NJ Gov. Christie's Medical Marijuana Twitter Posts

MedicalNeed

New Jersey's medical marijuana patients and advocates have been trying to communicate with Governor Chris Christie since he took office in January 2010. Requests for meetings have been denied and phone calls have gone without response. Twitter seems to be the only line open.

Some patients have persisted, only getting direct rapport with Mr. Christie on the issue when they attend Town Hall Meetings or call in questions to radio programs.

But last month Christie began to use his Twitter account to talk about the medical cannabis program. His press office confirmed that the governor personally creates the posts.

He began by Tweeting to patients Charles Kwiatkowski and Jennifer Lande as I reported in the following blog:

NJ: Gov. Christie talks medical marijuana on Twitter

Then on 12/14 he got back to yours truly.

Chris Goldstein to Governor Christie via Twitter.com 8:46 AM Dec 14th

freedomisgreen @govchristie - 82% of NJ residents support our medical marijuana law, why are you trying to change it?

GovChristie @freedomisgreen Not trying 2 change it. Regulating THC like any other medicine & prohibiting home delivery ( neither in law as enacted).

Christie also Tweeted to Jennifer Lande again on 12/18.

Twitter.com December 18, 2010

jennifer_lande @GovChristie I just had my Marinol rx delivered2my house. With your logic, why is this allowed? Marinol is almost 100%thc, well over 10%thc.

Governor Christie@jennifer_lande Home delivery not provided for in the law. Complain 2 Sen. Scutari on that one. He did not provide 4 it in the law. Sorry.

jennifer lande@GovChristie ...Does this mean that I'm breaking ur 10%thc rule? Perhaps my doc, pharmacy, delivery guy, & myself should all be punished.

Governor Christie @jennifer_lande Regulating like any other Rx. If Sen. Scutari wanted it different, he should have said so in law. Complain to him--again.

Senator Nicholas Scutari is the lead sponsor of the medical marijuana law. After hearing the numerous concerns of patients with the Christie Administration's proposed regulations for the program Scutari wrote a resolution. The Assembly passed the resolution in November and the state Senate pass it last week. It forces a re-evaluation and perhaps a re-write of the regulations. Patients were thankful for Scutari's leadership in fighting Christie on his overly restrictive rules.

On one hand it is an interesting testament to our digital age that these exchanges are taking place at all. It is important for all politicians to understand platforms like Twitter and Governor Christie is one example of how to use it.

However, on the other hand the state medical marijuana program is a topic that is too important to be limited to an exchange of 140 characters at a time.

After testifying before the Senate Health and Senior Citizens Committee in November Diane Raportella's family wheeled her from the State House Annex to the governor's office in the main Capitol building next door. Dying from Lou Gehrig's disease Raportella was photographed crying in the office lobby; she was told Governor Christie could not meet.

It would have taken as much time for Governor Christie to briefly talk with Diane as it does to make a post for Twitter. But in his latest Tweet on the issue Mr. Christie made it clear that he does not want to hear the concerns of patients.

Twitter.com December 18, 2010 Governor Christie @jennifer_lande My point. Then Sen. Scutari should have provided 4 it in the law. He did not. Complain to him for his sloppiness.

Again, Scutari did hear the concerns of patients and is fighting for them by pursuing the resolution in the Legislature. The overall issue was covered by the Newark Star-Ledger in an article today: Christie Sabotages Medical Marijuana Program.

My responding Tweets to the Governor of New Jersey are:

freedomisgreen @GovChristie THC cap has no basis in science, medicine or law. pls meet w us, ill residents deserve better than 140 chars 2 wrk this out

freedomisgreen @GovChristie - Would you consider hosting a medical marijuana Town Hall Meeting? Soon?

No reply back from @GovChristie yet.

Follow Chris Goldstein on Twitter @freedomisgreen

Follow NJ Governor Christie @GovChristie

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: examiner.com
Author: Chris Goldstein
Copyright: Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com.
Website:NJ Gov. Christie's medical marijuana Twitter posts - Philadelphia norml | Examiner.com

Back
Top Bottom