Newbie in need of help

SwagDoctor

sure if I should run a 400 watt system or 600. My only issue is venting the 600. I don't want to ruin my extra bedroom by cutting a hole for ventilation. Also I'm in search of a good reliable seed source. I'm looking for northern lights and white widow. I have a seed from some green crack that I've germinated and have outside for now. Money isn't unlimited but I have a little to play around with.

sure if I should run a 400 watt system or 600. My only issue is venting the 600. I don't want to ruin my extra bedroom by cutting a hole for ventilation. Also I'm in search of a good reliable seed source. I'm looking for northern lights and white widow. I have a seed from some green crack that I've germinated and have outside for now. Money isn't unlimited but I have a little to play around with.

Hi and welcome to 420 mag :welcome:

Let's start at the beginning,,,

How many plants?
1-2-3 ? 400 W is more than enough for veg and flower on a few plants.
Bedroom..has a windows ? = ventilation..with some fans...if you want to grow with 600W

If you take a look at our sponsor tab we have a few seed banks here. Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE (R) - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Depending on where you live..you can find one :)
Europe, Australia, USA Canada :)

Many DIY threads here for us with low budget :)

:welcome: Swag to :420:

I'd buy the 600W with dimmable ballast. They are the best bang for the buck. If it runs a little hot, you could run it at 75% and still have about the same efficiency as a 400W setup with the added bonus of being able to crank it to 11.

Thanks! Starting with at least 3 or 4. I'll probably go with the 600 and get the ballast. I've been researching for weeks. I should have everything by the first and I'll start a grow log for you guys! I'm looking into northern lights and white widow

Hi and welcome to 420 mag :welcome:

Let's start at the beginning,,,

How many plants?
1-2-3 ? 400 W is more than enough for veg and flower on a few plants.
Bedroom..has a windows ? = ventilation..with some fans...if you want to grow with 600W

If you take a look at our sponsor tab we have a few seed banks here. Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE (R) - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Depending on where you live..you can find one :)
Europe, Australia, USA Canada :)

Many DIY threads here for us with low budget :)

I'd buy the 600W with dimmable ballast. They are the best bang for the buck. If it runs a little hot, you could run it at 75% and still have about the same efficiency as a 400W setup with the added bonus of being able to crank it to 11.

Hell... that's advice I should follow.
Ya know... is there really that much difference between 400 & 600?
Gettin me thinking about replacing my gear.... it's been running many years.

Hell... that's advice I should follow.
Ya know... is there really that much difference between 400 & 600?
Gettin me thinking about replacing my gear.... it's been running many years.

There is not a big difference in price or efficiency, but the 600 does offer slightly more lumens per watt that the 400 (at full power).
Since they are about the same price, the biggest difference is the option of running the 600 at 50% higher wattage than a 400, yielding more than 50% additional light over the 400.

There is not a big difference in price or efficiency, but the 600 does offer slightly more lumens per watt that the 400 (at full power).
Since they are about the same price, the biggest difference is the option of running the 600 at 50% higher wattage than a 400, yielding more than 50% additional light over the 400.

Our thoughts follow a similar trail.... plus, winter's somewhere around the corner, and I could really use the addition power during the cooler months. Additional bonus.... I could use the old ballast with a conversion bulb in my veg tent.

Yup.... might have to drop a few pennies on a new ballast and bulb.

Our thoughts follow a similar trail.... plus, winter's somewhere around the corner, and I could really use the addition power during the cooler months. Additional bonus.... I could use the old ballast with a conversion bulb in my veg tent.

Yup.... might have to drop a few pennies on a new ballast and bulb.

Same here, even in my tiny unheated grow room, I have to run a 600 HPS + two MH-300's + a small heater during the winter.

Same here, even in my tiny unheated grow room, I have to run a 600 HPS + two MH-300's + a small heater during the winter.

I've really got small square footage (4x5bloom, 3x3veg tent) and run either cool or warm air between them and out. This is the first year with my insulated bloom room design and I'm guessing I'll have little need for heat, but use a small oil-filled heater when needed.

I've really got small square footage (4x5bloom, 3x3veg tent) and run either cool or warm air between them and out. This is the first year with my insulated bloom room design and I'm guessing I'll have little need for heat, but use a small oil-filled heater when needed.

I grow in a shower in our garage = 33" x 33" actual grow area, but there is extra room at one end. It totals about 3' x 5' x 8'. No heat.

Back
Top Bottom