NL5 X Haze Grow - DWC - SCROG

Sharky88

Whats up fellow 420Mag Members! Just starting my second grow. I learned a ton the first time around so am looking forward to improving on my past results. Suggestions and comments are always welcome!

Started this project on Friday April 3rd.

Seeds:
Strain: Northern Lights #5 X Haze Feminized
Breeder: Sensi Seeds
Type: ~30% indica, ~70% sativa
Flowering: 65-75 days

20150402_170230.jpg

March 3rd - Germination:
1. Soaked 2 rockwool cubes in RO water (5.8 Ph) for 24 hours.
2. Placed 1 NL5XHaze seed in each cube.
3. Placed cubes on seedling tray and covered with humidity dome. I left the top vent on the dome open just a bit.
4. Placed the tray on the heating mat set at 74 F.
5. Covered the entire thing with a blanket.

April 6th 2015
Both seeds popped on this day.

20150407_002519.jpg

April 8th 2015
Have the seedlings in the Supercloner DWC.
REZ Water: Used RO water and added 1.5ml/gal of CalMag and 1/2 tsp/gal. of Root Magic. Also sprinkled a little of the Root Magic in the hole in the rockwool. Ended up at 130PPM and PH'd down to 5.8. I then zip-tied 2 of my T5's together and hung them about 4" to 5" over the seedlings. The girls are stretching a bit already but are growing nicely. Have the seedlings under 24 hr. light for now.

BELOW: NL5 X Haze Seedlings - 5 days from seed.​

20150408_171723.jpg

I'm probably not going to make any changes for a couple weeks so unless anything changes I'll probably post next when I switch over to LED and 18/6 light.

Sharky
:peace:

May 5th 2015 - NL5XHaze - First Week of Veg (4 weeks 2 Days from Seed)

NL5XHaze Rez Change: Did Rez change on May 1st. I'm trying Advanced Nutrients this time around. Currently at 8ml/gal. of Sensi Grow A & B and 8ml/gal. of B-52 and Voodoo Juice. They say I don't need to worry about Ph so giving it a go. If this stuff works it's going to be very easy to use. Advanced Nutrients grow support told me I can be at full veg strength at this point but half strength is already over 700 PPM's so I'm going a little slower for now. Plants look great though, no signs of burn and they are taking off this week.

Topped both plants this week after the third set of true leaves. I'll probably top one more time and then let them fill the SCROG.

G13 Cinderella 99 - Started some new Cindy99 seeds last Tuesday and both popped on Friday. However, one wilted away and died pretty quickly. The other is fine and is in my cloning chamber. Planted a new seed on Friday and expect it to pop any time now.

Sharky Out!

Just a quick update on the new seedlings. So I am trying to germinate some G13 Cindy 99 seeds and am pretty disappointed by the results. Prior to this I have experienced 100% germination success, although from a small sample size. I need to say this upfront because I don't think the results are my doing. I use plain Ph'd RO water and follow the procedure I described in this thread above. Prior to this experience, every single seed I've tried, regardless of strain, has popped on exactly the third day.

I acquired six G13 Cindy 99 Feminized seeds recently. Packaging was nice, the actual seeds come in a small vial with some cotton keeping them in place. Most of the seeds were very small, only one looked fat and robust. I tried to germinate 2 of 5, including the fat one. The fat one popped on the third day (as I have come to expect), the second kinda popped but it shrank to nothing between the stem and the cotyledons. It was very odd. Even the one that popped has oddly shaped leaves. See pic below. So I tried to germinate a third seed to make up for the one that failed. Its been 5 or 6 days so I opened the rockwool and the seed is jet black with no signs of it opening at all. I definitely got a bad batch of seeds. Not sure I am going to let the remaining Cindy 99 go or just toss it.

I have some Cali Connection 818 Headband that I may start instead.

A picture of my odd looking Cindy 99 seedling. Anyone have ideas on what is making these leaves grow so weirdly? The older leaves are kind of bubbled and twisted. The latest leaves are growing from just one side with a very small leaf on the other side. I'm using plain Ph'd RO and that's all. Just bad genetics?

