Newbie (oldie actually) from AZ

pawnslinger

420 Member
Hi Everyone!

Like many folks, I guess, I am somewhat new to cannabis, because the state where I live just recently legalized Rec. My only previous experience with it was long ago, back in the 1970s when I would visit my sister, they would share a joint with me and we would watch football on TV with the sound turned down (and listen to Lynrd Skynrd). That was fun and my sister had lots of fun with her brother who never used marijuana before, or since, at least not until now.

Now that it became legal in AZ on 12/01/2020, when our governor certified our ballot initiative, I have planted my first seed (Northern Lights). it is almost ready for my 1st harvest. It is an auto-flower that has a reputation for being easy to grow. And takes about 3 months from seed to harvest. I am like a young man again, with a new toy that I just got for Christmas. Loads of fun and a big big learning experience.

While waiting for my harvest and subsequent drying/curing... I wanted to partake, so I visited a couple of local dispensaries. They are all stocked up with medical mj still, so most of what they have can't get anyone too high. And there is my problem. How to get a nice buzz on while waiting for my crop to come in... man oh man, you have to be a chemist or rocket scientist to buy good stuff from a medical mj dispensary... that hasn't had time to stock up with Rec oriented products (newly legal products, I might add).

So I need some advice.... I purchased a bottle of full spectrum THC glycerin tincture. By all, it looks and seems to be a quality product. My wife and I tried it last night, and nothing, I got the munchies, my wife got nothing. It tasted like it was raw cannabis. So I was suspicious that maybe it had not been decarbed. And yes, I am right. No decarb, so very little activated THC. Great for medical usage, I guess, but a strike out for Rec use.

Now the big question, can I decarb this product? I know how to decarb flower, but this is in a glycerin base. I can't figure out what will happen to the glycerin if heated to 240F for 30 minutes. I tried Googling around and couldn't find much information on that subject... what happens to glycerin if you heat it up like that??

Thanks for any tips you might have.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I will just try it and see what happens. In the future, I plan on using my own home grow to produce my own edibles and concentrates too. But just couldn't wait... ants in my pants, as my Mom used to say.
Careful, a quick Google search...
Glycerin is a flammable substance.
It must be thoroughly heated and must be very hot to catch on fire. ... Glycerin belongs to the reactivity groups of alcohols and polyols. It is a clear, amber or brown colored liquid that remains stable even under ignition conditions.

And "my" mom used to tell me to shut the F up :rofl:

Hi Everyone!

Like many folks, I guess, I am somewhat new to cannabis, because the state where I live just recently legalized Rec. My only previous experience with it was long ago, back in the 1970s when I would visit my sister, they would share a joint with me and we would watch football on TV with the sound turned down (and listen to Lynrd Skynrd). That was fun and my sister had lots of fun with her brother who never used marijuana before, or since, at least not until now.

Now that it became legal in AZ on 12/01/2020, when our governor certified our ballot initiative, I have planted my first seed (Northern Lights). it is almost ready for my 1st harvest. It is an auto-flower that has a reputation for being easy to grow. And takes about 3 months from seed to harvest. I am like a young man again, with a new toy that I just got for Christmas. Loads of fun and a big big learning experience.

While waiting for my harvest and subsequent drying/curing... I wanted to partake, so I visited a couple of local dispensaries. They are all stocked up with medical mj still, so most of what they have can't get anyone too high. And there is my problem. How to get a nice buzz on while waiting for my crop to come in... man oh man, you have to be a chemist or rocket scientist to buy good stuff from a medical mj dispensary... that hasn't had time to stock up with Rec oriented products (newly legal products, I might add).

So I need some advice.... I purchased a bottle of full spectrum THC glycerin tincture. By all, it looks and seems to be a quality product. My wife and I tried it last night, and nothing, I got the munchies, my wife got nothing. It tasted like it was raw cannabis. So I was suspicious that maybe it had not been decarbed. And yes, I am right. No decarb, so very little activated THC. Great for medical usage, I guess, but a strike out for Rec use.

Now the big question, can I decarb this product? I know how to decarb flower, but this is in a glycerin base. I can't figure out what will happen to the glycerin if heated to 240F for 30 minutes. I tried Googling around and couldn't find much information on that subject... what happens to glycerin if you heat it up like that??

Thanks for any tips you might have.
Hey there ... Welcome to 420 Mag. I'm in AZ. too. I figure the reason you felt something & your wife felt nothing is because you are both looking for a different type of high. You felt something because the product you bought had the Terpenes in it that effect you. Look up Terpene Profiles & it will list the Terpenes in marijuana & the effects of that Terpene. Then go to Leafly to find the weed strain that has the Terpenes you like & you will know what to buy at the dispensary. Terpene content is more important then THC content. A strain that's 17% THC & has the Terpenes you like will get you more buzzed then a strain with 25% THC & Terpenes you don't like. Terpenes 1st. THC content 2nd.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom