Nitrogen toxicity help

Dewster122

This is my first grow and I didn't do much research before jumping in. Needless to say I've made some mistakes. Once my plants went into flowering I tossed on some fertilizer, not really caring what it was since I wasn't fertilizing at all before. The leaves turned darker green and the tips starting drooping. I diagnosed them with nitrogen toxicity. I flushed the plants with plenty of water and now it's been a week. The drooping is definitely much worse than before. Is it possible that I only dissolved more fertilizer into the soil instead of washing it out completely? I am also guilty of over watering so I'm afraid to try another flushing. What should I do? If I ignore it will it balance itself out or should I risk drowning it by flushing it again?
Or am I completely wrong?

It kind of sounds like over watering is the cause of your problems. But fanleaf is right, pictures and more information about the grow would help alot. Cheers

There really isn't any grow info. I had some seeds that I planted in pots outside in my yard. They started getting big so I brought them into the extra bathroom. They live in the tub under eight 150W CFLs. I water them when they need it and sometimes more. I didn't fertilize until I changed the lighting to 12/12. That's when I noticed the change in the leaves.

This is my first grow and I didn't do much research before jumping in. Needless to say I've made some mistakes. Once my plants went into flowering I tossed on some fertilizer, not really caring what it was since I wasn't fertilizing at all before. The leaves turned darker green and the tips starting drooping. I diagnosed them with nitrogen toxicity. I flushed the plants with plenty of water and now it's been a week. The drooping is definitely much worse than before. Is it possible that I only dissolved more fertilizer into the soil instead of washing it out completely? I am also guilty of over watering so I'm afraid to try another flushing. What should I do? If I ignore it will it balance itself out or should I risk drowning it by flushing it again?
Or am I completely wrong?

What soil?
What water do you use?
HOW MUCH WATER DID YOU FLUSH WITH?
What size pot is it in?
What ferts did you use?
What temp is your room?
Humidity?
pH of soil?
pH of water
ph of water/nutes?

Answer all of the ones you can. Your probably right on N tox but how to fix depends on some of those questions.

What soil?
What water do you use?
HOW MUCH WATER DID YOU FLUSH WITH?
What size pot is it in?
What ferts did you use?
What temp is your room?
Humidity?
pH of soil?
pH of water
ph of water/nutes?

Answer all of the ones you can. Your probably right on N tox but how to fix depends on some of those questions.

Regular potting soil mixed with some from the garden.
Tap water
They are in 5 gal pots and I flushed each with about 8 gallons.
The fertilizer was a 12-3-13.
The room is about 75-80F
Humidity is fairly low because I was trying to help dry them out. Its 20-30%
I haven't checked pH of anything....I'm lazy and underestimated the importance of knowing what you're doing.

Not enough water for a proper flush. 5 gallon pot=15 gallon flush minimum.
Since shes already wet I would flush again and let her dry out.
1st pic actually looks like you may have spider mites. May not but the pic isnt very big so I cant see those little white spots very well.
Without knowing anything about the nutrition already in the soil you may wait until she tells you she needs ferts. pH of everything is very very important.
We are all friends here so don't take this personal but "low quality effort=low quality weed".

To really help you theres just too many missing pieces to the puzzle.

Don't give up! Everyone here will try to help you in any way they can bud.

Not enough water for a proper flush. 5 gallon pot=15 gallon flush minimum.
Since shes already wet I would flush again and let her dry out.
1st pic actually looks like you may have spider mites. May not but the pic isnt very big so I cant see those little white spots very well.
Without knowing anything about the nutrition already in the soil you may wait until she tells you she needs ferts. pH of everything is very very important.
We are all friends here so don't take this personal but "low quality effort=low quality weed".

To really help you theres just too many missing pieces to the puzzle.

Don't give up! Everyone here will try to help you in any way they can bud.

Yea I have thrips too, but I'm already taking care of that. This problem is separate.

This was more of a trial for if I could even do it. But now I realize I need to pay more attention. Thanks for your help for sure.

Yea I have thrips too, but I'm already taking care of that. This problem is separate.

This was more of a trial for if I could even do it. But now I realize I need to pay more attention. Thanks for your help for sure.

No problem at all man. You can do it! It's a weed so it will grow but how well it grows always depends on the farmer. Do as well as you can on these and take that experience to the next level on more in the future!

The first upgrade I would suggest down the road when you can would be a TDS meter and a pH pen! Those 2 tools are priceless!:thumb:

Regular potting soil mixed with some from the garden.

Not trying to be counter productive here. Fanleaf has had alot of good input.

Don't fool yourself into thinking there is such a thing a "regular" potting soil from the store. I hear the term all the time, so your not alone in thinking this and I don't blame you. The miracle grow type companies usually stop at "Grows big plants for 6 months" in terms of telling you how their product really works, anyway, that's beside the point.

The general array of soils at both the big box stores and the little garden centers can vary widely in terms of amounts of macro and micro nutrients as well as containing salty- and sometimes super slow release- nutrients. It's a really good idea to look at the ingredients on the bag of soil or ask someone working there about it (as long as you aren't in home depot- then your better off fending for yourself. No offense to anybody that works at HD)

Back
Top Bottom