Exoticbliss

Hi everyone! PLEASE BE NICE AND BARE WITH ME :love: Sooo I'm a newbie to this whole indoor growing thing and I need some pointers from all you experts :circle-of-love: I attempted to germinate a few seeds that I found in a batch of bud I bought and so far only one has sprouted within the last 3-4 days- I used the paper towel method. I'm going to give the other seeds a few more days and hopefully they will sprout as well. Also, I'll be growing in my closet which is fairly big almost a walkin closet but not exactly if that makes sense.

Now that I have my little seedling. WHAT IS NEXT? Here are a few questions:

1. Once I plant the seedling into the soil, will it need light right away?

2. What kind of light source and bulb wattage can I use, that can be found at Walmart?

3. Does each stage require different lighting? ( cold and hot bulbs.. Etc)

I'll be purchasing some Fox Farms Ocean soil, grow big, tiger bloom, and big boom.. But that will take atleast two business days to arrive. For now, I will be going to Walmart and purchasing some Miracle grow, some kind of grow light ( once I know which kind or what I'm even looking for lol), and plastic cups for the sprouting stage. Please let me know if I missed anything and what your suggestions are I would appreciate any feedback.

PS- How do I upload pics? lol thanks again xoxo

image34335.jpg
image34334.jpg

Welcome to the magazine!

I'm sure your going to find everything need here. But first I would like you to take a quick read through here and then please feel free to ask away. I'm here now so I've got you covered.

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

I look forward to getting this all sorted out with you!

Welcome to 420!
Give the other beans a few days. I bet you get more to pop.
Lights can go from mild to wild. More is better as long as you can control the rest of the environment (temperature and humidity). You will also want som air circulation, if possible (think small fan). For veg go with cool/blue end of the spectrum if you are going to buy CFL's or T-8 / T-5 lamps.
I'd pop those seeds into 1 gallon pots. Once they are rootbound you can up-pot them if you are going to grow them large-ish. Otherwise just put them in their final home. Again, more soil is more better. The seeds don't need light until they hit the surface. In fact the seed and roots do not like light and air - at all. But those seeds will need light immediately once they are sprouted. CFLs are nice 'cuz you can get them easily and you can place them almost anywhere w/o worrying about burning leaves. If you keep lights close and stick with full spectrum or the cool end, you will minimize stretch and spindly plants.
As for picture uploads, it looks like you figured it out and the gallery "how-to" is your best bet.
Best of luck!

Re: Newbie in need of help

Hello Exoticbliss and welcome to :420: :)

You've come to the right place :) The people here are patient and knowledgeable :)

Use a seedling soil for the 1st couple weeks, Walmart should have some. For the time it is growing and not being put into flowering, you can use 6500K CFLs. For the first couple weeks, one 23w is fine :) as the plant grows, you will want to add more lights/bulbs.

If you can afford the bulbs, during the veg stage (growing but not flowering) use 2 6500k bulbs to 1 2700k bulb. Once you decide to put it into flower, use 2700k bulbs if using CFLs and if you can use 3 2700k bulbs to one 6500k bulb :)

If you have other questions, give a shout :)

Welcome to 420!
Give the other beans a few days. I bet you get more to pop.
Lights can go from mild to wild. More is better as long as you can control the rest of the environment (temperature and humidity). You will also want som air circulation, if possible (think small fan). For veg go with cool/blue end of the spectrum if you are going to buy CFL's or T-8 / T-5 lamps.
I'd pop those seeds into 1 gallon pots. Once they are rootbound you can up-pot them if you are going to grow them large-ish. Otherwise just put them in their final home. Again, more soil is more better. The seeds don't need light until they hit the surface. In fact the seed and roots do not like light and air - at all. But those seeds will need light immediately once they are sprouted. CFLs are nice 'cuz you can get them easily and you can place them almost anywhere w/o worrying about burning leaves. If you keep lights close and stick with full spectrum or the cool end, you will minimize stretch and spindly plants.
As for picture uploads, it looks like you figured it out and the gallery "how-to" is your best bet.
Best of luck!

- Great feedback! Now as far as the lighting, which do you suggest I purchase the T-5 or T-8 CFL? Once the seeds hit the surface is this the veg stage? Sorry if I'm not making sense, this is all fairly new. I will make sure to buy some cool/blue bulbs tonight so I'm prepared for when the seedlings decide to poke thru the soil!!

Also, how often do I water them once they are planted?

Hello Exoticbliss and welcome to :420: :)

You've come to the right place :) The people here are patient and knowledgeable :)

Use a seedling soil for the 1st couple weeks, Walmart should have some. For the time it is growing and not being put into flowering, you can use 6500K CFLs. For the first couple weeks, one 23w is fine :) as the plant grows, you will want to add more lights/bulbs.

If you can afford the bulbs, during the veg stage (growing but not flowering) use 2 6500k bulbs to 1 2700k bulb. Once you decide to put it into flower, use 2700k bulbs if using CFLs and if you can use 3 2700k bulbs to one 6500k bulb :)

If you have other questions, give a shout :)

- Thanks a ton for your feedback!!! :love:
I will make sure to purchase 23w tonight... When you say 23w is that just like a light bulb or CFL? Sorry if I'm not making sense lol this is all coming together for me.

- Great feedback! Now as far as the lighting, which do you suggest I purchase the T-5 or T-8 CFL? Once the seeds hit the surface is this the veg stage? Sorry if I'm not making sense, this is all fairly new. I will make sure to buy some cool/blue bulbs tonight so I'm prepared for when the seedlings decide to poke thru the soil!!

Also, how often do I water them once they are planted?

T-5's are better, but not by much. They are also usually a lot more $$$. I'd buy whatever fits your space and budget best. The little "twisty" bulb-style CFLs are great for spot lighting. Look for 6500 degree K (color) bulbs.

Some call it the seedling stage, but they are veg'ing as soon as they break the surface - just more delicate at first. Watering is tough to say. It depends on the soil, size of pot, heat and humidity, etc. I'm a firm believer in wet/dry cycles. A lot of new growers over-water. You want pourous well drained soil. Drench the pot. Really soak it until it won't take a drop more. You can place you pot into another pot lined with a garbage bag so it won't leak and let it soak with water from the top and rom below. Next step is to drain it well by tipping the pot from side to side so as much water runs out as possible. Don't water again until the plant just begins to wilt. This makes the plant build a strong, solid rootball as it looks for moisture. Repeat. Once aplant needs water every couple of days, it is time for a bigger pot. With a new baby, it might take a couple of weeks (or more) before it needs anything. Get used to what the pots fee like when empty/dry. Lift them once in a while and you will learn when they are going to need a little something.

This post might help you with the watering. I let this one go about 12 hours too long before watering. It is very thirsty, but no harm, no foul.

This post might help you with the watering. I let this one go about 12 hours too long before watering. It is very thirsty, but no harm, no foul.

Very helpful Major! You're making this easier for me lol. These are the supplies I bought tonight, what do you think? Also, should I soak the soil prior to planting my seedling? I'm hoping this will be enough lighting once the other three pop, I'm thinking I'll have to get T-5 or more CFLS once it hits the veg stage
image34343.jpg

I don't do much from seed and I do not do the paper towel thing. I prefer to put the beans right into soil after a 12 hour soak in plain water. I'd leave the pots dry, use a pencil and go down about 1/2 to 3/4", drop the seed, cover gently, and water it in well. If you water the pot in advance, the soil either won't fill around the seed nice and snug, or you beat up the delicate tap root by pressing it down, IMO.
The amount of light really depends on your goal and space. More is always better, unless it isn't. :cheesygrinsmiley:
No worries - you'll rock this grow.

I was able to make it to the store tonight to pick up a few supplies to get the process started! As you can see from the pic, i bought the 23w CFL cool white bulbs with the light fixture/reflector. Do you think this will be sufficient lighting for the other 3 seeds that haven't yet germinated? I was thinking I would eventually just buy some T-5 bulbs once they are in the veg stage. -

I'll be putting the only seed that sprouted so far in the black cup with Miracle Grow soil and water it with distilled water. How long should I leave it in the plastic cups and where should I leave it? Light or no light?

Any suggestions would be awesome :thanks: :love::love:
image34343.jpg

Hey Exotic, I would ditch the Miracle Grow while you still can and get some seedling starter mix as suggested. People have managed to grow cannabis in MG soil before, but generally speaking it's a horrible soil for cannabis and there are a lot of burnt plants resulting from it.
Check out this link for a lot of helpful info. :thumb:

Hey Exotic, I would ditch the Miracle Grow while you still can and get some seedling starter mix as suggested. People have managed to grow cannabis in MG soil before, but generally speaking it's a horrible soil for cannabis and there are a lot of burnt plants resulting from it.
Check out this link for a lot of helpful info. :thumb:

Hello! Where do you suggest I get the seedling starter mix? Since that one seed sprouted today, I had to purchase something to plant it in. As for the three seeds which have not sprouted ill make sure to stick those in the seedling starter mix :circle-of-love:

I dont know what stores you have access to. Most big box stores have potting soil. Plenty of other smaller general stores as well as, obviously, nurseries. Basically- you're looking for a potting soil which is not nutrient rich. The less nutrients the better. You can then add them yourself as needed.
If you have access to a nursery then you can ask for help- otherwise a little googling may be in order.

Cannabis seedlings require most no nutrients and rich soils contain too much for them. Miracle grow has the worst rep of any possible soil for cannabis.
FF Ocean forest also burns seedlings though it seems to work well enough for larger plants.

Once planted, I'd give 'em light. I'd leave the babies in their new home until they become root bound. They will be root bound when they need water every couple of days. At first, keep the soil damp. By the time you see true the first set of true leaves, the plant will have roots all the way to the bottom of the cup.

Once planted, I'd give 'em light. I'd leave the babies in their new home until they become root bound. They will be root bound when they need water every couple of days. At first, keep the soil damp. By the time you see true the first set of true leaves, the plant will have roots all the way to the bottom of the cup.

Okay I will make sure to set up the CFL on the seedling I planted last night, and will do the same for the other seeds that haven't germinated yet. Once they are root bound will I be able to safely transplant it into a 1 gallon pot? I was thinking I would add the Fox Farm soil at that point as I think their organic medium is a healthier alternative for them. :cheer:

For now, I need to find some seedling mix for the other ones so I can see which does better - MG VS SEEDLING MIX

Back
Top Bottom