Newly setup DWC hydro - Urgent Nutes Question

blueneon007

Hi,

I have a newly setup DWC hydro with four seedlings that have been transplanted into net pots (rockwool cubes and hydroton). Because these are still seedlings and freshly transplanted, I have "phased" the nutes in slowly during the first week using PH corrected water of course.

18L Solution:=
Using GH Flora Series

Day 1: 5ml Grow + 5ml Bloom
Day 2: 5ml Micro
Day 3: 5ml Micro + 10ml Bloom
Day 4: 5ml Micro + 10ml Bloom
Day 5: 10ml Bloom
Day 6: 5ml Micro + 5ml Bloom
Day 7: Nothing.

This equates to a total provided nutes phased in during week 1:
5ml Grow + 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom

The 5ml of Grow was added before I found the Lucas Formula (thus no more was added after that).

The 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom is the ratio (0-5-10, I'm using CFLs) required for 18L (roughly 4.5gal) solution as per Lucas Formula (which I will be using from here on).

The issue I currently have is that I do not own a TDS meter (have ordered one, but it will take a few weeks to arrive).

I am not sure if tomorrow (day 1 of week two) I should simply go ahead and add a full 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom per the Lucas Formula (once a week)...

Considering that 1. I phased in the first week (so nutes were still added as of yesterday) and 2. I don't have a TDS meter and so I have no clue what my PPM currently is and these are also newly transplanted seedlings (dont want to kill them).

Do I just go ahead and add the 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom tomorrow, do I rather give the plants a week off, or do I use less nute?

*sigh* confused as to how to proceed!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I test PH daily, currently its around 5.5 which is apparently fine.

Pictures would help. What did the roots look like before you transplanted them into hydroton? I also think you are using way too much nutes for a seedling. You should only be adding the nutes once a week then increase depending on how much your plant is growing. The plant will tell you if she is hungry, but a TDS meter is a must have for hydro.

I would use 10 ml per 5 gallons of water of each grow, micro, bloom for the first week or two.

Amazon has a reliable TDS meter for under $20 - HM Digital TDS-EZ Meter/Tester, Water/ppm/Purity/Filter

1667285207977.png

Check out GH Calculator at GENERAL HYDROPONICS

Pictures would help. What did the roots look like before you transplanted them into hydroton? I also think you are using way too much nutes for a seedling. You should only be adding the nutes once a week then increase depending on how much your plant is growing. The plant will tell you if she is hungry, but a TDS meter is a must have for hydro.

I would use 10 ml per 5 gallons of water of each grow, micro, bloom for the first week or two.

Amazon has a reliable TDS meter for under $20 - HM Digital TDS-EZ Meter/Tester, Water/ppm/Purity/Filter

Check out GH Calculator at GENERAL HYDROPONICS

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

According to the very popular and very successful Lucas Formula for hydro grows of cannabis, the ratio under CFL lighting should be 0-5-10 (G-M-B). This formula was designed to be used with GH Flora Series and specifically for ease of use with cannabis. It is said that seedlings/clones should receive half dose for the first week and then moved to the standard Lucas Formula.

My seedlings are actually 2 weeks old and thus the reason I opted to phase in the nutes during the first week, ie. to give small amounts each day until the normal dosage amount was reached by the end of the week with one day to spare.

I found that even using the above the seedlings showed signs of P deficiency and so I have simply given them the full dose (yesterday) per the Lucas Formula. So far, so good. They have perked up a bit and show no detrimental effects.

Now I will continue feeding once a week with the 0-5-10 (which actually equates to a nice even 20-20-20 NPK).

As for over feeding ... not sure I agree with you. Sure if you go with the GH calc on "normal" mode it would seem that I am over feeding. But on agressive mode that calc is closer in line with the Lucas Formla. Bear in mind the GH calc is designed for general plants in hydro. Lucas has made his formula in line with years of experience with the cannabis plant and he found this ratio to work best.

Of course there will always be room for tweaking and changes based on strains, but as a "easy to follow noob nute schedule" it is apparently the best. What's also nice with this formula is that if your water conditions are kept in good shape you can essentially get away without dumping the res and restocking. Simply keep the once a week feed going and top up with PH corrected water.

On the TDS .. like I mentioned I have ordered one, and waiting eagerly.

Not sure why you were posting for immediate help if you already had your answers.

I have researched the Lucas formula and found that the plants usually show some type of deficiency. I think of the Lucas formula as a bare minimum on a budget feeding schedule.

Good luck with your grow.

Not sure why you were posting for immediate help if you already had your answers.

I have researched the Lucas formula and found that the plants usually show some type of deficiency. I think of the Lucas formula as a bare minimum on a budget feeding schedule.

Good luck with your grow.

Thanks again for the reply.

Well my question was in relation to the fact that I had phased in the nutes to a full ratio by the end of the week, whereas normally one would just start with 50% nute for the first week and then go to full strength... so I was'nt sure if I should go full strength or not since I technically stuffed it up by phasing in a "full" dose in week one.

In the end I opted to go ahead anyway and give them a full dose... and they are loving it :)

This is my first hydro grow so I'm a bit paranoid haha (or that could just be the weed :p) Want everything to be as perfect as can be. Just soooo peeved off that I'm still waiting on my damn TDS meter, GRRR.

P.S. I see you are going hydro soon too :) Good luck mate!

I am currently growing in recirculating DWC buckets. I will be expanding into an under current set up soon. I have pictures posted in my gallery if you want to see my plants. I also have a thread posted under the hydroponics section with current pictures. I didn't want to start my next grow journal until my under current set up was completed. I think you will get more feedback if you start a grow journal though :peace:

Back
Top Bottom