20150506_181102.jpg

Sharky

May 14, 2015 - 5 Weeks, 6 Days from Seed

REZ Change and Cabinet Change
The NL5XHaze are going nuts! I decided to move them over to the flower cabinet. It will probably take 2 more weeks of veg to fill the SCROG net. The girls are about 2" below the net now and the net is 12" above the grow pots.

I'm glad I moved them because the roots were huge and were starting to grow together. If I had waited much longer it might have caused some major damage to get them apart. I had to be extremely careful when trying to pull them through the openings in the Superponics bucket. The new 5-gallon buckets will have a ton more room. I also pruned all leaves below the first set of true leaves. Stress them all at once and then stabilize.

REZ Water - Full recommended veg strength this week. Added 16ml/gal of Sensi Grow A & B plus 8ml/gal of B-52 and Voodoo Juice. Final REZ PPM's are 2000! Seems really high but the folks at Adv Nutes grow support say not to worry and I have to admit these are growing like crazy and I have not seen any burn so far.

I'm taking PPM's mostly so I know if they are drinking more than eating. I try to keep constant PPM's through the week so if PPM's fall they are eating more than drinking, I add more nute solution. If PPM's rise they are drinking more than eating so I add plain RO water. I have not added any Ph balancing solution and it's currently at a constant 5.7 Ph.

Cindy 99 Update
It's growing, but very slowly. Since I moved the NL5XHaze to the flower cabinet I'm going to move the Cindy99 to the lower veg cabinet and put it on 1/4 strength Adv Nutes and see if it perks up. If it does ok I think I might take a few clones and move those to the top and then use those for the next run in the flower cabinet. The timing might work well that way.

Below are some updated pictures which show the existing plants as well as show the transition over to the flower cabinet.

BELOW: The NL5XHaze were ready to move over to the flower cabinet. They are about 10" tall at this point. The roots are huge!

20150514_194322.jpg

20150514_195622.jpg

BELOW: My new DIY Flower Cabinet before moving the girls over. My video in a previous post describes the features of this new cabinet. It was a fun project and it will probably be modified many more times.

20150514_194210.jpg

BELOW: Added plain RO water and the nutes, then turned on the air and water for a few hours.

20150514_215203.jpg

BELOW: I had no choice but to put the entire 3" Net Pot into the 6" net pot in the flower cabinet. The roots must have taken up between 50% and 70% of the space in the 6" net pots. I filled in the remaining space with hydroton and ran the water for about 10 minutes.

20150514_215052.jpg

20150514_200850.jpg

20150514_200907.jpg

BELOW: I added the SCROG net about 12" above the top of the net pots.

20150514_203507.jpg

BELOW: I hooked up the exhaust from the cabinet to the existing Phresh Filter exhaust system.

20150514_203733.jpg

BELOW: I added the oscilating fan, the temp and Rh monitor, turned on the K300 and the ladies are ready to roll!

20150514_215415.jpg

These are growing like crazy, can't wait to fill the net and flip these puppies. They smell great already. I'll try and update next week at the next rez change. I'm curious to see how stressed they get from this move.

Out for now!

Sharky

May 26th 2015 - 7 Weeks 4 Days from Seed

Day 1 of Flower!

NL5 X Haze Update - I decided to flip the NL5 X Haze last night. The SCROG is filling in nicely and I've been reading some other journals about how much these will stretch the first two weeks of Flower so decided to flip them. I lowered the SCROG net at the last REZ change, it's now 10.5" above the buckets. They experienced ZERO shock from the change of cabinets. Growth never slowed and the roots are still going crazy. I've been doing a little LST and training the branches under the SCROG net. Have been tucking fan leaves daily but also trimmed a few that were blocking lower growth. Nothing I do slows these ladies down.

REZ CHANGE May 25 2015 - Now running a flowering nute mix. 16mL/G of Sensi Bloom A & B. 8mL/G of Voodoo Juice, Piranha, Bud Candy, Tarantula, Sensizym, Bud Ignitor, Rhino Skin, and Bud Factor X. PPM's are 1320 and Ph is 5.8.

