Newbie in need of quick help plz

420buzz

I am sure this is somewhere on here but I am new to this site and still getting use to the site. If you could help me out on a few question that would be great. I was wondering what is the minimum,ideal, and maximum room size for a 600w MH w/ possibly a 250w HPS then eventually a 600w HPS w/ possibly 250w MH if they have that size MH bulb but one similar size. Then the tube like florescent bulbs have labels like t5 which people seem to use to grow, but I was always under the impression that was just the size of the bulb. I know someone with a hood with the florescent bulbs and it looks like the t5 growing hood with multiple bulbs, but my buddies are t8's can I use those to use for clones and veg? Thank you for any help or advise you are willing to share with me I am here to learn and to help out in the few instances that I can, I am hoping I can make those few instances to more frequent.

I was wondering what is the minimum,ideal, and maximum room size for a 600w MH w/ possibly a 250w HPS then eventually a 600w HPS w/ possibly 250w MH if they have that size MH bulb but one similar size.

A 600W HID lamp should have an effective area of about 4x4x4 ft. This will be lowered if the light has to travel thru a heavy canopy - which is the real benefit of an extra light.

Then the tube like florescent bulbs have labels like t5 which people seem to use to grow, but I was always under the impression that was just the size of the bulb. I know someone with a hood with the florescent bulbs and it looks like the t5 growing hood with multiple bulbs, but my buddies are t8's can I use those to use for clones and veg? Thank you for any help or advise you are willing to share with me I am here to learn and to help out in the few instances that I can, I am hoping I can make those few instances to more frequent.

You are partially correct. The designation T5 and T8 does indicate the size of the bulb (the digit is eights of an inch in diameter) - a T5 is 5/8" in diameter. A T8 is 8/8" (or 1 inch) in diameter.

A T5 can also produce more usable light (lumens) than a T8. The bulbs can be overdriven (HO) to produce even more lumens. This means that the T5s produce more usable light with less electricity.

If you are buying new - go with T5s. If you are putting something together from scratch, a T8 should work just fine. You will get less usable light and use more electricity to produce that same light... but it will work.

Hope that helps.

The maximum coverage area for a 600 watt light is 12 square feet. The usable footprint depends on the reflector being used. Greatlife is correct on the measurements for the size of the bulb. However the technology used to drive those bulbs is slightly different from each generation making them more energy efficient. By over driving a T12 or T8 you will only get ~65% increase in photons for twice the amount of power used. T5 high output bulbs (either from over driving or a HO ballast) will give you roughly 95% increase. For more basic information on plant lighting check out the link in my signature.

For more basic information on plant lighting check out the link in my signature.

Lots of good information in that thread - thanks for the link.

Awesome guys thank you so much that answered my question perfectly. Has anyone used t5's for veg? Im pretty sure im going with a MH but a guy spoke to me about t5's and I thought I would do some research into using them for veg. I was just going to use them for my clones but what experiences have you guys had with t5's and veg?

I use a 4' T5 for my clone box - works great.

For veg, I prefer to have the little ladies in the tent. I have a 4' 4 bulb T5 light system that I use for growing lettuce. I tried using that in my tent but, believe it or not, it produces more heat on the seedlings than does the larger 400W (I upgraded to 600W this week in an emergency) system that I have in the tent.

The main reason is that I have to keep the T5 so close to the plants, and the hood is not air cooled.

I keep my MH light at the top of the tent - I never move it. It throws out enough light to keep the seedlings happy even though they are about 4' away from it. The MH light has an air cooled tube and the added distance to the plants means that the canopy is actually cooler using this bigger light. And there is little doubt that the spectrum produced by the bulb I am using is better than i can get out of a T5. But it costs me more money to run...

Lots of people grow successfully with T5s and T8s. Just in my short time here, I have noticed that there are people who put me to shame on yield and they use nothing but T5s. I guess I have always known this, but this site makes it clear: If you have your technique in tune with your equipment - you can produce great yields.

Nice I am starting to get convinced I really like them because they are cheaper and well the reduction in heat. Well, at least I thought the reduction of heat hahaha. I am just torn between the two. I have funds to get a hood with a 6in exhaust with a digital 600 watt MH with digital ballast, but if I could use t5's and get the same yield potential I would rather use that for price and heat. Well, with some more thought on venting it cause I didn't realize they would heat up that much, but that won't be a problem. I just want to make sure that the plant is getting the best amount of light and the best amount of good light. The space I am using is going to be 4x4 if there is any advice you guys have on which route to go that would be awesome. And, thank you GreatLife4All I didn't realize that fixture heated up that much I was always told it barely put heat off.

The T5 fixture that I use is the Quantum BadBoy T5 4', 4 Lamp system. I think it is rated at 260 Watts - it is very powerful. And growing in a tent is very different than an open room.

It sits over a bed of aeroponic lettuce right now - I have to keep it about 15" to prevent burning the lettuce. But leaf lettuce is fairly tender. And it does grow lettuce very, very well. Which is strictly vegging - no flower cycle.

Ultimately it is your call on what to do. But remember what the old time growers say - Double the light, double the yield. And I would add a cautionary note... as long as everything else remains the same.

I think I am going to give the MH a try it is still very cool over where I am at right now which is very surprising so maybe it just might work but if not now I know that I can definitely run t5's. That was a lot of great advice that helps out tremendously, and it is greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom