Newbie Grower, Outside Grow, Foxfarm Products

krYzzrandOm

420 Member
Newbie grower here. Using fox farms newts and following their soil feeding schedule to a T. Y’all think this is nutrient burn? I read online maybe bugs or mites. I’m growing outside so could be. Thx

(Pics taken 4 days ago)

81C49934-9FB8-4710-8DCD-646F6D7FA46D.jpeg

AAA00BEE-2819-4C28-A0DF-CD2AC6D8CDBA.jpeg

3254563B-538B-454D-ACAE-F86C7C3E38DA.jpeg

It’s possible some of it’s burn, I use FF nutes and I had issues with their new weekly feeding schedule. However, I’m more concerned you have thrips or some other critters. The second picture looks like thrips, the third pic could be leaf miners or thrips. Get a 60x magnifying glass or jewelers loop and check the undersides of the affected leaves. Look for bugs or tiny black spots (critter crap).

@krYzzrandOm , ouch those pics look bad. It could be a couple of things, I'm thinking spider mites or thrips. Look under the leaves, spider mites leave a web of sorts where as if you see small black dots, this is thrip poop.

I would leave you a web page, but I'm thinking the admin's frown upon that sort of stuff. Just google it, or in my case, my search engine is duckduckdo.

Good luck and get back with your findings, I'm curious if you correct the situation.

Oh, welcome to the forum, I see you are a new member.

Hey @krYzzrandOm and welcome to the forum!

If you find bugs, let us know.

Newbie grower here. Using fox farms newts and following their soil feeding schedule to a T. Y’all think this is nutrient burn? I read online maybe bugs or mites. I’m growing outside so could be. Thx

(Pics taken 4 days ago)

81C49934-9FB8-4710-8DCD-646F6D7FA46D.jpeg

AAA00BEE-2819-4C28-A0DF-CD2AC6D8CDBA.jpeg

3254563B-538B-454D-ACAE-F86C7C3E38DA.jpeg
Hey y’all. So I couldn’t see any bugs w Jewler loop, so I just pruned those fan leaves off. Seems like the “burnt tips” have ceased as well. I was prob giving too much nutrients. Went a little gung ho. I was feeding FF newts every watering! 😑. Newbie grower. Guess I was thinking get all newts to plant as possible. Now I’m watering everyday w ph 6.5 RO water and newts every other day. Basically newts 3x’s a week. I have about 3 weeks left till harvest!

F466E3BD-CEC1-4B72-9577-0EF2770E1ABC.jpeg

081BF355-65A3-483E-A808-9728AF3BC70F.jpeg

7998F7C3-0678-4583-A520-A77BBCE695DF.jpeg

Now I’m watering everyday w ph 6.5 RO water and newts every other day. Basically newts 3x’s a week. I have about 3 weeks left till harvest!
Watering every day may be too much... depends on how much they're drinking and daytime temperature.

Watering every day may be too much... depends on how much they're drinking and daytime temperature.
I been keeping a close eye. I live in the south and it’s still 90 outside. I don’t even know how these gals survived the summer heat, but here we are. Lol. I have a meter I sometimes use that tells ph and saturation of the soil (FF ocean forrest) but it’s not reliable. So I stick my finger in soil about 1-2” down to feel for moisture. Kind of just winging it to be honest 🤷🏻‍♂️😑🤙

Sounds good. You can also pick up the pot to feel the weight, or even just tip it a bit. Get a feel for a just-watered pot vs one that hasn't been watered for a day or more. The plants will wilt a bit if they aren't getting enough water.

happy growing! 🪴

Your plant looks real good, slightly burned tips is OK, it's the plant's way of saying, "thank you, I've had enough nutes now! Using R/O water is good, just remember you may have to add some calmag, the R/O process strips Ca and Mg (and other dissolved solids) from the parent water. IMHO, you've got more than 3 weeks to go. Keep up the good work!

