer. It basically doubles all costs, so I am going to be trying hard to do the best I can do with what is local, natural, and cheap (with certain exceptions, of course).
I still have feelers out for a huge bag edible kelp (they should have it near the ocean).
Biochar originated near here, so that should be a doable technology.
And once we get to the property maybe I can find or make leaf mould, etc.
but coco is my jam.

Ran coco for a few years, had a harvest every 4 weeks.
fantastic growth.

Coco with Bill284 Method is as good as dwc, honestly.
I am very glad to hear that! Coco is also local (say that three times fast!)
They sell kitchen (or farm?) compost mixed with rice hulls for cheap.
Coco is cheap here.
If it is just a big airy sponge for the nutes then I can probably learn how to fake soil with local components.
put a tarp on the ground.
dump your soil on top.
add your amendments and use a shovel to mix everything.
it's easier than a cement mixer.
Really?!?!?! :oops:
Ok, I'ma gon' try it! :thumb:
Never used those.
I'll check on them.

I find taller pots more effective than wider.

Taller let's the roots get air from the bag much faster.
Yeah, taller just seems more intuitive.
(Wider is probably way easier to move, though...)
I've got 25 in a 20 x 10.
8 sq ft / plant, that's too tight, a little more room would have helped.

I prefer photos, better control and quality.

Photos give better volumes.
Yeah, I prefer photos too! But this is another "read at night with the security lights" situation, so for the moment it has to be autos.
yes solos at first.
it's vital to build that root ball.
follow my pictorials.
they are a step by step instructionals on what to do.
Everything is there for you, each step layed out.
:thanks:
I am on cell phone hotspot right now, but when we get internet hooked up I want to reread yours and also some of Azi's stuff.
(And I am sure I will have a zillion questions...)
Bags are better but small pots work aswell.
I like cloth pots, but I would think it is hard to up-pot from a bag???
Build that root ball in each pot, then up-pot.
Roots are key to my method.
you must build a solid rootball in each container before moving up to the next size.
Ok, I will try to mound the center, and run water towards the outside.
Have a great day my friend.
Hope the move is going well.
Take care.
Thanks, Bill!
It turns out the landlady does not want to paint the roof now, so now we can build the greenhouse.
But maybe start building pots tomorrow, and maybe I can start them inside, and then harden them off and transfer them outside later, so that is very good news.
I hope I can start my new thread soon.
I probably need to wait until I have internet, for uploading all of the images.
Gracias, amigo!
Stay safe

Ok, that's great to hear!
I think the soil on the property is a heavy clay, but we can break clay up with gypsum over time.
I think I would like to experiment with a couple of pots of the soil from the farm someday (to get to know the soil) and your method sounds perfect.
Just get the best you can afford.
Add as much of those fantastic ingredients and you'll have the perfect soil to go between the layers of perlite.
That kelp would be amazing.
Once you get the microbes and fungi going they will take care of the roots.
I will see what I can find. Shipping from the States is a killer. It basically doubles all costs, so I am going to be trying hard to do the best I can do with what is local, natural, and cheap (with certain exceptions, of course).
There is a recipe here to make your own Bokashi.
Frass will be better if sourced locally.
What about Mycorrhizae? It's important too.
I still have feelers out for a huge bag edible kelp (they should have it near the ocean).
Biochar originated near here, so that should be a doable technology.
And once we get to the property maybe I can find or make leaf mould, etc.

I am very glad to hear that! Coco is also local (say that three times fast!)
They sell kitchen (or farm?) compost mixed with rice hulls for cheap.
Coco is cheap here.
If it is just a big airy sponge for the nutes then I can probably learn how to fake soil with local components.
Coco is the best for growth.
Has to be Washed & Buffered .
Really?!?!?! :oops:

Ok, I'ma gon' try it!
Probably page 4 or 5 where I show the ingredients.
tarp stayed there all summer baking that soil for next year aswell.
But just recover it and use what you need.
But the longer it sits the better.
So I'd mix extra.

Yeah, taller just seems more intuitive.
That's the way their roots grow.
Not that you won't fill a wide pot.
But on a short veg tall is better.
More layers.
(Wider is probably way easier to move, though...)

Yeah, I prefer photos too! But this is another "read at night with the security lights" situation, so for the moment it has to be autos.
All night security lights?
I am on cell phone hotspot right now, but when we get internet hooked up I want to reread yours and also some of Azi's stuff.
(And I am sure I will have a zillion questions...)