BELOW: NL5 X Haze. Zero shock from transplanting in Flower cabinet. Compare the growth from the pics 12 days ago.​

20150526_145909.jpg

20150526_144619.jpg

Cindy 99 Update - Well she's still limping along. Not growing much and the leaves still look odd. Not one set of true leaves with 5 fingers on both sides. Latest set is 5 on one side and 4 on the other. I flushed with pure water for a few days and just put her back on 1/4 strength Sensi Grow nutes. I'm gonna give her another week and if she doesn't produce some normal leaves and show some growth I'm gonna pull her. I can't take clones from this dawg anyway. Disappointing.

BELOW: Cindy99 is limping along.​

20150522_235757.jpg

Cali Connection 818 Headband - Germinated 2 seeds on May 6th. One popped on May 10th and the other never developed. Gonna change my germination process a bit, my perfect streak is broken and I seem to be having some issues. Anyway, the one is looking fine, has a tap root and is working on the second set of leaves. I may clone this one and veg a couple for the flower cabinet.

BELOW: Newest seedling. Cali Connection 818 Headband​

20150522_235726.jpg

NL5 X Haze Clones - I took 4 clones of the NL5 X Haze on Friday May 22nd. They wilted initially but recovered quickly. They are still nice and green and standing tall, but no roots are showing yet. I have them in the veg cabinet with the Cindy 99 on 1/4 strength Sensi Grow nutes.

BELOW: Clones from the robust NL5 X Haze.​

20150523_150550.jpg

20150526_133135.jpg

I have a ton going on right now, but am having fun. I'm expecting 2 weeks of stretch from the NL5 X Haze and then another 7-9 weeks of Flower. Might need to slow down a couple of the projects in the veg cabinet but we'll see how that goes. Kinda experimenting with the NL5XHaze clones. Never cloned anything before.

I'm out for now!

Sharky

How are your plants coming along? Love your new flowering setup. I wish I was handy like that.

Thx for checking in CSprite. New cabinet is working gr8 so far. Have changed the water twice now and it's really easy. REZ bucket is a must have with grow buckets this large and with the SCROG. I can't really move the grow bucket lids now that I'm training the girls through the net so it's really nice to run everything through the REZ (drains and refills and nute changes and monitoring). Really happy with the setup so far. Next 2 weeks, first 2 weeks of flower, are going to be the key.

Sharky

Update for June 20 2015

Sensi Seeds NL5 X Haze Update - 11 Weeks, 1 Day from Seed - 26 Days in Flower
I was out of town for a week and had a friend water for me. I raised the lights as high as they would go on the ratchets before I left to make sure the ladies didn't grow into the lights. They stretched more than 20" in one week! Amazing growth (see pics below). Some leaves and a couple buds were burned but I cut the leaves off and think the buds will be fine. I removed the ratchets and rigged the lights to the top of the cabinet, they're as high as they can go. Luckily, it looks like the ladies are done stretching. I have a ton a very long branches with 5 to 6 bud sites on each. If these fill in the yield will be amazing. I've been adding between 1 gallon and 1.5 gallons of RO water per day. PPM's staying close to 1600 all week (drinking more than eating).

REZ Change on 6-17-15 - Week 4 Flower Mix: 16ml/g of Sensi Bloom A & B, 8ml/g of Big Bud, B-52, Bud Candy, Nirvana, Sensizym, Rhino Skin, and Bud Factor X.

CURRENT STATS (*Lights On)
Closet Temp: 78.8F Humidity: 57% Water Temp: 72.1F Water PH: 6.1 Water PPM: 1620

Under SCROG
20150620_125712.jpg

They stretched more than 20" in one week while I was out of town! I now have a ton of very long branches, some with 6 or 7 bud sites.
20150620_125736.jpg

A few of the tops grew into the lights so some leaves and top colas were burned. I chopped the burnt leaves and think the buds will be fine. Luckily I think they're done stretching because I can't raise the lights any more.
20150620_125425.jpg

Some really nice flowers forming. Just starting to get frosty. There's a whole row lined up along the back of the cabinet that you can't really see in this picture, but there are about 6 or 7 in a row evenly spaced (one per square) and even height. Looks pretty cool.

