Nicky's Garden: Perpetual Grow Journal

nickeluring

In this journal I'll log my ongoing grows. I usually grow in coco, but occasionally I also grow in soil. I'll kick off this journal with 2 plants growing outdoors in soil, a photo and an auto - Zamnesia banana and Dark Devil Auto.

Zamnesia - Banana
This girl is growing in a mix of soil, perlite, and mixed in slow release nutrients. These nutrients are supposed to last from seed to harvest, and I'm very curious as how this will work. She grows in an 11 liter fabric pot. The reason for using this strain, soil, that pot and the nute mix is because this is a competition grow for Zamnesia Spring Cup, and I have to use the stuff provided by them. I'm not too optimistic since I had a very late start, but it should be a fun grow for sure. We'll see how much she'll grow before she switches.

She's 17 days today. Yesterday I removed growth from 1st and 2nd nodes in preparation for the quadlining. She'll be ready to be chopped at the 4th node by tomorrow I think.

Sweet Seeds - Dark devil Auto
This girl sprouted this morning. She got the exact same setup as her sister. I'll just be doing soil this summer - for as little maintenance as possible. I want to be able to leave them for a couple of days if needed.

I helped her to remove the seed husk this morning, so she can open up during the day.

Banana was big enough to get topped today. Nodes 1 and 2 are already removed, and nodes 3 and 4 will now form the quadline base. I'll train the branches outwards when they've grown a bit bigger.

Before the chop

And after the chop

The top

Cheers, @Stunger . I'm very curious too as how this soil with slow release nutrients will work. I can't believe how little work it is compared to growing in coco. I only give them a few additives now and don't bother with the pH. I think I'm at around a pH of 7.

Yes, and she grows super slowly. I think I've cooked her. We're having some pretty warm weather at around 30 degrees C, and she's been left in the hot sun. I'll dig her up and put her in a smaller pot, and I'll stop showing her love. I don't have any more of that slow release nutes, so I don't know if she'll get fed at all...

Two days ago a started to germinate Dark Devil #2 to replace the first one. She'll get the good pot with the preloaded nutes. She seems eager enough to start growing. I'll put her in the first Dark Devil's pot tonight after I've dug her up.

Banana is doing well and the two lower shoots were big enough to start training today. I put some clips on them. The upper shoots should be ready to be bent tomorrow.

What are those plastic circles? Are those made for plants? Looks like something my kids would use on earbuds. They look odd.

Instead of mess with lower branches, I like to bend the main stem over at this point. Make the tops turn back up. And kinda puts all the nodes on the same height.

They're Bends, for training plants. One of my favourite tools for training.

I much prefer the stronger structure and the symmetrical shape I get from quadlining instead of just using LST.

I dont just lst and strength has never been a problem. When i "figured it out" there wasnt as much widespread info. If it wasnt in ed rosenthals book I didnt know. So my thing is kinda my thing.
Ive never seen anyone train like me. I also always did it with the intent to keep stuff short and wide.

Id stick em on the main stem for a few days. Then tie it down and take em off.

Absolutely, but no need to remove them in a hurry.
I also use them in flowering when supercropping taller colas to even out the height of the colas

It depends how fast the stem thickens. They look kinda narrow. I wouldnt wanna leave them on too long or you risk them getting grown over.

They expand, but I agree that they shouldn't be kept too long.

Back
Top Bottom