I like cloth pots, but I would think it is hard to up-pot from a bag???
Cloth is simple to uppot.
Squish the bag a bit then push up.
It's completely pictorialized in my thread.
Every pot you can think of.
I used a complete range of pots.
so everyone can find what they use and see a complete demonstration of that particular pot.
Plus it shows how well my method works no matter what pot you use.
It improves root growth in every type of pot in every type of medium.
Ok, I will try to mound the center, and run water towards the outside.
Brilliant.
It will make your life so much easier, you'll thank me. Everyone who tries it does.
Even LKAbudman who has been growing for years loved it.
Thanks, Bill!
It turns out the landlady does not want to paint the roof now, so now we can build the greenhouse.
But maybe start building pots tomorrow, and maybe I can start them inside, and then harden them off and transfer them outside later, so that is very good news.
Rock and roll :theband::yahoo::thumb:
I hope I can start my new thread soon.
Just take pics of everything, you can start the thread and upload pics when your wifi is hooked up.
Did I say that right. :rofl:
I probably need to wait until I have internet, for uploading all of the images.
Gracias, amigo!
Good luck I'm so excited.
Your greenhouse is going to look like mine. ;)
I'll help you show everyone how simple this is to do.
And the consistent fantastic results you'll get.
No fancy pots need.
just what ever you have will be improved greatly.
Talk soon.

Stay safe

Just get the best you can afford.
Add as much of those fantastic ingredients and you'll have the perfect soil to go between the layers of perlite.
That kelp would be amazing.
Once you get the microbes and fungi going they will take care of the roots.
There is a recipe here to make your own Bokashi.
That would be great!
Is there a URL?
Frass will be better if sourced locally.
I haven't seen frass in the Colombian online stores (and definitely not locally), but I can check again.
What about Mycorrhizae? It's important too.
Ok, well, for the short run I bought some @DYNOMYCO, and I also have Recharge.
Long term I am hoping Azi will have a home-made solution.
I usually mix some wc in with the soil, as wc is super cheap here.
Coco is the best for growth.
Has to be Washed & Buffered .
Ohhhhh.... thanks for telling me that.
How can I know if the coco is washed and buffered, or not? 😬
Probably page 4 or 5 where I show the ingredients.
tarp stayed there all summer baking that soil for next year aswell.
But just recover it and use what you need.
But the longer it sits the better.
Ok, good to know!
So I'd mix extra.

That's the way their roots grow.
Not that you won't fill a wide pot.
But on a short veg tall is better.
More layers.

All night security lights?
They are strong enough to read at night, all night.
I am sure they would mess with photos, so I am learning autos right now.
Cloth is simple to uppot.
Squish the bag a bit then push up.
Ok.
But you don't freak out their poor little roots?
Your girls don't get all frizzy-rug-burned on their toes and then get all wilty when you uppot from cloth?
It's completely pictorialized in my thread.
Every pot you can think of.
Yes, all 159 pages, hahaha!
(I finally got some sleep last night. This night, not so much...)
I will try to re-read the first dozen or so pages again, but I think I have the idea.
(Perlite, then layers, Perlite, then layers, then a special Perlite cap for drainage...)
Gotta see what I can find.
I hope to start as soon as I get some time.
We got internet today, so that was great!
I used a complete range of pots.
so everyone can find what they use and see a complete demonstration of that particular pot.
Plus it shows how well my method works no matter what pot you use.
It improves root growth in every type of pot in every type of medium.
Wow!
I hope to try it soon!
Brilliant.
It will make your life so much easier, you'll thank me. Everyone who tries it does.
Even LKAbudman who has been growing for years loved it.

Rock and roll :theband::yahoo::thumb:

Just take pics of everything, you can start the thread and upload pics when your wifi is hooked up.
Did I say that right. :rofl:
Yeah, you said that right. I've just got to get some time.
I am chomping at the bit!
I want to start tomorrow if I can. (We will see.)
Good luck I'm so excited.
Your greenhouse is going to look like mine. ;)
I'll help you show everyone how simple this is to do.
And the consistent fantastic results you'll get.
No fancy pots need.
just what ever you have will be improved greatly.
Talk soon.
Sounds great! Thanks!
Stay safe
Ok, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom