Newbie struggles with germination, Rapid Rooters, and the meaning of life.

bithead2

I think I have made a few mistakes with my first germination. I did read on the internet beforehand but I didn't feel like I found that awesome posting I was looking for before I started.

These are a week old. A lot of variance in them and I know I did far from perfect. I'm trying to not to beat myself up.

1. There was a heat wave, and no AC in the house, so it may have gotten too hot with the mat under the germination station. I corrected the issue as soon as I noticed it. No pad now.

2. The roots were exposed to light because of the width of the hole the seed was setting in. That has been corrected now by stuffing a little piece of Rapid Rooter into each hole.

3. I mist the plants a couple times a day, and the Rapid Rooters are usually moist. I really have no idea how or when to water though. The tray underneath has some water in it, but not sure if you really want it too full so it isn't for now.

The lighting is a CFL bulb and a plant flouro from Home Depot (18" long). So no real heat coming off the lights.

These look far from healthy. I'd welcome any tips. Thanks a lot, very much appreciated.

CJ

IMG_175313.jpg

IMG_175214.jpg

IMG_175011.jpg

IMG_174912.jpg

Hey and welcome here @ :420:

You don't need to mist the plants at all, as long as they stay under that humidity dome.
Just make sure the growing medium never dries out.
The bulb you are using looks like a warm bulb, you should be using a 6500K bulb at this stage. The distance from plants to bulb is way too far and thats why you are experiencing long wilting plants.
Move light closer, or get extra bulbs/higher wattage.

Happy growing!

At first, I too was concerned about the open hole in RR plugs but after careful observation I've determine that it poses no harm for the development of the seedling. In fact, on one seedling, just below the rim of the RR plug, there were many, many fine root hairs developing. They were directly exposed to the air and light and yet they continued to flourish. I also had roots coming out of the top of the plugs so I really wouldn't be too concerned about the open hole in RR plugs. BTW, you may want to lower your lights to keep the babies from stretching so much. They seem to have grown enough to handle more light and you probably should stop the misting, it is not necessary nor really desirable to mist now as it could cause them to dampen off from too much humidity.

Loos to me you got really good info. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the great tips! I ordered some 6500K lights. As a follow-up, can I ask how much light is enough? If I put 3 of the T8 15-Watt 6500K flouros on it, then how many additional 6500K should I add to that?

Thanks, CJ

When seedlings dont get enough light they stretch and become thin and skinny. You can put a CFl or fluorescent light very close. The soil looks a little dry, it should feel damp to the hand, if you water too much the base of the seed will rot - 'damping off'.
These are salvageable, they dont need mist or nutrients. Only feed when they have a few real leaves

When seedlings dont get enough light they stretch and become thin and skinny. You can put a CFl or fluorescent light very close. The soil looks a little dry, it should feel damp to the hand, if you water too much the base of the seed will rot - 'damping off'.
These are salvageable, they dont need mist or nutrients. Only feed when they have a few real leaves

Back
Top Bottom