Newbie Indoor Suggestion

jaynewbie

Hi team,

I'm just starting to my growbox setup and trying out some training on tomato seeds.
It's on my 3rd day using jiffy peat to germinate these seedlings. Technically after going through few forums, I would like to get feedback learn the right way of growing.

This is my current equipment I'm using :-

4x4 growbox ( 90x90x180 cm )
4 inch 190 CFM Duct Inline Fan ( Airflow to outside )
Hipargero 800W LED COBS 3W OSRAM
Fabric Pots Plant on a rectangular tray ( Tray is in the below pic )
KEMING mini dehumidifier
5 inch HF-125S Mix flow Ventillation ( Airflow to inside )
Noise Reducer Muffler
2 x Fan Blower Speed Controller
Charcoal Air Filter

My setup :-

20190911_085922.jpg

20190911_085938.jpg

My tomato seedling germinating
20190911_085942.jpg

But now i'm testing out my growbox humidity and temperature before i actually start raising some kids of mine ~

I'm following the initial rules : 18 hours sunlight and 6 hours lights off.

7am - 1pm ( Resting period )
1pm - 7am ( LED on )

Note : My inflow air setup is not yet up , waiting for the ducting aluminium to reach. My outflow air setup is up and running.

I realized during the lights of this is the reading below ( Temperature 29 degree Celsius & 72% humidity )
20190911_085818.jpg

During light time it's Temperature 32 degree Celsius & 52 % humidity

I need to assist in how to maintain the temperature and humidity as the recommended humidity is best around 50% humidity and temperature 25-29 celcius during lights on and 21-25 celcius during lights off.

Please advise ~

Hi Jay,
Nice setup you have there.
I too germinate in Jiffy pucks. I have great results with them. The only thing I can see that might delay or hinder your germination is the temp.
Being at the bottom of the tent the temp is slightly lower down on the floor. Especially if you have the tent on bare concrete.
I suggest for the germination period you place these in a warm area such as on top of your wifi router or cable box. These electronics give off heat and that's just what a seed wants. Heat, and humidity.
If you have a clear plastic Tupperware lid you could put over them to hold the humidity that would help. Also the standing water the jiffy's are sitting in isn't the best practice. The Jiffy might be too wet. I actually give them a gentle squeeze after I saturate them just to run off the excess. I'm not saying your method wont work... just pointing you down a more commonly traveled path so to speak I guess. lol.
Good luck.

Hi Jay,
Nice setup you have there.
I too germinate in Jiffy pucks. I have great results with them. The only thing I can see that might delay or hinder your germination is the temp.
Being at the bottom of the tent the temp is slightly lower down on the floor. Especially if you have the tent on bare concrete.
I suggest for the germination period you place these in a warm area such as on top of your wifi router or cable box. These electronics give off heat and that's just what a seed wants. Heat, and humidity.
If you have a clear plastic Tupperware lid you could put over them to hold the humidity that would help. Also the standing water the jiffy's are sitting in isn't the best practice. The Jiffy might be too wet. I actually give them a gentle squeeze after I saturate them just to run off the excess. I'm not saying your method wont work... just pointing you down a more commonly traveled path so to speak I guess. lol.
Good luck.

Hi GreenLizard,

Noted on the seed germinating method, so let's just say i don't damp the jiffy area. But i ensure on a daily basis the jiffy peat is soak wet then squeeze a little and place it on the modem. Is that a good option?

How do i control the temperature ? that's like a showstopper for me now.

If you place your hand on your modem you will get a gauge for how warm it gets. Most don't get too hot. I like to germinate between 80-90 degrees. Personally I have a heat mat designed for this. They are fairly cheap.
Also I use a humidity dome that sits on the heat mat. You can see all these things in my journals.
Once they sprout they need a light cycle.
Note: once the seed is planted in the jiffy no longer "squeeze" excess moisture out of the puck. That's just to start the puck and prepare it for the seed. You don't want to disturb the very fragile root that will be starting.
Ideally you wouldn't have to re-wet the puck if it were in a humidity dome. Even two plastic cups (one on top of the other) will create a humidity dome as long as the top cup is clear.

