Newbie looking for help!

kaufman

420 Member
I have all the stupid questions the newbies gotta ask, looking for help right from start to finish, I have a decent size “closet” I got a 400 watt light, and apparently everything else needed to do everything except I gotta set my room up and stuff, I got seeds from CK!, I got bloom and veg additive, timer for light blah blah, looking help with everything else,
How big of pot?
Should I put something on the walls and floor in the room? It’s currently white with wood flooring?
What kinda soil?
when how to use additives anything else I need?
How long with each light and so on?
im excited to go full into growing just need helping getting there thanks!

You've got a few decisions to make...
How will you grow? Soil, Soiless, and hydro are the most common options.
If you grow in soil, will it be organic, or inorganic (synthetic).
If you grow soil less or hydro, what will you use as a substrate for your plants to anchor to?
I use 70% coco / 30% perlite as a substrate for drain-to-waste hydroponics.

What nutrients will you use?
There are many lines available. Used correctly, any will get you to harvest.
I have used General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements, and have switched to Mega Crop for my current grow. It's much less costly (less than $20 from seed to harvest for three plants), and much easier to use (one part dry formula, good from seed to harvest).

How will you finish your closet? At a minimum it should be painted with flat white kitchen & bath, or exterior paint. Epoxy is also a very good choice. A reflective film, such as mylar or Panda film would be a good addition.
I grow in tents. It's much cheaper than converting a room.

Is the 400W what the manufacturer advertises, or what your light actually draws. You will need 30 - 45W per square foot in flower, depending on the quality of your light.
I first bought an 1800W Dimmable COB for my 2' x 4' tent. It only draws 315W from the wall, and was not powerful enough.

Ventilation in the form of an exhaust fan will be required. Will you also need a carbon filter to deal with the odor? You need air movement in your grow space. Oscillating fans are usually used.

Monitoring equipment will be needed. You need to know the air temperature and humidity in your grow area. You need to be able to measure the pH of your nutrient solutions. If you grow hydroponically, you will need to be able to check the TDS or EC of your nutrient solutions. Some also track the pH and TDS/EC of the run off.

The size of pots is dependent upon how you grow. As a rule of thumb in soil, the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant.

Setting up a grow area is well covered in The70’s thread 'New Grower, planning my new grow space'.

How big is the closet?What type of seeds.I`m on my second closet grow with Berry type plants that are Indica,they should keep under 3- 4 feet tall..Easy grow strains.2nd grow seem to coming along much better.My first grow the smell of the plants did not bother me.
How big is your budget?

Yeah I put a duct in threw my light to put air in with a fan in the duct work, have it set up to only run when lights on, and I have a duct going out, I also have two fans hanging from ceiling, it’s nice I have access too the attic in this closet it’s a big walk in closest

I'm not very experienced but the little snippet of advise I would give would be to just try 2 plants under your light for your first grow.
Don't go chucking cash at too much to start with.
Things will probably go wrong with your first grow and you will learn a lot from it.
You will also have a better idea of what to spend your cash afterwards.
Either way good luck with it, I hope to see you posting pictures of your fat buds in the future.

Welcome. I'm a big fan of KISS. Don't get too sophisticated until you have grown a few crops. My grow area is in an unused bedroom. I made my tent by hanging panda film from the ceiling and use it on the floor, too. I grow in 7 gallon bags with Sunshine mix(peat/perlite) and use General Hydro nutes. Pro-mix is another good peat/perlite medium. I get Sunshine at Home Depot. Most nute manufacturers have feeding instructions in detail on there sites. Main thing: It's a weed. More plants are killed by kindness than neglect.

Yeah it’s legal that and I have a massive house on 400 acres with no nahbours for miles, closest being my parents lol, I have coal filter but not using it

Good pot reeks during flowering and drying. The smell really travels too. It attracts attention. I'd use the filter. No reason not to unless your extractor fan isn't strong enough to draw it.

I was just thinking it was less work for the fan to exchange fresh air, that’s my light, my last guys i did in really small pots so the plants didn’t get huge on me ..

Attachments

• 50C7568B-FEEE-4105-907B-6206CE378267.jpeg
    50C7568B-FEEE-4105-907B-6206CE378267.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 43
  • BBF40A6D-05D4-4168-BE74-638D36237F21.jpeg
    BBF40A6D-05D4-4168-BE74-638D36237F21.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 61
That was my last plant, just bought the farm and moved in wanted to get something going so just used what I had hoping to get bigger and better

Attachments

• BA436A49-773D-4197-AC8D-D1AA88FB2671.jpeg
    BA436A49-773D-4197-AC8D-D1AA88FB2671.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 67
Okay guys, hear my new girl, planted Jan 18th 4 days germinating as directed from cks, I’m use too throwing seeds in the back yard and coming back when there done, should I trim them, when do I change the light times all newbie questions!

Attachments

• DA9EC76C-16E7-4052-86E6-4A449B9D3277.jpeg
    DA9EC76C-16E7-4052-86E6-4A449B9D3277.jpeg
    915.3 KB · Views: 58
I have all the stupid questions the newbies gotta ask, looking for help right from start to finish, I have a decent size “closet” I got a 400 watt light, and apparently everything else needed to do everything except I gotta set my room up and stuff, I got seeds from CK!, I got bloom and veg additive, timer for light blah blah, looking help with everything else,
How big of pot?
Should I put something on the walls and floor in the room? It’s currently white with wood flooring?
What kinda soil?
when how to use additives anything else I need?
How long with each light and so on?
im excited to go full into growing just need helping getting there thanks!
As someone starting in growing cannabis is understanding that you need to make sure that your PH is alway between 5.5 (hydro) and 6.5 (soil) when you feed your plants so that all nutrients are available for uptake by the plant. Too alkaline or acidic will cause nutrient lockout despite plenty being available. That's key before even nutrients

Okay guys, hear my new girl, planted Jan 18th 4 days germinating as directed from cks, I’m use too throwing seeds in the back yard and coming back when there done, should I trim them, when do I change the light times all newbie questions!
Looking at the picture if your misting your plants then stop because it's causing wrinkling and your leaves to get scorched by your light. Honestly if you can veg is better under a metal halide bulb with better spectrum for veg.

Back
Top Bottom