Nicotine vs Cannabis

so glad to know that most of you are still non smokers at this point...
that was what i really wanted for christmas, and i got it, thanks guys!
almost 3 years and going strong for me, after 25 years of smoking cigs...

ALL YA NEED IS WEED!...;)

I know this is a later thread and I am kinda just chiming in. But i wish you luck and i hope the best works out for you. Tobacco addiction is terrible. I have seen way to many people clutched by this. I hope that you kick this. Keep up with the best.

The smell of cig. smoke makes me want to vomit, so I've never been interested in them thank goodness.

I suppose the blunts that I smoke do enough damage.

I've had to look this thread up for some friends lately, so thought I would bump it to see if it can help anyone else who is trying or needs to quit.

How is everyone doing who quit in this thread?
:surf:

<BUMP!>

i smoked cigarettes for almost 25 years and finally quit for good 2 years ago...

Congratulations!

And thank you for bringing this thread to my attention.

420 said:
did you know that cigarettes contain trace amounts of radio active particles?

Unfortunately, so do many bags of cannabis due to the types of fertilizer used (generally some of - but of course not all of - the "organic" ones, because the processes of removing that and other poisons/undesirables from fertilizer tends to disqualify them from being certified as organic in the first place). But this is neither the time nor the thread to discuss such matters. Although I will state that due to the way that the human body works, such things affect the body in a much more harmful fashion when they are ingested by smoking - as opposed to eating.

420 said:
i quit cold turkey, i think that's the best way to go, instead of using man made drugs...

I would agree with you there. I have tried nicotine-containing lozanges, patches, and gum and I have (as much as I hated to) tried drugs such as chantix, zyban and other "dopamine reuptake inhibitors," and various other ones including but not limited to xanax, valium, and klonopin alone and in combination. None of them seemed to do the trick - and in the case of the things that contained nicotine (such as the patch) that were supposed to help a person separate the physical process of smoking from the actual nicotine addiction, I almost immediately found myself smoking while using them! This of course caused me to experience headaches, insomnia, depression, anxiety and panic attacks - all of which I suffer from anyway - along with some rather frightening physical symptoms and rather extreme nightmares. I do not doubt that I am lucky that I did not also suffer from a heart attack and death.

420 said:
the thing that got me through was smoking weed every time i wanted a cig...
the only downside is that you remain lethargic, smoking a LOT all day and night...
don't plan anything stressful or public for at least 2 weeks, then you will be detoxed...
every time you become irritated, follow these steps to save lives...
go to your safe place in your mind and count to ten slowly while taking deep breaths...
then smoke more weed...;)

Unfortunately, I have no herb, lol. I can definitely see where that would be of GREAT benefit.

Actually, cannabis in a way both caused me to see how very addicted to nicotine that I was (AM) and how much I wanted to quit. You might find it somewhat humorous (in a morbid kind of way), but I assure you that it actually happened more-or-less exactly as follows: Not long ago I found myself out of both cigarettes and cannabis. I was also ill, it was raining cats, dogs, and schoolhouses, and my car was broken down (as seems to be its natural state in the universe). Everyone I know is poor - and out of cannabis - right now.

A friend happened to be gifted a small amount of really outstanding cannabis when he took his boy back to college and ended up helping his son's roommate unload his truck. My friend saved it and as soon as he got back in town he stopped at my house to share it with me (he is a really good friend, lol). So he walks in and said, "This is some kind of white widow cross and it left me drooling. For the first time ever, I can say that I smoked too much - I drove a couple of blocks from their apartment and actually had to pull off the road and chill for a while before I felt safe to drive. Are you ready to burn one?"

My response? "I need a cigarette!"

So he said, "Sure, no problem, lets smoke a bowl and I'll give you a cigarette and then we'll chill for a while and I'll drive you to the store so you don't have to walk in this mess."

"F*ck the weed, just give me a cigarette. There are none in the house, none of my neighbors are home, and I haven't had a cigarette in TWO HOURS!"

He gave me a Winston light (whatever they're calling the "lights" now). I ripped the filter off and had half of it smoked before he had the bowl packed. I put the cigarette out and he lit the bowl. Before he even had a chance to pass it to me, I had re-lit the cigarette. He hands me the bowl and I continue smoking the cigarette. He finishes coughing - I still had not taken a hit - and asks, "Are you going to hit that?" I finished the cigarette and hit the bowl.

I passed it back to him, he took a hit, and handed it back to me. I expelled my hit, coughed a bit, looked at the bowl, and asked, "Uhh, can I have another cigarette?"

"But you just SMOKED one!"

"Yeah, but it's not a Kool and... I don't know... Can I have another one?" (Those of you who smoke menthols - and perhaps the strongest ones on the market at that - probably understand; it's not just the nicotine that you're addicted to.)

"Man, you make ME feel like quitting. Come on stupid, lets go to the store."

Later, of course, I had calmed down enough to enjoy the rest of the bowl. But it left me realizing just how bad my addiction was - And still is.

Cigarettes SUCK. Who wants to taste an ashtray when they kiss their loved one? Who in their right mind wants their breath, their hair, their skin, clothes, and home to smell like one? When I was a kid and got caught smoking, I got my ass beat. When I got caught in school, I got punished (and at the time, the school had a "smoking pit" - but it was probably 100 yards away from where I was at and I didn't need a cigarette in 60 seconds, I needed one NOW). My ex-wife quit soon after we were married and used to b*tch at me regularly to quit. Several girlfriends have asked me to quit. My current GF - who I love more than anyone or anything else and would kill or die for without stopping to think about it has begged me to quit - and at one point actually CRIED over it, telling me that she didn't want to face a future in which I was not around because I'd gotten sick and died. And... I had to watch my father waste away from cancer in his lymph-nodes, his lungs, and bone cancer. At some point I realized that if he had said that he wanted me to bring a gun to the hospital and shoot him, I would have in order to spare him the pain that he was going through. (But he didn't; he lasted months and MONTHS after his doctor explained to us that he needed to put his affairs in order and that he might last a couple of weeks. All because he loved Mom and knew what losing him would do to her. He even denied himself the morphine (et cetera) because the doctor explained to him that it would further depress what little lung-function he had remaining and would almost certainly kill him within days. But... He was strong in ways that I know I'll never be.)

And still I continued to smoke.

Somewhere along the way I realized that all the drugs, crutches, and aids in the world are useless by themselves. A person has to... It's not a question of WANTING to quit (what person who has smoked for any length of time doesn't want to quit?) or even of willpower. There has to be something (inside us all) that not everyone knows how to draw upon. I only hope that I have it. And can succeed in bringing it forth.

I am, to be honest with you, a mess - physically, mentally, and emotionally. There are things going on in my life right now that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - and as far as those things in particular are concerned, it's not a question of having to get worse before they get better; it's a question of whether they will get better at all.

In short, if I could pick a time in my life when to fight this fight, it would be ANY time other than the present. But I realize that... In this semi-anonymous forum, most of you don't know my age (or much else about me). But I will tell you that I am at that crossroads between the time that a man is still reasonably young and the time when he is old. And I understand that even if I quit right now, there is the chance that I could still die a horrible death from smoking. Be that as it may, I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I do not quit - and quit soon - I will come to such an end.

So I sit here, typing this post. From the average length of my posts, y'all have probably guessed that I type rather quickly. I think that I have been trying to type this post for over an HOUR. I can't type right now - I can barely think. If I get three words out without having to stop and correct my mistakes I'm lucky. I have to constantly stop myself from breaking down and going after a pack of Kools. I am trying to quit. It is... not the easiest thing I have ever attempted, lol. The few real friends that I have "in the real world" seem to be more than halfway afraid to come near me right now for some reason. Earlier this evening I found myself yelling at my cat (for meowing for attention) - and I have only raised my voice in anger maybe two times in the last nine years aside from the few occasions when I was being... attacked.

But... I'm trying. I hope to succeed. I may not - but I hope to. If I do, I will NEVER pick up another cigarette. If I do not, I will continue to try until I manage to quit - or until I die from smoking. The pain, frustration and... From trying to quit is NOTHING compared to the pain that I will eventually go through if I do not. And I can say from experience that it is also nothing compared to what my loved ones will have to endure if I put them through watching me die that horrible death.

I am trying to quit smoking.

Would anyone like to try with me? It just might be the hardest thing that you ever do. It will be one of the most important ones.

Whether or not you decide to make the attempt, lol, if you know some mouthy, crazy, smarter-than-his-own-good pain in the ass, stop by and smoke a bowl with him. Who knows, it could be me.:grinjoint:

Thank you all for letting me rant. I cannot afford therapy, lol.

I have been smoking Camel Non filters for about 30 years... wow, has it been that long :rollingeyes:
Quiting has been on my mind a bit lately, I may give it a go sometime this Winter. I'm glad to have found this thread, it will be a help should I go ahead w/an effort.

I quit one time but that only lasted about 1.5 months. The one thing that I have against me is that I don't do well in long term temptations like that; I know people who have quit and years later they still feel like they want to smoke a cig...
On the other hand, I have never tried to quit and used MJ to help w/the jonses.. should be a huge help if I can keep from constantly smoking myself into a stupor... LOL

Gratz to all of you who have quit... you are an encouragement to me!