It’s possible some of it’s burn, I use FF nutes and I had issues with their new weekly feeding schedule. However, I’m more concerned you have thrips or some other critters. The second picture looks like thrips, the third pic could be leaf miners or thrips. Get a 60x magnifying glass or jewelers loop and check the undersides of the affected leaves. Look for bugs or tiny black spots (critter crap).
Looks like thrips to me too. I had them @Sierra Natural Science has a lot of good organic products that’ll take care of your problem.

Sounds good. You can also pick up the pot to feel the weight, or even just tip it a bit. Get a feel for a just-watered pot vs one that hasn't been watered for a day or more. The plants will wilt a bit if they aren't getting enough water.

happy growing! 🪴
That’s a great idea! Thx! What would be signs of over watering? Thx

You have both I missed the leaf with the line on it but SNS will take care of both.

Your plant looks real good, slightly burned tips is OK, it's the plant's way of saying, "thank you, I've had enough nutes now! Using R/O water is good, just remember you may have to add some calmag, the R/O process strips Ca and Mg (and other dissolved solids) from the parent water. IMHO, you've got more than 3 weeks to go. Keep up the good work!
Preciate the feedback. The FF kit I have does include cal mag so I’m good there. I just been following their feeding charts to a T. And TBH I really don’t know how old they are lol. I didn’t expect them to survive. I’m on week 8 of their Feeding chart and it goes to 12. It does have a disclaimer stating to prolong growth repeat step 12. What maturity level would you say I’m at? Thx 🙏

happy growing! 🪴
Another thing you can do is weigh on a bathroom scale.

Preciate the feedback. The FF kit I have does include cal mag so I’m good there. I just been following their feeding charts to a T. And TBH I really don’t know how old they are lol. I didn’t expect them to survive. I’m on week 8 of their Feeding chart and it goes to 12. It does have a disclaimer stating to prolong growth repeat step 12. What maturity level would you say I’m at? Thx 🙏
That's kinda a tough one, I think you're OK at the 8 week level. They're not showing any deficiencies and look pretty healthy, so stay the course.

BTW, I'm about 99% sure you have, or had, thrips,. In the last picture you posted, look at the right side of the picture, the big fan leaf, you'll see what looks like something shiny on the leaf, in several spots. That's a dead giveaway for thrips. I don't think it's a bad infestation, I don't see other leaves with the issue, and at this point it really only needs to be monitored.

That's kinda a tough one, I think you're OK at the 8 week level. They're not showing any deficiencies and look pretty healthy, so stay the course.

BTW, I'm about 99% sure you have, or had, thrips,. In the last picture you posted, look at the right side of the picture, the big fan leaf, you'll see what looks like something shiny on the leaf, in several spots. That's a dead giveaway for thrips. I don't think it's a bad infestation, I don't see other leaves with the issue, and at this point it really only needs to be monitored.
Leaf miner’s also.

Hey kryzzrandom ... I see by your pics that you like to grow in the great outdoors, Or backyard in your case... If you are interested in growing some really nice plants next year and you have a 10x10 area to work with,,give me a shout.......Here’s a pic, and its easy-peasy . The bud rails you see are approximately 26” in length

DEF155AC-6E12-4FCC-A074-EBE84D7C3390.jpeg

F50721E2-0290-46AD-A9ED-38FAF045382F.jpeg

BTW, I'm about 99% sure you have, or had, thrips,. In the last picture you posted, look at the right side of the picture, the big fan leaf, you'll see what looks like something shiny on the leaf, in several spots. That's a dead giveaway for thrips. I don't think it's a bad infestation, I don't see other leaves with the issue, and at this point it really only needs to be monitor

Ah man I see it. The frostiness on the leaves…. I think there’s more. I’ll grab some pics and post them tomorrow.

Hey kryzzrandom ... I see by your pics that you like to grow in the great outdoors, Or backyard in your case... If you are interested in growing some really nice plants next year and you have a 10x10 area to work with,,give me a shout.......Here’s a pic, and its easy-peasy . The bud rails you see are approximately 26” in length

DEF155AC-6E12-4FCC-A074-EBE84D7C3390.jpeg

F50721E2-0290-46AD-A9ED-38FAF045382F.jpeg
WOW! Those are some beauties!

Back
Top Bottom