If you place your hand on your modem you will get a gauge for how warm it gets. Most don't get too hot. I like to germinate between 80-90 degrees. Personally I have a heat mat designed for this. They are fairly cheap.
Also I use a humidity dome that sits on the heat mat. You can see all these things in my journals.
Once they sprout they need a light cycle.
Note: once the seed is planted in the jiffy no longer "squeeze" excess moisture out of the puck. That's just to start the puck and prepare it for the seed. You don't want to disturb the very fragile root that will be starting.
Ideally you wouldn't have to re-wet the puck if it were in a humidity dome. Even two plastic cups (one on top of the other) will create a humidity dome as long as the top cup is clear.

Ah , it's similar to a propagator box is it ?
I'll follow your journal to learn more . Thank you ~

Up,

After checking again when lights off,

Temp is 31.5 degree celcius and humidity is 68%

Should i invest in a portable aircondition and upgrade my dehumidier to a better one?

@Greenlizard

Update :

I've installed the inflow air with a piping inlet air
20190912_201658.jpg

So the inside looks like this :-

20190912_201538.jpg

This is my outgoing air that i attached to a netted window
20190912_200859.jpg

So i did a reading to get the humidity and temperature

Lights off :-
Screenshot_20190912-082642_Mi Home.jpg

Lights on :-
Screenshot_20190912-204129_Mi Home.jpg

I also reduce the height of the lamp a little lower which raise the temperature by few degree.

Ugh, i really need advise.. should invest in a portable air-conditioner +better dehumidifier ?

Well for now this is great! Perfect temp and humidity for popping seeds. Once they sprout you will have to contend with the high temp. If you could get it down even to 30 degrees with lights on and 27-28 with lights off that would be fine. I don't know your climate or season but if the natural temp isn't going to drop any time soon you may have to invest in a small a/c unit.
Don't worry about that humidity right now. You have weeks before you need to get that down.

Also I want to ask if this temperature reading is from down where the seeds are or up higher in the tent? The air is cooler at the bottom typically.

It's in the middle of the tent left side , i'm going to change this setting in awhile and see the readings.

My current setting is fan outside & filter inside , should i change to fan & filter inside?

Ventilation-Setup-Guide.jpg

I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes but I run my fan & filter inside the tent. I suppose with smaller tents the available space up top is limited and requires a different method. It all works so it's really up to you and the space your working with.

It doesn't matter so much now but I find it's best practice to keep your temp meter at canopy height. This is what the plants are feeling and that's all that needs to be noted.
Any signs of sprouts yet? How many days since you planted the seeds? Don't dig em' up! lol. It's tempting but don't disturb them.

It doesn't matter so much now but I find it's best practice to keep your temp meter at canopy height. This is what the plants are feeling and that's all that needs to be noted.
Any signs of sprouts yet? How many days since you planted the seeds? Don't dig em' up! lol. It's tempting but don't disturb them.

I think it's the 5th day, but fyi i'm just training on tomato seed. Haven't yet done the big deal yet.
I think i screwed up , i'm going to have to redo the step and follow your step of germination.

Btw after applying the fan and filter inside.

i see a slight improvement, but im going to keep on monitoring and i think i have to get a portable a/c in this case. But i have one at my hometown , i can just borrow to see the difference in temperature.

In a normal day basis, the room temperature in my counter will hit 36 degree celcius and 32 in the night.
Screenshot_20190912-231401_Mi Home.jpg

@Greenlizard , actually there's no difference. After few minutes

Screenshot_20190912-233531_Mi Home.jpg

I think i need to resort to portable a/c this is my current setup.

setup.png

Even my air purifier detect the surrounding room temperature isas below :-

Screenshot_20190912-234216_Mi Home.jpg

Gosh i feel hopeless. I'm going to figure it out tomorrow.

TQ mate really appreciate your time and reply. You're the best!!

Oh I see. Your just practicing with tomato seeds for now... Good idea.
Once your ready for the real deal there are many great threads on how best to pop seeds. I suggest you utilize the search function of the site and study to get ahead of the game.
The way I pop seeds may not be the best method for you so I suggest you weigh out the options before you decide on a method.

Back
Top Bottom