No freaking way: nearly 3 LB autoflower?

Ouch! Yeah I had about a 4 day stretch with 90+ and then 3 weeks later about a weeks worth of them. Some of them stunted to a fraction of the previous strength and vigor.

We are about to have a super mild almost perfect stretch if they can keep it from raining a few times.

I send you cooling vibes!
Ah, I see you're from north MA. There's a reason why "hardy" is used to describe New Englanders!

"Some of them stunted" - I can imagine. 90's are very no bueno for cannabis and rain, too. Growing outdoors - "We have no problems; just challenges and opportunities!"

Ah, I see you're from north MA. There's a reason why "hardy" is used to describe New Englanders!
Hahhaah Yup! It's been either so hot its killing them or so overwatered they cant dry out enough to feed nutes safely. Plus the normal slugs, thrips, gnats and little black flies. Weather like "please please please dont let it hail on my babies" and "please keep winds down below 40 mph gusts on my babies". 2 nosey neighbours as well.

No furry four legger critters have made an attempt yet! So I have that going for me ;)

Hardy is just an excuse to eat more pie than we should be allowed to lol.
"Some of them stunted" - I can imagine. 90's are very no bueno for cannabis and rain, too. Growing outdoors - "We have no problems; just challenges and opportunities!"

It really was a couple of rough heat waves! Best thing was getting to pick up a lot of knowledge as different phenos did better than others with it. In fact the girls that had a rough early helmet headed start and were slower because they stunted slightly early on seemed to have faired better then their older sisters that were sort of leading the race early on.

So Cal eh? I was born in Nor Cal , Bay Area in Fremont. Still miss all the amazing outdoors there.
How on this burnt earth do you grow outdoors there? :green_heart: :thumb:

Re. weather - outdoor cannabis in New England. Not easy. Plus you have forest rats. I did mention "challenges and opportunities", right?

"a rough early helmet headed start" - had that issue with one of the (two) plants in my last grow. That plant ended up yielded 1/5 what the other plant yielded. I had four Gorilla Glue seeds left so I only germinated two seeds. The grow turned out well but that wasn't the right approach. Even with a two plant tent, I should have an extra seedling to avoid potential issues.

I'm about 10 miles from the ocean in north Orange County so I could grow outdoors but would need to water. There are some growers here who live in the San Fernando valley, which is just north of LA, and they have to be pretty choosey about when they grow.

One reason for me to need to get "seeds in the ground" is that I've been hit by thrips two years in a row. I tried to time the grows so that they would be done by June to avoid that issue but I can't get an auto to harvest in under 120 days.

"the amazing outdoors there" - it is amazing here. I've lived across the continent as well as outside the continent, and these people have no idea how good they've got it.

I was actually referring to the 3lb auto in the title but that was a great show!

Nicely done.

:peace:
[late reply]

I saw that right after I hit the "Post reply" button. I participate in a few other forums, one which I describe as "throwing a lot of elbows", though at that site, the posting would be more along the lines of "put up or shut up" rather than your far more polite reply.

I was logged in on that site so it was an issue of "mistaken identity", so to speak.

Thanks for the compliment.

Re. weather - outdoor cannabis in New England. Not easy. Plus you have forest rats. I did mention "challenges and opportunities", right?
Our particular very local family of forest rats sleep every night about 5 ft away from the crop but theres a small 4 ft wall and some light fencing between them and the girls. If they really want it theyll take it but I dont think they do. Theres so many other things they like better growing everywhere.

"a rough early helmet headed start" - had that issue with one of the (two) plants in my last grow. That plant ended up yielded 1/5 what the other plant yielded. I had four Gorilla Glue seeds left so I only germinated two seeds. The grow turned out well but that wasn't the right approach. Even with a two plant tent, I should have an extra seedling to avoid potential issues.
Im only buying seeds in 3 packs or more from now on. Ill take singles in the freebies. I figure popping 3 (fem/auto) beans for 1 seedling is expensive but also closer to whats done with regular seeds. Seems a good balance.

I'm about 10 miles from the ocean in north Orange County so I could grow outdoors but would need to water. There are some growers here who live in the San Fernando valley, which is just north of LA, and they have to be pretty choosey about when they grow.
There was a time when I was young I remember people doing small outdoor grows when I lived in San Jose. I think about what I saw back then and what time of year etc... Im pretty positive those plants wouldnt make it, seemed wetter (not that it was much but definitely more than what is dropped on average), plus average daily temps. Yeah outdoor out there just sounds crazy hard lol.

One reason for me to need to get "seeds in the ground" is that I've been hit by thrips two years in a row. I tried to time the grows so that they would be done by June to avoid that issue but I can't get an auto to harvest in under 120 days.
Oh? Are those grows on here? Where its taking 120 plus days? Ill go check... fascinated to see whats going on with that. If I could get my auto to just veg another week or two mmmm.

"the amazing outdoors there" - it is amazing here. I've lived across the continent as well as outside the continent, and these people have no idea how good they've got it.
Same! Veritable edens and geographic treasures everywhere not built up.

Our particular very local family of forest rats sleep every night about 5 ft away from the crop but theres a small 4 ft wall and some light fencing between them and the girls. If they really want it theyll take it but I dont think they do. Theres so many other things they like better growing everywhere.
I used to do long distance motorcycle rides, where the entry level ride is 1000 miles in a day. We use a Spot tracker + a log and turn in receipts and get a certificate and other ash and tchotchkes. When planning a ride, you have to be really careful to avoid the Fall rut. Deer are completely unpredictable and hitting even a small doe at speed can kill the rider.

The big dance in that group is the Iron Butt Rally where riders cover all of CONUS. A few years ago, the rider in the lead was covering the final few hundred miles (typical to ride 11000 miles during the 11 day rally) on a remote stretch of highway in Wyoming and a deer jumped out onto the highway. You name it, it fractured. Air lifted out and, even a few years later, still can't get around that well.

I'll take mine medium rare.

Im only buying seeds in 3 packs or more from now on. Ill take singles in the freebies. I figure popping 3 (fem/auto) beans for 1 seedling is expensive but also closer to whats done with regular seeds. Seems a good balance.
Same here. I just germinated two Strawberry Pie seeds and will keep only two. I dropped two seeds for my last grow and should have culled one that had trouble as a seedling so lesson learned there. Yeh, at $16 per bean, I'd rather not have to toss one out but, conversely, if I can spend the $16 and significantly increase my chances of having a stellar crop, I'll plant the extra bean.

There was a time when I was young I remember people doing small outdoor grows when I lived in San Jose. I think about what I saw back then and what time of year etc... Im pretty positive those plants wouldnt make it, seemed wetter (not that it was much but definitely more than what is dropped on average), plus average daily temps. Yeah outdoor out there just sounds crazy hard lol.
The Bay Area is colder and, I suspect, wetter than here in SoCal but the Emerald Triangle is up north and it's even colder and wetter. One interesting issue re temp - research shows that cannabis yield increases with temperature, all other things being equal. However, in the video "Does Hemp Need Extra Water and Fertilizer?", the presenter, Mitch Westmoreland, shared a tidbit when he discussed temperature. My notes:

"Discusses temperature - Optimum temp to maximize CBD and yield and keep THC below 3%

Plants grown at 73 and 84 degrees. Plants at 84 were taller but colas were smaller in girth.

At 84 little taller, a bit more vegetative biomass. Yield wasn't all that affected by the increase tempearature. At 84, cannabanoids were roughly 1/2 of what they were at cooler temperatures."

SoCal has the sunlight but northern NorCal has lower temps - I wonder if that's what contributed to that part of CA being a cannabis powerhouse.

Oh? Are those grows on here? Where its taking 120 plus days? Ill go check... fascinated to see whats going on with that. If I could get my auto to just veg another week or two mmmm.
Yup, check the links in my sig block. For planning purposes, I allocate 130 days per grow but I've been at 110- 120 for seed to weed time. I suspect that's because of the size of the res (28 gallons) and the fact that don't grow many plants. There's no contention for resources so the plants grow as large as they wish. It's definitely a non-standard setup.

[late reply]

I saw that right after I hit the "Post reply" button. I participate in a few other forums, one which I describe as "throwing a lot of elbows", though at that site, the posting would be more along the lines of "put up or shut up" rather than your far more polite reply.

I was logged in on that site so it was an issue of "mistaken identity", so to speak.

Thanks for the compliment.

Your links aren't working for me. I'm mainly doing autos outside only but want to do my best to get them bigger if I can. They are GG#4 auto X Mazar auto and this year came in at 28" at the tallest. Might have spent too long in small pots before I could plant them outside the first week of July but sprouted the first week of June. 93 days from sprout to chop last year and look to be on schedule for the same this year.

MazPatch020922A.JPG

Your links aren't working for me. I'm mainly doing autos outside only but want to do my best to get them bigger if I can. They are GG#4 auto X Mazar auto and this year came in at 28" at the tallest. Might have spent too long in small pots before I could plant them outside the first week of July but sprouted the first week of June. 93 days from sprout to chop last year and look to be on schedule for the same this year.

MazPatch020922A.JPG

It sounds like you're onto something re. the smaller pots. My res is 28 gallons of nutes so the plants can do the backstroke if they want to and my four grows (one in 2017) have all had very tall plants.

I'm a hydro grower so I don't know much about growing in soil but perhaps up pot earlier and or bigger for your next grow?

93 days is a little longer than what the vendors post on their sites but it's not too far off. It's still early for frost here in CONUS, right?

It sounds like you're onto something re. the smaller pots. My res is 28 gallons of nutes so the plants can do the backstroke if they want to and my four grows (one in 2017) have all had very tall plants.

I did about 50 DWC grows in Rubbermaid tubs from '01 until 3 years ago then started experimenting with organics mixed in with ProMix HP. Straight HP and the same hydro nutes I used for DWC worked easy-peasy but organics was something I couldn't do, (and still struggle with), so it's something I need to get decent at. Seems to work easy enough out in the garden but inside in pots it's been a struggle.

Autos don't seem to like getting rootbound and that was happening in the small pots I started them in by the time I could get them in the soil. That's half Promix out there that I have them in. Next year I'll sprout them in 2L pots so they will have room to stretch out. I have 3 of the same strain inside I left in 3" square pots that only got 10" tall and are almost just one cola from top to bottom. Maybe a half oz each but all covered in seeds now so I didn't want them big. Two have lots of seeds and teh other was the one I sprayed with STS to force male flowers and make fem seeds. Some seeds on that one too so I'll have some S2 seeds as well as F2s from the other girls.

93 days is a little longer than what the vendors post on their sites but it's not too far off. It's still early for frost here in CONUS, right?

These say 10 - 12+ weeks from sprout so not far off the mark on the top end. Up to a meter+ tall and last year the two I grew were 32" so need to get another 7.5 " to hit the meter mark. :)

CONUS is Continental US? Should still be early for frost over most of that I would think. I'm at 56N in Alberta and we have had frost in the middle of Aug but not for years thanks to global warming I think. Way less snow than we got years back and I bought the place 20 years ago. Nasty winds from the west here spring and summer. Lost a few branches off a couple of the girls so put a windbreak up. Good thing too as a few days after a real nasty thunderstorm rolled thru and would have trashed them for sure. Nothing but open prairie to the west and that's where the winds come from all summer.

This is looking due west at near sunset as a thunderstorm rolls in. The raised bed is due east-west. Not a hill or tree for over a mile so the wind just shoots thru here. That's greenhouse plastic and lets almost all the light thru. Still have 14 hours of light a day here but the days are getting shorter fast.

MazPatch260822A.JPG

Anyone seen the cherry cheesecake auto that supposedly does 1300 grams outdoors and 650 in? 25% thc too?
Im finding this not easy to believe but also maybe its possible if you're a top game flora surgeon and prime time tie down artist.
I believe it one of the first autos I grew outside got huge Didn't even try that hard ,took the top buds early (was getting to tall, even with topping ) & lost some to bud rot
It still got me 22ozs.
Looked even bigger the next year but got ripped
heard reports of over 2lbs from others

I did about 50 DWC grows in Rubbermaid tubs from '01 until 3 years ago then started experimenting with organics mixed in with ProMix HP. Straight HP and the same hydro nutes I used for DWC worked easy-peasy but organics was something I couldn't do, (and still struggle with), so it's something I need to get decent at. Seems to work easy enough out in the garden but inside in pots it's been a struggle.

Autos don't seem to like getting rootbound and that was happening in the small pots I started them in by the time I could get them in the soil. That's half Promix out there that I have them in. Next year I'll sprout them in 2L pots so they will have room to stretch out. I have 3 of the same strain inside I left in 3" square pots that only got 10" tall and are almost just one cola from top to bottom. Maybe a half oz each but all covered in seeds now so I didn't want them big. Two have lots of seeds and teh other was the one I sprayed with STS to force male flowers and make fem seeds. Some seeds on that one too so I'll have some S2 seeds as well as F2s from the other girls.

These say 10 - 12+ weeks from sprout so not far off the mark on the top end. Up to a meter+ tall and last year the two I grew were 32" so need to get another 7.5 " to hit the meter mark. :)

CONUS is Continental US? Should still be early for frost over most of that I would think. I'm at 56N in Alberta and we have had frost in the middle of Aug but not for years thanks to global warming I think. Way less snow than we got years back and I bought the place 20 years ago. Nasty winds from the west here spring and summer. Lost a few branches off a couple of the girls so put a windbreak up. Good thing too as a few days after a real nasty thunderstorm rolled thru and would have trashed them for sure. Nothing but open prairie to the west and that's where the winds come from all summer.

This is looking due west at near sunset as a thunderstorm rolls in. The raised bed is due east-west. Not a hill or tree for over a mile so the wind just shoots thru here. That's greenhouse plastic and lets almost all the light thru. Still have 14 hours of light a day here but the days are getting shorter fast.

MazPatch260822A.JPG

56° North - long way up there. I spent a month working in Edmonton in the summer of 2001 and went up the Alcan to get my daughter to college in 2007 so I've seen some of that area. The drive to Anchorage was amazing and Banff is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I've done three trips there and need to go back.

Ft McMurray area - not for me. I went to college in New Brunswick so I've been cold but not 56°N cold. One trip to Winnipeg over New Year's was enough for me. I live in Southern California now. The temps are in the 90's this week - suits me fine!

Re. the wind - yeah, I got that from the Winnipeg trip.

Interesting info re yield and seed to weed time vs growers estimates. You're using smaller containers and you're able to turn them around quicker. My hydro setup is the other way round - lots of nutes, no contention for resources, and it takes forever.

Why the switch away from hydro? Just wanted a change?

Yes on "CONUS".

"14 hours of daylight" - got a laugh out of that. When I worked in Edmonton, I drove there from Santa Fe, where I was living at the time. My habit was to leave the office when it started getting dark. That takes on a whole different meaning that far north.

I took this on the way to Banff (and then home) after finishing work in Edmonton. I remember thinking how amazing it would be to drive all the way to Anchorage on that road. Fast forward six years and we turned right instead of going straight.

1662348874291.jpeg

I believe it one of the first autos I grew outside got huge Didn't even try that hard ,took the top buds early (was getting to tall, even with topping ) & lost some to bud rot
It still got me 22ozs.
Looked even bigger the next year but got ripped
heard reports of over 2lbs from others

Not doubting you at all and many congrats on what mustve been a bit of unexpected awesomeness!

My eyebrow is raised because theyre advertising it as such, which means they consider it a typical best case possibility. I havent found any other autos that have that kind of yield with a decent THC percentage being advertised. Have you? Ive tried and havent come close. Let me know if you've seen soem pretty please? and thank you :thanks:

Not doubting you at all and many congrats on what mustve been a bit of unexpected awesomeness!

My eyebrow is raised because theyre advertising it as such, which means they consider it a typical best case possibility. I havent found any other autos that have that kind of yield with a decent THC percentage being advertised. Have you? Ive tried and havent come close. Let me know if you've seen soem pretty please? and thank you :thanks:
It was & no I haven't I'm sure my plant came from magic beans. My original intent was to grow tomato plant size plants. I found a company on true north (short stuff seeds ) & assumed them to be short. Decided to buy a pack of mixed reg seeds, so I could cross some & make my own auto seeds.
Planted four seeds end of April one showed male in 21 days Than a female few days later
last two took till July to show signs, a male & a bit later a female Thought they were photo plants till then.
Looked at the seed description better & read contains a random mix of dwarf, mid-sized and next generation auto flowering cannabis seeds ( I think 1 description I found said experimental seeds
so I matched it up to what I think is Super Stinky one of there super autos
there description come nowhere near the amount I got off of it but was a Sativa ,stunk like skunk, had a gross cheese stink & a lemon citrus finish, 18-20% thc just got way bigger

If I was to buy more auto seeds I would look for a breeder named stich, flash seeds @ true north

Here are pics of the plants I grew, only got mid bloom pics sorry

that's the stem in my avatar , leaves were as big as dinner plates

It was & no I haven't I'm sure my plant came from magic beans. My original intent was to grow tomato plant size plants. I found a company on true north (short stuff seeds ) & assumed them to be short. Decided to buy a pack of mixed reg seeds, so I could cross some & make my own auto seeds.
Planted four seeds end of April one showed male in 21 days Than a female few days later
last two took till July to show signs, a male & a bit later a female Thought they were photo plants till then.
Looked at the seed description better & read contains a random mix of dwarf, mid-sized and next generation auto flowering cannabis seeds ( I think 1 description I found said experimental seeds
so I matched it up to what I think is Super Stinky one of there super autos
there description come nowhere near the amount I got off of it but was a Sativa ,stunk like skunk, had a gross cheese stink & a lemon citrus finish, 18-20% thc just got way bigger

If I was to buy more auto seeds I would look for a breeder named stich, flash seeds @ true north

Here are pics of the plants I grew, only got mid bloom pics sorry

that's the stem in my avatar , leaves were as big as dinner plates
Ye Gods !! Those colas!!! lmao! Id have been sitting guard out there with a water cannon and a flare gun. Magic beans indeed!

I was going to ask if that was its stem! Holy cows playing hopscotch! I could make a didgeridoo out of that thing lol.

Im so envious but also glad you had such a magnificent grow to be envious of! Thanks for sharing :thumb: :green_heart:

Ye Gods !! Those colas!!! lmao! Id have been sitting guard out there with a water cannon and a flare gun. Magic beans indeed!

I was going to ask if that was its stem! Holy cows playing hopscotch! I could make a didgeridoo out of that thing lol.

:thumb: :green_heart:
I was mad if I would have caught the person that day I might have beat him with it
the roots from the first one

Back
Top Bottom