newbie hydro question

feetlikeme

Greetings experts,
newbie here and I love this site and how helpful all yinz guys are! I just purchased a superbox and have a source water question. .. first off I keep a saltwater aquarium ( 180 gal fish and live rock). I use city water that has been filtered through a DI resin and chloramine buster activated carbon to mix the salt water for the aquarium. Its tds is around180 ppm wich is just fine for my application. Can I use the same water to mix nutes for my superbox or should I not risk it? The tap water is 400+ppm before I treat it btw

Thanks folks

Keep in mind that aquariums and hydro reservoirs are 2 different things. :)

If you are talking about using water you filtered for application to your fishtank, then yes you could use thatfiltered water for your hydro application; As long as you did not add salt. You would not be able to use saltwater aquarium water to successfully grow anything, but, Algae.

hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice. Yep, I was referring to the fresh water only . I am not sure what exactly is left in the filtered water giving me around 180 ppm tds . Probably magnesium and stuff like that. I am so new at hydro .... my main concern is mixing the nutrients into that water and whatever those tds are may inhibit nutrient uptake .......?

At 180 ppm; The minerals should not effect your mix much at all. If you really want to play it safe, you can buy a simple Reverse Osmosis water unit to clean all minerals from your tap water; Or do a water sample. Tell the county gent that you are going to grow Tomatoes, and need a water sample in order to mix your nutrients correctly. Tell him a friend that oqns a hydro greenhouse told advised you to get a test. :D Peace

from everything i have read they say to start with water under 100ppm rain water is great as SS stated my well water is 256ppm
i use Amazon: ZeroWater ZD-018 23-Cup Water Dispenser and Filtration System

1666933091014.png

to do my water it brings it down to 1ppm with no waste water and cost me about 20cent a gallon

Back
Top Bottom