Newly sprouted seeds

Canecutter

420 Member
So i sprouted my seeds in a paper towel, the tap root was the recommended 3/4 in long. I then planted the sprouts in their final home which is a mix of organic soil , coco, and pearlite. I gently covered them up after planting with the seed just below surface and watered them in lightly. They recieve plenty of sun everyday. Its been 2 days and they still have not broke soil, should i be worried? Why havent they broke soil yet?

Start with most obvious phototropism or which way is up. Did you plant tail up or helmet head up? Beyond that they could have sank with the watering or the soil could be too hot. Most here use light seedling starter mix for new beans or sprouts. You could do toothpick surgery and gently remove soil. Some sprouts will do a j root or to say it another way they get confused and try to grow roots up and helmet head down which isn’t good. Also if this is in a container it may help to do a cfl bulb about 2 inches above the bucket but if it’s planted in the outside that may not be possible. Yes you can grow from seed outdoors but most here start indoors, get her stabile and then later do a hardening off process of gradual exposure to the sun.

my 2 cents, hopefully more will jump in soon

Start with most obvious phototropism or which way is up. Did you plant tail up or helmet head up? Beyond that they could have sank with the watering or the soil could be too hot. Most here use light seedling starter mix for new beans or sprouts. You could do toothpick surgery and gently remove soil. Some sprouts will do a j root or to say it another way they get confused and try to grow roots up and helmet head down which isn’t good. Also if this is in a container it may help to do a cfl bulb about 2 inches above the bucket but if it’s planted in the outside that may not be possible. Yes you can grow from seed outdoors but most here start indoors, get her stabile and then later do a hardening off process of gradual exposure to the sun.

my 2 cents, hopefully more will jump in soon
I planted taproot down with the seed head up. I only planted about the first finger joint deep just havent seen any green break soil. It just now has been 2 days.

Without any heat added they take their time.

I soak my beans in water/h2o2 mix until there's a tail then into a peat pellet and under a dome with a heat mat under. They pop up pretty quick with some heat added.

Then once above soil and cotyledons the peat pellet and plant go into a solo cup with used soil.

Back
Top Bottom