NFL Announces Shaun Ellis Suspension

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
When reports emerged last week that Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis will be suspended for one game due to a 2008 arrest for marijuana possession, coach Rex Ryan opted to think happy thoughts.

"I plan on Shaun being there the first game," Ryan said at the time. "Until they flat tell me that 'No he is not playing this game,' we are going on as business as usual. We expect him to be in there."

They've now told Ryan that Ellis won't be playing in the game.

The team has circulated an announcement from the league that Ellis has been suspended for the regular-season opener, due to the violation of the Substances of Abuse Policy arising from the pot arrest.

Ellis also will be fined an additional $100,000, which reflects an apparent increase in the consequences for that specific behavior. Previously, the going rate had been simply a one-game suspension.

Ellis will be required to leave the team as of Saturday, September 5. He'll be permitted to rejoin the Jets on Monday, September 14.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: profootballtalk.nbcsports.com
Author: Mike Florio
Copyright: 2009 NBC
Website: NFL announces Shaun Ellis suspension | ProFootballTalk.com

Substance abuse?
Was he beating the weed up first before he smoked? Was he making the weed fight against other weed with the loser being smoked, or should it be the winner that is smoked?

Ellis also will be fined an additional $100,000

is it just me or does that seem a little steep for smokin some weed?
hell, its no secret, those guys eat and inject painkillers like theres no tomorrow, even a famous X-packer admitted to being seriously addicted to painkillers and sought treatment to get off the stuff, guess thats ok with the NFL though ... :peace:

side note: go colts!

I think it is extreme too... 1 game and $100 grand....while Donte Stallworth gets 16 games for DUI causing vehicular manslaughter.

Are you fricken kidding me? What is wrong with these NFL board members? Maybe they need to take a hit and get there heads out of there asses. There just trying to make a martyr out of him, obviously. Im tired of people getting insane punishments for taking "a hit" or smoking a "little pot". When will they stop punishing people for what they do to there own body. Its not like hes taking steroids which could actually influence the game, if anything you would think it could hurt his game (if he smoked too much right before the game, maybe) Its not like he has an unfair advantage because he smoked TWO WEEKS BEFORE ANY GAME. Why punish him now? Its over, let it go already! No one even cares! It reminds me of the snowboarder who got his gold medal taken away a few years ago. In my opinion he should have gotten TWO golds for not only winning but doing it stoned? Damn! Now thats talent!

Back
Top Bottom