Nike to Release New Cheech & Chong Shoe on 4/20

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
And no, this is not an April Fool's joke...

(MSNBC) Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong, the pot-smoking comedy duo of the 1970s and '80s, will be paid homage with an eponymous sneaker due out April 20, the unofficial international holiday for marijuana tokers.

The skateboarding shoe, officially called the Nike SB Dunk High 420 Cheech & Chong, will feature a red heel panel, an icy translucent outsole and "marijuana-green" laces, according to the website sneakerobsession.com. Only 1,000 pairs will be made.

The left sneaker represents Chong with graphics resembling his signature red bandana, while the right sneaker honors Cheech, with a graphic representing his signature red skullcap, wrote Joseph Karlovich, owner and editor of sneakerobsession, a website that covers the sneaker subculture.

In addition to the features described in the MSNBC story, SneakerObsession gives us details on the top layer that scuffs away to reveal a layer of green:

There's been rumors floating around that the sneakers would feature a tearaway concept where a top-layer is torn or scuffed away to reveal a second, hidden layer. The photo below confirms those rumors. As you can see, a top-layer in white, which is possibly canvas or hemp, shreds away to reveal a long-haired green suede.

There's also a "smoked-out insole".

Nike's World Headquarters is just nine miles away from RoLLaJaY Studios; I used to teach computer classes there for new employees on occassion. We'll see if we can get on the inside at Nike and maybe score a pair of Cheech & Chong shoes.

I do believe this makes Cheech, 64, and Chong, 72, the oldest persons to be honored with a Nike shoe. Take that, Michael Jordan!

Nike-Cheech-and-Chong.jpg

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: opposingviews.com
Author: NORML
Copyright: 2011 Opposing Views, Inc.

They going to make them in the same Asian factories and defending against the near-slavery and intolerable conditions by stating, "We don't own the factories, we just contract with them," while forgetting to mention that they are generally the major - if not the sole - contractor, and therefore quite able to remedy the situation if they weren't concerned with making $90 profit on a $10 pair of shoes?

I believe I'll pass.

Yep...Outsourcing is a major concern in this country, IMO

In this time of recession, we need to keep jobs right here and get our own people back to work.

Hemp would help this allot but it's not near enough, I think?

Hemp would help this allot but it's not near enough, I think?

Lol, roger that. (And it would, methinks, even my lines and throttle back the rage... somewhat.) Not to mention, you could almost certainly produce the "420" from with the plant - in the United States, mind you, 100% domestically-sourced. I suppose that's too much to ask from a profit-seeking giant like Nike.

Although, if a million - or ten million - cannabis-aware individuals decided to collectively announce to the world in general and Nike at large that we'd consider purchasing a pair at the (reasonably) inflated prices that producing them domestically would entail, but would definitely not be buying this shoe - or any other of their products - if they did not produce them here, then who knows...

Yep...Outsourcing is a major concern in this country, IMO

In this time of recession, we need to keep jobs right here and get our own people back to work.

With me, it's not so much "Buy American" - although that is there in large part, don't get me wrong - as do NOT buy from companies/nations that do not believe in the importance of simple basic human rights.

I'm just barely old enough to remember a time when it was a given that most things were available in a domestically-produced form (some time before the day I learned that 300 bits per second modems were going drop into the range where a normal household might afford to purchase one and - what wonder is this, lol? - you no longer needed to jam your telephone's handset into one to get it to work). And even then it was not unusual to have foreign-manufactured products. Fine Italian & German cutlery, a bottle of Rémy Martin XO Spécial hidden behind the Bowmore, the Glenfiddich, and The Glenlivet single-malt (aka "whisky" - nuff said). Rich Uncle Frank's collection of shotguns came from several countries. Mad, bad, sad Uncle Richard's knives came from all over the place (although they certainly were not considered to be a collection; more like... working tools, lol). And crazy cousin Harvey's old British bike with its motor that proved over and over again that it was more powerful than any & all challengers - and, once, more than a match for its own brakes (RiP, Harv).

Back when the prefix "imported" most often meant special, quality, even often hand-crafted, and it was acceptable to purchase a thing or two because the rest of your goods - which were produced right here - could generally claim at least one of the three as well.

Unlike today, when purchasing imported goods equates to buying landfill filler (we are just the middlemen, a short stop on the junk's voyage to the dump).

<SHRUGS> It's ironic, really. It was not at all uncommon for people to have a special place in their heart for certain imports - but it was not uncommon, either, for people to look askance at many other imported goods of fine quality simply because they were imports. Now it's almost all garbage - yet Americans are buying it as fast as they can move last year's (or last week's) junk to the curb.

I get angry with companies for making and selling the crap. But in truth they are only doing what companies have done from time immemorial - albeit with even less regard for the niceties of humanity then was traditionally the case. It's US who caused this mess and it is us who continue to support it. We haven't mortgaged our pride and our future - we've sold it outright for some cheap gizmos that don't even work right half the time. We've been had even worse than the native Americans were (at least the beads they were traded were likely to still be functional beads the year after :rolleyes: ) and unlike them, we did it all knowingly.

Guess I'm feeling rather maudlin AtM, and shouldn't be posting. But... I'll probably hit the Submit button anyway, lol.

This post terminates in 10... 9... 8....

Lol, roger that. (And it would, methinks, even my lines and throttle back the rage... somewhat.) Not to mention, you could almost certainly produce the "420" from with the plant - in the United States, mind you, 100% domestically-sourced. I suppose that's too much to ask from a profit-seeking giant like Nike.

Although, if a million - or ten million - cannabis-aware individuals decided to collectively announce to the world in general and Nike at large that we'd consider purchasing a pair at the (reasonably) inflated prices that producing them domestically would entail, but would definitely not be buying this shoe - or any other of their products - if they did not produce them here, then who knows...

With me, it's not so much "Buy American" - although that is there in large part, don't get me wrong - as do NOT buy from companies/nations that do not believe in the importance of simple basic human rights.

I'm just barely old enough to remember a time when it was a given that most things were available in a domestically-produced form (some time before the day I learned that 300 bits per second modems were going drop into the range where a normal household might afford to purchase one and - what wonder is this, lol? - you no longer needed to jam your telephone's handset into one to get it to work). And even then it was not unusual to have foreign-manufactured products. Fine Italian & German cutlery, a bottle of Rémy Martin XO Spécial hidden behind the Bowmore, the Glenfiddich, and The Glenlivet single-malt (aka "whisky" - nuff said). Rich Uncle Frank's collection of shotguns came from several countries. Mad, bad, sad Uncle Richard's knives came from all over the place (although they certainly were not considered to be a collection; more like... working tools, lol). And crazy cousin Harvey's old British bike with its motor that proved over and over again that it was more powerful than any & all challengers - and, once, more than a match for its own brakes (RiP, Harv).

Back when the prefix "imported" most often meant special, quality, even often hand-crafted, and it was acceptable to purchase a thing or two because the rest of your goods - which were produced right here - could generally claim at least one of the three as well.

Unlike today, when purchasing imported goods equates to buying landfill filler (we are just the middlemen, a short stop on the junk's voyage to the dump).

<SHRUGS> It's ironic, really. It was not at all uncommon for people to have a special place in their heart for certain imports - but it was not uncommon, either, for people to look askance at many other imported goods of fine quality simply because they were imports. Now it's almost all garbage - yet Americans are buying it as fast as they can move last year's (or last week's) junk to the curb.

I get angry with companies for making and selling the crap. But in truth they are only doing what companies have done from time immemorial - albeit with even less regard for the niceties of humanity then was traditionally the case. It's US who caused this mess and it is us who continue to support it. We haven't mortgaged our pride and our future - we've sold it outright for some cheap gizmos that don't even work right half the time. We've been had even worse than the native Americans were (at least the beads they were traded were likely to still be functional beads the year after :rolleyes3 ) and unlike them, we did it all knowingly.

Guess I'm feeling rather maudlin AtM, and shouldn't be posting. But... I'll probably hit the Submit button anyway, lol.

This post terminates in 10... 9... 8....

A true poet you are, my friend, I just love the way you put things in perspective bro, truly inspiring! :bravo:

Eh, I was expecting more from the shoe and maybe its just me but the shoe looks kinda ugly. If I hadn't read the article, I would think someone smoked too much and just threw them together...And Cheech and Chong is endorsing this? I would've rather had a Nike shoe with their pic plastered somewhere on it with the hidden compartment which if any popo read this article, it's no longer a secret now is it? *giggles*

Back
Top Bottom