Thank you for the reminder. I started again no f'n excuse and now it seems like I'm smoking more. I feel the sicknesss in my body from it. Between the constant chem trail spraying almost daily now over so cal it's hard to stay well. Just got out of the hospitall again for my stomach. Doc says smoke is killing me. I need to quit again

I smoked for a couple years but never really liked it so it wasn't hard to quit. What I was addicted to was the chew, Copenhagen to be specific. That was cured unexpectedly by cannabis. Couldn't believe it, just stopped craving it.

When I've quit in the past, what I've discovered for me is that I needed to replace that rush with something harmless. So when that craving and anxiety kicked in, I tried things like eating very spicy food like kung pao chicken or a hot Thai noodle dish or pizza with tons of crushed red pepper. I have also been known to carry a jalapeno pepper around to chomp on when I had a craving. The heat releases chemicals in your brain, endorphins maybe, don't remember but it does give you a rush and the sweats and pleasure. I also used to try to kill myself with exercise to fight off the cravings. The concept is deal with the pain by putting yourself in worse pain.

Anyway, we all know that the first couple weeks after quitting is tough. But if you get through them and supplement it with an exercise regime, just walking even, it helps the transition.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Big Gratz to all who have quit and to those trying.

I had a couple of cigs in high school to just try but less than a whole pack in 4 years.

I started smoking at 17 when I joined the USAF. In tech school formation before classes if you didn't smoke you got to stand at parade rest up front, if you did smoke you got to stand at ease in the back and chat at the butt - bucket. I did 2 days up front and then went and started smoking so I could "hang out" for 10 minutes. I don't know what it is like now but when I was in the USAF it was almost like they wanted you to smoke and drink.

I am a nicotine junkie...... = /

That was 1980, 30 years later and the longest I went without a cig is 6 mos.... tried to quit one time about 10 years ago, thought I made it, got injured and started smoking again.

Got up to 3 packs a day while in USAF, when I got out I dropped down to 2... now at 1.5 ... still way tooo many. I find at least 1/2 the cigs I smoke I don't even remember lighting them....

The last couple of years I have noticed it is starting to take its toll on me and I have half heartedly considered quitting.... Think I will keep an eye on this thread .. maybe I can get that last bit of motivation I need to get it done.

:peace:
WillyB

Wow must be that time for everyone to stop. Tomorrow will be 19 days since i quit. After 25 yrs of smoking just the first 2 weeks without ciggaretts made my body feels like i was 18 again. We figured with the prices at 10 bucks its time to start spending that cash elsewhere :roorrip:. I've saved 190.00 :yahoo: already just from the 19 days. Ill be rich just from saving my cigg money which only half was for the product (taxes). And Wow at how much better Them Munchies Taste.. Good Luck to Everyone :bong::peace:

Some of our members are currently struggling with quitting nicotine, so I thought I'd bump this thread for further support and discussion. :Namaste:

:thumb:

:goodluck: to all fighting this difficult addiction. Anytime you need a smoke, instead - take a toke. Vaporize it baby!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thanks for the bump. Yea I've quit more times than I can count. longest 3 years. I can't blame my wife because like the Dr. said I light them, but If she could quit they wouldn't be around. MJ is no help I have to stay clean, we need it for my Bi-Polar wife it is the best mad she takes (though I sample sometimes). Time to loose those last three buts yep that is about all I smoke a day, but the hardest to loose.

I just saw Kevin Smith on Leno the other night and he recently quit and started smoking weed instead. He said that whenever he feels like a smoke, he has a bong instead! :thumb:

I'm sure when the time comes to quit again I will do the same thing. Until then, stay away from commercial cigs, buy a tube stuffing machine and make your own using additive free tobacco!

MUCH EASIER to quit off those than the chemical cocktail found in your Camel, Marlboro and every other popular brand. They actually manipulate the formulation to make it as addictive as possible. Some say 300 to 400% more addictive than natural tobacco alone!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

...I just saw Kevin Smith on Leno the other night and he recently quit and started smoking weed instead. He said that whenever he feels like a smoke, he has a bong instead!... :thumb:

Haha - recently? He's always had a bong in one hand, hasn't he? He must mean that he recently quit cigarettes and started smoking MORE weed instead.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;)

For what its worth, I don't think I could have quit nicotine without Cannabis. It really was a good substitute, as it fulfills a similar desire, and it ultimately helps you more quickly "forget" the nicotine craving and move on - at least it did for me.

Good luck and continued positive vibes to those quitting! :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom