Nitrogen Toxicity?

nobodyuknow

OK folks, heres what happened. Sunday night I decided to start flowering, so I turned my timer to 12/12 and I put bloom nutes 1/2 strength on my plant. The next day I started noticing the wild light green color. I did some research and I think its nitrogen toxicity, so I began to flush really good with clear water. I think I pretty much got it flushed really good because plant seems to be perky, other than the claws starting on the tips which now seems to have stopped. Everything else, temps and all that are good.

I guess my question is, will these leaves ever recover and the wild green color go away, or what should I do other than just wait it out?

Thank you in advance :thanks:

100_13546.JPG

Not sure what the PH is, I'm using store bought bottled water. The soil is Miracle Gro and yes it has built in nutes, which I know is not great but its all I had at the time. The only nutes I ever added was bloom nutes the other night, and it was Vigoro Bold Blooms which is a powder like Miracle Gro you mix up into a liquid and pour it on.

It's a 15-30-15 fertilizer. When I used that, this is what happened.

Thanks!

I'm thinking its Iron Defiency now. I got the CaliMagic from General Hydroponics and mixed up a light mixture, and misted the leaves, and it looks like literally the leaves are turning back green before my eyes. Very odd, I never had this problem before, but this is a different strain that ive never grown (northern lights). It'll probably just die on me who knows LOL

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated! :thanks:

Not sure what the PH is, I'm using store bought bottled water. The soil is Miracle Gro and yes it has built in nutes, which I know is not great but its all I had at the time. The only nutes I ever added was bloom nutes the other night, and it was Vigoro Bold Blooms which is a powder like Miracle Gro you mix up into a liquid and pour it on.

It's a 15-30-15 fertilizer. When I used that, this is what happened.

Thanks!

I looked into this fertilizer & it sounds more like you should pre mix into the soil/compost for use only !

At present i think you have more than likely over dosed your plants & caused a major PH shift due to wrong application method of the fertilizer in question...

Nitrogen toxicity is really dark green leafs clawing downwards like old rams horns, quite difficult to recover from btw.

PH problems resemble pale colouring of the growing tips/branches...

I suspect even at 1/2 rate mix, diluted into water (wrong method) you used has caused a PH change of the soil/compost which is adversely effecting the plant... more than likely lowing PH value of soil/compost to an acidic level.

Measuring PH of run off should prove it !

Other wise i would be very tempted to flush the pots with 3 x greater value of pot size with water... aka a 1 gallon pot, flush with 3 gallons of water etc etc etc

To help remove excessive build of ferts & hopefully restore some balance.

First Fe & Zn deficit I've seen in a while. Strange though, plants were loaded initially with nitrogen, then looks like you allowed the ph to reverse. Notice how the plant expresses from the heal of the leaf to the tip. Do as Antics suggested and replant into good soil for improvement. Next best thing would be foliage spray with complete fertilizer that contains Fe and Zn, improvement will be rather fast.

I flushed her really good with clear water. I ran a small hose from the tap in the sink and had the pot in the kitchen sink. Its a big 5 gallon pot so I ran a lot of water thru there.

Got a PH tester kit from General Hydroponics and the run off water is between 6.5 and 7.0, I'd say its more close to 7.0 than anything. I'm hoping thats a good reading.

I've been foliar feeding the CaliMagic supplement and its amazing how the leaves are almost back to green again. You can still see a bit of yellow in them, but they are mostly going back green, so I'm hoping I caught it in time. I'll try to get a pic of her and post so yall can see.

Thank you so much guys for all your help! I cant tell you how much I appreciate it!

:bravo: :thanks: :thanks:

I used miracle grow when I started and had many problems. I couldn't ever get the ph down and had similar issues. It's hard to fert in miracle grow cause of time release nutrients. U might think u need something then they will kick in and u over fert and burn the plant. Switch to water until u get a ph pen and I had to transplant into another soil to finish. Promix hp or bx will do if u have limited selection.

Yeah, I just cut her down on Saturday 11/29 because I need the space :laughtwo:

She gave some good buds in the end. This was my first photoperiod grow, I normally just like the autos, but I wanted the practice, and I learned a lot to say the least.

100_15802.JPG

100_15933.JPG

100_15761.JPG

100_15963.JPG

just wanted to say bravo for the fix, you was right, it was high nitrogen at the start and then you hit it with so much phosphor you locked it away from iron Environmental factors affecting plant growth is a handy resource for anyone finding this post in the future wondering what happened and how to avoid it, the table at the bottom of the page has info on what excess nutrients will do, a quick look at phosphor says "Shows up as micronutrient deficiency of Zn, Fe or Co." from there you would have had some idea what you was looking at.

just wanted to say bravo for the fix, you was right, it was high nitrogen at the start and then you hit it with so much phosphor you locked it away from iron Environmental factors affecting plant growth is a handy resource for anyone finding this post in the future wondering what happened and how to avoid it, the table at the bottom of the page has info on what excess nutrients will do, a quick look at phosphor says "Shows up as micronutrient deficiency of Zn, Fe or Co." from there you would have had some idea what you was looking at.
Good info, but it's a 9 year old post, most of the posters haven't been seen in a while. (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt)

Back
Top Bottom