Newer strains producing smaller buds?

bushyboy

I'm wondering if other growers are experiencing the same thing that I am. Some of these new strains (headband, OG crosses etc.) are producing smaller buds in the bag.

They look big enough while growing, but while manicuring, I notice that the tops of the buds have reverted to alternate growth. Usually the plants will start off in opposite growth, but then at a certain point they go into alternate growth and stay that way into the flowering stage. Normally the very top bud will go back to opposite growth as they get ready to really mature.

Lately I have noticed that they are staying in alternate growth all the way to the end, or almost to the end.
This means that while manicuring, it's much harder to get a good looking fat bud. If they are still in alternate growth, and you cut a bud, if there is no bud directly opposite to it, you get left with a little bit of stem showing. I never saw this in the good old days. Towards the top of the bud, they would be in opposite growth, so when you cut the bud, there is another bud directly opposite, with no stem showing. That's how we got huge buds, that didn't have that little bit of stem showing.

The bags I'm putting together are kind of ugly. If you keep cutting till that little bit of stem isn't showing, you naturally wind up with smaller buds.
Going back to the wild 80s, I never saw this happening. You could get huge donkey dick bud because the growth was in opposite growth farther down the stem, and when you make the final cut, there is a big bud with no excess stem showing.
Anyone else seeing this? I'm growing outdoors from seed, with natural sunlight and no supplementary lighting. It's making me kind of crazy, because in general, my buds are considerably smaller than they used to be.

That is an interesting question.

I think when you refer to huge donkey ding dong sized bud/colas that well may be related to a more sativa form of plants just a characteristic of them really, so it might depend on dominate genetic's ?

A very large amount of strains these days are hybrids with genetics ranging from parent linage of breeding which forms the new strain with variable traits for many reasons.

I've grown out a fair amount of hybrids by now & most form up more of a sawed-off donkey ding dong than a huge one i'm kind of thinking it is the indica genetics which do this, which in general have smaller colas.

Just a thought really & may need further looking at ?

Back
Top Bottom