Newbie in town

Welcome to 420Mag bro, alot of us started with ghetto grows. Dont worry nobody here will judge you. All we will do is help you get the most with what you have, and maybe make some affordable light recommendation's. Let us know if you start a journal, I will be there! Hope your having a good day!!
:passitleft:

I'm looking at starting a grow journal, but currently my grow is probably pretty ghetto looking. Ha. It's a closet cfl grow thrown together when I was surprised with a Painkiller clone for Christmas, and after a clean up today and some LST, she looks naked compared to the bush she was this weekend.
What do you mean "ghetto" :hmmmm:...I grew with CFLs for almost 10 years in a closet...I have a 1000w HPS now, but I'm still in the closet :rofl:...but still those CFLs did the job man....:slide:
Oh yeah....welcome to the jungle :welcome:

Thank you everyone! I've posted a grow journal, and the question is there, but my potting soil on hand sucked, so I layered garden rocks at the bottom to assist with drainage, now my roots are down into the rocks. Is important I keep those roots wet? Or should I let the whole thing dry out before watering again?

What do you mean "ghetto" :hmmmm:...I grew with CFLs for almost 10 years in a closet...I have a 1000w HPS now, but I'm still in the closet :rofl:...but still those CFLs did the job man....:slide:
Oh yeah....welcome to the jungle :welcome:

I mean I've got a cardboard box and aluminum foil around my plant while it's small to retain light. Was not prepared for the project and making due with cheap house hold solutions.

It is a well traveled myth that rocks in the bottom of your container help with drainage. Actually, just the opposite is true. Because of additional surface area of the rocks as compared to the flat bottom, capillary action between the roots and all the hard surfaces down there will keep it wet... more wet than if it were just soil. By the time you actually dried it out down there, the top roots would be in trouble. Basically, you have just created a hempy/soil hybrid, that can survive... it just isn't the optimum way to do this. With your moisture meter, watch the water table drop down to the level of the rocks. This will be the time to water. The roots that can deal with it will specialize down there, and you will get another soil layer of feeder roots just above them.

It is a well traveled myth that rocks in the bottom of your container help with drainage. Actually, just the opposite is true. Because of additional surface area of the rocks as compared to the flat bottom, capillary action between the roots and all the hard surfaces down there will keep it wet... more wet than if it were just soil. By the time you actually dried it out down there, the top roots would be in trouble. Basically, you have just created a hempy/soil hybrid, that can survive... it just isn't the optimum way to do this. With your moisture meter, watch the water table drop down to the level of the rocks. This will be the time to water. The roots that can deal with it will specialize down there, and you will get another soil layer of feeder roots just above them.

I've been duped! But now I know what I'm doing. Thanks! Hempy is my next project, after I pick up another strain or two. Or if the cuttings i took today survive.

I mean I've got a cardboard box and aluminum foil around my plant while it's small to retain light. Was not prepared for the project and making due with cheap house hold solutions.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I started the same way man...it's gona be ok...your in the right spot :surf: and buddy here's to CFL possibilities .....:slide:
130.jpg

128.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I started the same way man...it's gona be ok...your in the right spot :surf: and buddy here's to CFL possibilities .....:slide:
130.jpg

128.jpg

Some beautiful ladies you got there, I'm definitely hoping to get similar results one day. Figuring out where and how to get lights positioned is my issue now. Working with hoods and house lamps. Will definitely be upgrading soon.

Some beautiful ladies you got there, I'm definitely hoping to get similar results one day. Figuring out where and how to get lights positioned is my issue now. Working with hoods and house lamps. Will definitely be upgrading soon.
To be serious for a minute...I started with CFLs back in the day for stealth and electric bill reasons, but as I continued CFLs got more expensive and HIDs were less expensive...so in the long run, I now have a 1000w HPS and it's only 142w more than my CFLs were :hmmmm: and the 33 CFLs I had put out 52,800 lumens compared to the 140,000 lumens I have now.....just a thought for going HID...peace and good luck man

To be serious for a minute...I started with CFLs back in the day for stealth and electric bill reasons, but as I continued CFLs got more expensive and HIDs were less expensive...so in the long run, I now have a 1000w HPS and it's only 142w more than my CFLs were :hmmmm: and the 33 CFLs I had put out 52,800 lumens compared to the 140,000 lumens I have now.....just a thought for going HID...peace and good luck man

I have been looking at HID lights, but I'm currently a stay at home dad, looking for a work from home job. So the wife has my budget for this down to a little bit here a little bit there. Once I can produce a second income, I will definitely be moving to a different light set up. I'm just not sure on the best way to cool the closet with the HID, my landlord is cool, but not cool enough to let me put holes in doors and walls for fans. I've eyeballed LEDs, but I feel like that's something you get what you put into it, and don't want to buy a cheap LED and be left with minimal yield.

I have been looking at HID lights, but I'm currently a stay at home dad, looking for a work from home job. So the wife has my budget for this down to a little bit here a little bit there. Once I can produce a second income, I will definitely be moving to a different light set up. I'm just not sure on the best way to cool the closet with the HID, my landlord is cool, but not cool enough to let me put holes in doors and walls for fans. I've eyeballed LEDs, but I feel like that's something you get what you put into it, and don't want to buy a cheap LED and be left with minimal yield.
I understand that, but remember this, from someone who went the wrong direction...you will only get out of it, what you put into it, and end up spending more in the long run...come up with a plan inside your budget and stick to it for long term results...I've been doing this for 10 years and I'm still learning...peace man...

Back
Top Bottom