20150620_125549.jpg

If all these fill in between nodes the yield will be huge. Still have 6 or 7 weeks of flower.
20150620_125614.jpg

Last shot under the lights.
20150620_120435.jpg

G13 Cindy 99 Update - 7 Weeks, 4 Days from Seed
The Cindy 99 finally took off, while I was on vacation. I need to go away more often. haha. Now I don't have anywhere to put her so I'm going to move her to a Root Spa outside and let her finish naturally. she's been an odd bird from the beginning. I had a friend use pre-mixed solution while I was gone but for some reason the PPM's spiked to 4 times what i expected. The Cindy 99 didn't show any signs of burn.

REZ Change on 6-17-15 - Full Veg Mix: 16ml/g of Sensi Grow A & B, 8ml/g of B-52 and Voodoo Juice.

G13 Cindy 99 - 7 Weeks, 4 Days from Seed
20150620_120817.jpg

Cali Connection 818 Headband Update - 6 Weeks, 3 Days from Seed​
She was in the same Rez as the Cindy 99 that spiked PPM's while I was on vacation. No signs of burn, leaves look nice and green. She's not getting much light because the Cindy99 is dwarfing her at this point. Once I move the Cindy out she should take off.

20150620_120839.jpg

Reserva Privada Kosher Kush Update - 4 Weeks, 1 Day from Seed​
Have some new ladies in the cloning chamber in my veg cabinet. Both germinated fine and stretched right away. The stems are long and pretty weak. Am just now training them to stand by themselves. Roots look good. Have these on 1/2 strength Sensi grow mix. I'll move these down with the Headband once I move the Cindy out of the lower chamber. These will finish in the flower cabinet once the NL5XHaze are done.

20150620_120741.jpg

Lots going on but all looking good. Another update soon.

Sharky

Update for June 25 2015

Sensi Seeds NL5 X Haze Update - 11 Weeks, 6 Day from Seed - 31 Days in Flower

I made a ton of changes this week across the board. The NL5XHaze was a mess when I came back from vacation, today I cleaned her up and got her ready for the final 5 or 6 weeks of Flower. I had to prune and lollipop to get more light and energy to the largest buds. I took out some of the really small branches that had popcorn buds that were not getting light. There was also a ton of new growth spots underneath that got cleaned up. I didn't take any fan leaves, just "sucker branches and lower new growth.

I also added a PVC support frame, some wire, and some zip-ties and tied down a bunch of colas to specific spot's. There is a ton more light penetration to the lower portion of the largest colas. There are more than 30 colas with 20" (some longer) stalks that have 5 or 6 bud sites on them. The light, after pruning and cleanup, is hitting this lower stuff now. Just starting week 5 of flower and these are supposed to take 65-75 days so have about 6 weeks left. They are done stretching and are just starting to fill in. Should be primed to start putting on some weight. Looking really nice.

REZ Change on 6-24-15 - Week 5 Flower Mix: 16ml/g of Sensi Bloom A & B, 8ml/g of Big Bud, B-52, Bud Candy, Nirvana, Sensizym, Rhino Skin, and Bud Factor X.

CURRENT STATS (*Lights On)
Closet Temp: 87.8F Humidity: 37% Water Temp: 77.4F Water PH: 6.4 Water PPM: 1580

The colas are much more spread out now and are getting a ton more light to their lower bud sites.

20150625_215254.jpg

I lollipopped all the new growth below the net.

20150625_215231.jpg

I added another framework of PVC to help spread out the colas and also provide anchor points to tie the branches to. This will provide support also when the colas get heavy. Zip-tied each bottom corner to the existing SCROG Net.

20150625_215429.jpg

Used screws evenly spaced all the way around, just like the SCROG, then ran wire from side to side and from front to back to separate and anchor the colas.

20150625_215443.jpg

I was a little worried about pruning but still have 6 weeks to go and I'm really happy happy with the results. I'm hoping the additional light will help these fill in.

20150625_215152.jpg

20150625_215323.jpg

20150625_215305.jpg

20150625_215315.jpg

20150625_215353.jpg

Some big changes in the other cabinet as well. I'll post some updates on the Veg cabinet changes, the Cindy99, the 818 Headband, and the Kosher Kush tomorrow. Out for now!

Sharky

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom