Nibec's Single Plant CFL Kalashnikova SCROG

nibec

Kalashnikova - made up of half and half, White widow, and AK47

This is day 54 of veg, i am ashamed to say

Current conditions, are 364 watts of CFL. (14 - 26 watt bulbs) in a 3x1.5x3 cabinet, w/ a 180cfm bathroom fan as my exhaust.

The temps in the cab range from 70F at night, to 77F durring they peak day.

I have a low RH of 35-40%, and eventually, will probably get a humidifier going.

PH, i let hover over a 5.5-6.0 range, it wanders out of that range now and then, but for the most part is kept pretty tight.

Current PPM is 450 of advanced nutrients 3 part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, as a few people know, i have been having my first hand at DWC, and now that things are starting to look up a little,and i know shes going to survive her brutal journey to this point, i figured i would get the journal going.

First things first. I experienced on my first DWC, what i hope no one ever has to experience ever. Period.

This issue, Slime. many DWC growers have seen it, many have cured it, many have lost crops to it. Here is my story.

Day 15 after germination. Things are looking good.... right?
day_155.jpg

day_15_21.jpg

wrong...

being a soil person myself.. didnt think too much of it at the time... but see the roots there? that little bit of slimy gunk on the very bottom (sorry for the shotty quality) That was about to be the start of a complete nightmare.

soon after shooting those pics, by plant started to show defiencies, stress, etc. and why? i didnt really know. Over the next few days... i noticed that slime progress, and jumped into my favorite search engine, and started to worry. So i got ahold of a good friend, who confirmed, i needed to act fast.

I started spraying the roots with h202, bleached all my DWC equipment, added high doses of h202 into my res, (1-2ml 30% h202 per liter of water) to no success, while it slowed it down, and it started to die down slightly... it made a full, fast, and aggressive come back, a couple weeks later... I tried the same process over again, to find no luck
slime1.jpg

slime_2.jpg

(sorry no pics of roots at this point... not much to show anyways apart from a ball of goo)

It was around this time, i found a post regaurding "bennies" or simply, a tea made of beneficial bacteria, and fungi. I figured i might as well try it, as im losing my battle anyways... So, finding all my roots coming off the netpot were dead.. and no new growth showing anyways. I chopped off all the roots, and pulled as much dead roots/goo as i could out of the netpot with some tweezers, and started brewing the tea. (This is now 19 days after the slime hit, and i'v seen next to no growth.. and have only been loosing roots. Not to mention the plant turning lime, and dying)

tea.jpg

48 hours of freaking out later, the tea was ready to be introduced to my system.

i pulled apart the whole system once again, ran h202 threw the netpot, bleached everything else, and put it all back together.

then i added the reccomended 1 cup of tea to each gallon.. and closed the doors once again.

I came back the next day, checked the roots.. nothing new... that got me excieted, normally by now... i would see the slime already starting to build up on the pot.

3 days later... i see a couple shoots!
starting_again.jpg

Still a little dead material in there, and some new brown slime... but its not the slime that i was used to... this slime, is the tea itself. This slime, thankfully, doesnt attack roots, and doesnt grow, its simply solids from the tea, sticking and gathering to spots. rinses off easy with a light mist of water.

another 4 days later
starting_root.jpg

now im feeling better.. shes starting fresh, free of slime! yahoo!

and finally 3 more days later
new_roots.jpg

recent.jpg

i assure you, shes not really that light colored, it was the 6500k wall of light + my flash that makes it apear that way. She also has some funky growing tops, because right before the slime set in.. i topped her.. (great eh?.. why not create some more stress!)

anyways, in a week or two, when she has a nice root system going again, ill add up a few more pics, and give an update. probably be starting training her into my screen by then too.

im out for now! have a good one!:peace:

That sounds like a pretty good way to do DWC. :thumb:

I'm gonna half to give it a try.

Waht all did you use to make the tea?

I'm gonna be sitting in for this one for sure! :popcorn:

:nicethread:

Hey OMU, To make the tea...

Worm castings... just the raw unbuffered cheap ones
zho powder - (or anything that contains myco fungi)
aquashield (or anything containing bacillus bacteria)
blackstrap molasses (im sure any other molasses would work just as well)

i make a gallon at a time, so i put a handfull of worm castings in a sock and drop it into a bucket with a gallon of water
drop 10 ml aquashield in it
add about 1/8th of a scoop (comes with a scooper) of the zho powder
then add half a tablespoon of molasses and mix er up real good.

add an airstone at the bottom, (or in my case, a fountain pump... just trying to keep it aerated) and let it brew for 48 hours... after 48 hours, take the sock out, and throw the tea in the fridge... keeps for around 10 days... youll know when it goes bad by the stench it will produce.

then in my case i was fighting slime.. so i added 1 cup per gallon, but, if you dont have slime, just run it at 1 cup per 10 gallons. every 3 days

turns your water into a yellow urine like color, but hot damn does it work good!

i give credit for the tea to "heisenberg" hes a life saver to many. he has a 200 page thread on this topic that he stays up to date on on a different part of the net..

going to be doing a new batch of it up here tonight so it can be ready for my first(and last till flower) res change in a month on sunday :p

Thanks for that!

ctrl c, ctrl p, copy lpt1: enter ;)

I'm inspired here and an organic gardener has told me that this plan will probably work for my ailing hash plants in Pro-Mix.

I'm gonna water them with dugout water and blackstrap molasses.I have a liter of Crude Blackstrap Cane molasses , unsulphured. Should be just the ticket for this.

He says I should have all the bennies and fungi that I would get from what you'r doing as the water is full of all that stuff. Ther's lots of frogs and little fish living in there and the whole thing is surrounded by bulrushes.

We use it in the house for washing etc but buy RO water for drinking. A bit smelly so there must be good shit in there! lol

I won't have all the nutes that you get from the worm castings tho. We have chickens so we have chicken shit as well and with some fish fertilizer added I should be able to switch these over from hydro nutes to an organic way of growing.

I was going to start a worm farm last summer but wasn't much inspired and they all died. Things have changed a bit tho.

Got lots of room in my heated shop to raise worms all year 'round and tons of compost to start growing organic in and outdoors.

We're starting a bird business as a hobby so we can write off a lot of stuff. Chickens, pheasants, peacocks etc to harvest feathers for the fly tying crowd. Even if we make no money the wife gets to go nuts with her hobby and it's all a write-off.

Maybe it will make money and I can stop driving truck to pay the bills!

The girls will need a good watering in a couple of days so I'll try a gallon with a couple of Tbsps of molasses and see what happens. At this point there isn't much else to do

Worth a shot I guess as the new growth is coming in half-assed and the rest of the plants still look like crap. I was going to flip them and see how much scraggly bud I could salvage off them but I'll try this first.

You just never know eh!

:peacetwo:

as its been explained to me.. simple worm castings + molasses could work on keeping root diseases away, as it destroys the enviroment and leaves no food sources/livable areas for the bad stuff.

however when you have to fight the slime/diseases in a res/bucket whatever, that is already infected with it. you need the diverse colony of the worm castings, but you also need in specific bacillus bacteria, and myco fungi added in there, as they will attack the slime itself, instead of just blocking out its enviroment

the reason it is brewed as a tea for 48 hours, is at 48 hours, all of the microbes should be awake, and ready to kick ass at their peak of life.

You then take the castings out, and throw it in the fridge, this puts all the activity on hold. (kind of like putting a wasp in the freezer..:p) haha.

if you let the tea go longer than 48 hours, it starts to drop down from its peak, and isnt as effective, (same as if you dont let it brew long enough)

lastly, if you just add the microbes straight into the medium without brewing it, the diseases may kill it, and take over before the bennies have a chance to even wake up and start fighting.

this is why you should NEVER add molasses, or any kind of enzymes directly to a res, in hoping to feed good bacteria to kill the slime... the bad stuff has a huge head start.. and will feed off it before the bennies have a chance to. causing an explosion of slime.. (this wont happen if you have no slime to start with... but i would never risk it.. brewing it all with some bennifical bacterias, and waiting 48 hours before being able to use it, is a pretty small price to pay in my eyes for piece of mind.

so OMU, as long as you dont have any pythium or anything in your buckets, and your roots are not horribly rotting. i think what you have planned should work great.

even if there is a slight infection i can see the tea helping you out a lot. it will at least hold back, and should slowly kill off any diseases (probably slower than if you added those 2 specific ingredients... but i could still see it worki ng) as the bad stuff wont have anywhere to spread to, or eventually feed from.

anyways... as a price breakdown for the tea...

aquashield $16 for a liter (good for 100 gallons of tea)
zho powder $12 (also good for 100 gallons of tea)
Worm castings $20 for a bag big enough to last about 100 gallons of tea as well

so... now that i defeated the slime, and use the tea as just a preventative.. i use about 250ML every 7 days in my 5 gall res.. which is twice the needed amount (but i like to play safe)

so that works out to... 13 liters per year..and with 379 liters in 100 gallons..

works out to about 29 years of running a 5 gall bucket at twice the needed dose... for just under $50 worth of material...

thats a huge win in my eyes.

if thrown in the fridge it keeps well for about 10 days without oxygen.. a little longer if you shake it up to disolve a little air in it a couple times a day.

anything past 10 days though, i would just throw out as its getting pretty old.

this tea is quite possibly the best thing i have come across in my years. wish i discovered it years and years ago when i was in soil...
i never went organic, and figured organic had no place in chemical ferts... but after seeing first hand what some organic things can do..

i mean.. i'd never go full organic in a dwc(way too much work/hassel for my likings... plus... i'v never seen a solid benefit over organic soil vs organic dwc), but, as far as a "miracle - cures almost everything - foliar, soil, hydro, etc - simple - cheap" solution. i would recommend everyone use it.

its just too bad you cant freeze it... or i would brew 5 gallons at a time and keep it in 1 L water bottles in my deep freeze lol

its starting to be, lol. finally. just bumped her ppm to 500 yesterday, changed the date of my res change from sunday (today) to monday... maybe..

might let things go a little longer.

growth is looking pretty damn good the past few days.

going to add more pics on thursday, so i can show a one week difference in root zone growth, and veg growth.

well, going to do a res change today.. so, figured id give a shot of the roots

this is root shot is 5 days after the one in my first post.

PS: the brown mess on parts of the roots, is just stray littel chunks of the floaties in my tea (from not fully straining), and in no way acutally harm her..

roots_-_apr.jpg

yep, so just finished my res change/clean. First one since i started on the tea. so, probably coming close to a month.

looooads of dead slime, and filth, but guess what!

no slime on the walls or anything to worry about! woo!

i sprayed my roots with a mister to get the brown off them as well.. and with a fresh batch of water, nutes, tea, and no crud, i think shes going to take off like a rocket :)

ill watch closely for the next few days to see if anything starts up in my res again, if it does, im going to do a complete dump, and sterilize ( didnt sterilize this time, due to how damn well that tea works!.. but never know :)) and start again with fresh.. but i suspect, all will be fine from here on in :)

shes currently sitting in 5.3ph, 550ppm water. ph is a little low, but, over the next few days i should see it walk up into and past the optimum range.. which is how i roll :p ill knock it back down once it hits 6.1.

growth up top isnt much to brag about yet, but seeing how fast she's throwing roots out.. i can see why. Plus, she needs a good root ball before she can start playing with her leaves anyways.. so i forgive her. There is however about 2 more nodes per branch over the past week.. so, shes still with me :)

roots should get a bit whiter now too, now that im not running such high levels of tea.

ill be doing an overall update on the weekend :p cant wait to turn this girl into a 3x1.5 scrog. she's gonna be a monster :p

today is the happiest she's looked since being a seedling! lol. i can still see where she's been damaged from not having any roots (was at one point the top of the plant) around midway up.. those leaves will never fully come back.. but they are alive enough for me to keep them...

ill give her a chance to eat them for nutes one day before i chop them :)

the rest of the leaves, that were all blotchy, yellowing, lime colored, purple edges, etc, have all recovered now, and are looking nice and healthy, and perky :)

of all the times i'v abused plants... this is the by far the only one that got as bad as she did, and has lived to tell the story!, this tea... is... amazing. i will never get over it :p

Nice man, glad you got the roots out.

I really like all the explanation that goes into your journal. You document the problem and how you solved or are trying to solve it. Great work on nursing the Kalashnikova back to health, I'm enjoying reading along.

Can't wait for the next update and batch of pictures man.

thanks man! glad people are interested, and hopefully everyone can learn something from my problems. it'll get better! i promise! lol. shes going to be a monster, hoping to pull roughly a quarter pound off the single plant, under CFL's.

i made it ratio wise with 8 bulbs... got 63 grams... so.. running 14 bulbs, and a bigger screen, plus the hydro advantage, im hoping for 112 grams on the dot :) . i figure if i do my best, its doable

so, i just put in some new airstones, and put a new kit into my air pump.. seems to have doubled my bubbles, didnt realize how weak my pump/stones were getting.

but ran into a new problem.. .*sigh* my exhaust fan died today.

lucky for me, it crapped out and died while i was replacing my stones, so, i was there when it happened and i didnt cook my plant.

looking into a proper vent system, instead of my jimmy rigged squirrel cage.

probably going to get a 4" inline fan, with a proper carbon scrubber. and build a sound isulated box for the fan to keep it stealth. similar to my current setup... but inline instead of squirrel.

anyone have any suggestions on a quiet 4" inline? cause i have a "stealth" 6" 435cfm inline fan ... thing sounds like a jet engine.

for the time being, the stealth aspect, is gone. have to keep the door open.. and let the circulation fan blow the hot air out ... so.. shes fully exposed. lol

at least i know my exhaust WAS working very well.. casue with the front doors open, and a 8" oscilating fan blowing full bore , the cab is staying the same temp (3-5 degree difference from room temp), as when my exhaist fan was in there.. so at least i know the 160cfm was a perfect match

little update.
here is the roots, 9 days apart from each other.
new_roots.jpg

roots_7.jpg

they are darker than i want, however, i have a feeling its the tea, as the water, is the same color as the roots... so they're probably just stained.

and the plant.
recent.jpg

bad_lighting.jpg

again the lighting coming fromt he cab/flash is making the leaves look non uniform, but, i assure you they are, :p

its grown about 3 inches taller , (hard to see in the pic) and the leaves farther down, that look "sick" are the old damaged ones from when it had no roots.. they are still alive enough for me to leave them however. at least for now.

clipped a bunch of leaves today, that were finally ending their life. and the last of the droopiness is finally gone, and shes now growing about an inch, to 2 inches daily! back on track my friends!

i better build my screen... been putting it off for too long! lol.

just debating if im going to do a full 3x 1.5 screen, or of im going to shorten it down a little and go 2.5x1.5

ahhhh screw it, bigger is better!

Back
Top Bottom