Noise levels on air pumps

CraZysWeeD

I'm searching for a new air pump with really low noise and vibration.

The less noisy ones are expensive and you don't wanna buy one if
don't know if they are less noisy. The one I got is a chines one that's
suppose to be super silent... it is not. Before I soundpoofed it i could
hear it from the other room with my door shut. Don't know the db of it.

I'm looking at a Charles Austen ET30 suppose to be at 40db it's for 120$.

Do you guys have any other recommendations cheap/expensive?

(Do they come silent?) I don't know of any silent pumps. I know of some that say they are.

I think the GH are the best sounding ones I have come across and I have owned at least 15 to 20pumps over the years. Their sound just kind of blends in with the room noise.

Box it in with wood, lined with 1/2" open cell foam. You'll want to ensure you have an airflow across the fins of the pump, with a computer fan. It cut 90% of the noise for me. I sold mine as I can't run DWC. My well doesn't supply enough water.

Jehmco linear piston pump. A bit spendy but super quiet and durable. Easy to repair also. It may be too large for you? Maybe not.They also have reliable diaphragm pumps that are much cheaper and smaller. Diaphragm pumps need to be repaired more. A lot of aquarium products can cross over to hydro. Don't limit yourself to only hydro products. You may find a better deal at a fish shop or online aquatic dealer.

(Do they come silent?) I don't know of any silent pumps. I know of some that say they are.

I think the GH are the best sounding ones I have come across and I have owned at least 15 to 20pumps over the years. Their sound just kind of blends in with the room noise.

Ok, we don't got GH pumps in my part of the world. Does any one got any decibel numbering of these pumps?
The one I got I have taped it with "Bitumen", like tarmac material and put it in one of those small fridge cases with lots of damping. It still makes noise and vibrations that sound outside the grow room.

So the pump the hydroponics recommend over here is Charles Austen pumps they hum round 40db.

Jehmco linear piston pump. A bit spendy but super quiet and durable. Easy to repair also. It may be too large for you? Maybe not.They also have reliable diaphragm pumps that are much cheaper and smaller. Diaphragm pumps need to be repaired more. A lot of aquarium products can cross over to hydro. Don't limit yourself to only hydro products. You may find a better deal at a fish shop or online aquatic dealer.

These Charles Austen pumps are made in a sewage plant products segment. Cool with a quiet piston pump. Have looked at Eheim piston pump but they say it's real noisy... Going to look up these Jehmco pumps!

I once had a noisy pump. I was able to cut out much of the sound and vibration by putting it in a mesh produce bag and hanging it. I think I repurposed a naval orange bag. You should make sure you get some aquarium check valves. If there is a power outage, water can siphon back into the pump. Check valves prevent this.

I once had a noisy pump. I was able to cut out much of the sound and vibration by putting it in a mesh produce bag and hanging it. I think I repurposed a naval orange bag. You should make sure you get some aquarium check valves. If there is a power outage, water can siphon back into the pump. Check valves prevent this.

Yes I'm aware of this. And I have check valve on the air hose. But there is no warranty that it works either. I have run in to issues with this in my line of work, water and sewage. Had issues with siphon with lye, pH 12 in all sand filters at that plant...

Hygger 16L/min Oxygen Pump,2 Air Outlets for Aquarium Air Pump,Adjustable Fish Tank Air Pump,10W

On Amazon, it's by far the quietest air pump that I've used and powerful as well.

I bought one of those 50 dollar industrial pumps, and it was super LOUD!

You could even hear it vibrating the floor in my upper bedroom on the opposite side of the house, and it was even hanging from a spring.

I ran it for a day, and not only was it loud, but it got so hot that it actually softened the rubber on the manifold where the 4 air hoses connect, and it popped off with a LOUD popping sound, unfortunately the cat was sitting on my wife's lap at the time and it scared the crap out of him, causing him to do a burnout on my wife's leg, from which she still has a nasty scar from to this day!

I promptly returned it to the local hydro store for a refund.

I bought the GH Dual Diaphragm pump and it has been running quietly and flawlessly ever since, no regrets, even though it cost $104.00 CAD here in Canada.

Haha, funny story anyway.

Why is it that stuff is so expensive in Canada I thought you had low taxes?

Three things:
1. Shipping costs are outrageous from the USA, and within Canada;
2. Our dollar is about 3/4 the value of the American Dollar; and
3. Our government charges taxes on most of what I order from the USA.

I pay 1/4 to 1/2 on eBay for items from China compared to Amazon Canada for the same product. At the local hydro shop I'd be paying a 50% surcharge over the Amazon prices. I'll wait the four to six weeks for my items to arrive.

That's crazy. Don't remember what I paid for the shipping from chilled but not that expensive. Like 25$ maybe and our tax and import like 40-50$.

And I thought that was expensive. How come its that expensive? You are neighboring countrys.

I used to try to get cheaper prices on amazon.com, instead of amazon.CA, but after the taxes and import fees sometimes i would pay MORE than if I had bought it on amazon.ca.

This has helped me a ton. Hung it from a bungie cord then zip ties it in place. Vibration gone

Attachments

• 20200401_161611.jpg
    20200401_161611.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 268
That's pretty effective way to get a lower vibration sound, that's a piston compressor you got there right?

Back
Top Bottom