Non-purchased seeds

adudecalledjay

I have my medical prescription and found a couple of seeds from my licensed producer in one batch last year (and here I thought the days of bag seed were over). I'm hoping to put them in the ground June 7th. Any thoughts on legality of this?

Edit: sorry I'm referring to the seeds legality as opposed to the date. I'm assuming June 7th is a "go".

Thanks Oldbear... it will be legal to grow here in Canada on June 7th (at least it's expected to pass the final reading at Senate and become law immediately effective June 7th). The interesting part is seeds can only be legally purchased at certain licensed shops months later. My question is more, can I get in trouble if I didn't purchase any seeds and still planted them June 7th. Not sure if that makes sense.

Yes - you could get in trouble by proceeding in advance of the legislation.

I don't know if they would prosecute someone starting early. Outdoor grow season is pretty limited in a northern climate so tough to wait until its approved. They are talking about delays.

Each province will set their own rules as I understand it.

Oh am totally going to wait until it passed legislation and a federal announcement says, "As of today, you can now grow up to 4 plants at home; however you can only legally purchase seeds through authorized re-sellers which won't be opened until August". I'll make the question even simpler: say I know a guy who has a license to grow right now... after the announcement is made this guy hands me a seed for free and I plant it. Now someone finds out I'm growing a plant and the cops start asking questions... I'm perfectly within my right to grow but there aren't supposed to be seeds available yet through legit means. Do I get in trouble for not having purchased the seeds through the authorized re-sellers?

edit: it will be legal in my province btw

Technically you could be in trouble doing this, Would the authorities prosecute a seed from another source? Dont know.

The biggest unknown today is what provinces and municipalities will add to the rules and regulations. They have the legal right to do so.

Very optimistic if you think June 7th is the magic day. They are going to prolong legalization as long as possible. The last thing I heard was the natives want to post pone it until studies can be done on the effects on there people.

I'd put money on it being June 7th! The native thing was just a way for the conservatives to try and stall. The Prime Minister dismissed it within a day... they knew about it all along and are just bringing up objections to stall now? Perhaps I'm just wishfully thinking, but I think it's going through.

I think you're right. I'll hold out till it's good to go 'cause I know myself... I will get a couple girls going, get paranoid at the first cop who drives by my house and get rid of them all lol. Fingers crossed for the "green" light June 7th!!

We can hope. I don’t think we have to be worried about growing a couple plants. Nobody cares at this point.

Not sure if that's true. Lots of people remain worried and distrustful and afraid of cannabis products.

I'm guessing but I can see there being bylaws about where people can grow (or not grow) in the city.

I did a bit more digging and found a partial answer from the Cannabis Act. There's interesting phrasing: "material that they know is illicit cannabis" (see highlighted below). I don't known the two seeds from my LP are illicit (in fact it was legal medical marijuana and not illicit at all). But this raises some interesting questions. If (well after legislation passes) I purchase seeds through a LP in accordance with the law and I use that to grow a plant for seeds can I then give some seeds to a friend? That isn't clear in the proposed act. It is clear I can give up to 30 grams of cannabis to a friend... so perhaps if the cannabis happened to have seeds in it I would be okay lol.

Here's a snip of the proposed act with regards to seeds:

"Cultivation, propagation and harvesting — 18 years of age or older

(4) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for an individual who is 18 years of age or older to cultivate, propagate or harvest, or to offer to cultivate, propagate or harvest,
(a) a cannabis plant that is from a seed or plant material that they know is illicit cannabis; or
(b) more than four cannabis plants at any one time in their dwelling-house."

edit:
Definition of illicit cannabis from the Act:
illicit cannabis means cannabis that is or was sold, produced or distributed by a person prohibited from doing so under this Act or any provincial Act or that was imported by a person prohibited from doing so under this Act.‍ (cannabis illicite)

Not sure where you are at but in Alberta there will be no outdoor growing allowed. Only way here would be with the ACMPR with one of the outdoor options selected.

In the cannabis act it says "Share up to 30 grams or equivalent of legal cannabis and legal cannabis products with other adults" If I share 30 grams with my brother and it happens to have seeds in it, is that illicit cannabis if he grows it out?

The "illicit" cannabis thing is going to be so hard to prove let alone enforce.

Not sure where you are at but in Alberta there will be no outdoor growing allowed. Only way here would be with the ACMPR with one of the outdoor options selected.

In the cannabis act it says "Share up to 30 grams or equivalent of legal cannabis and legal cannabis products with other adults" If I share 30 grams with my brother and it happens to have seeds in it, is that illicit cannabis if he grows it out?

The "illicit" cannabis thing is going to be so hard to prove let alone enforce.
Absolutely agree. Only thing I can think is that they are trying to get rid of the non-registered seed producers... make it explicitly illegal to buy and the sellers will eventually disappear or register.

Oh, and my grow is going to be indoors... no way I'm investing 3 months into my babies to have them stolen just before harvest :)

In 4b above - the 'in the dwelling house' makes me wonder about urban grows outdoors.

My understanding is that buying and selling cannabis seeds is legal in Canada. I checked this at the local police station. So the seed sellers might be ok.

Hey guys, I'm over here in Australia and we are probably heading down the same path. What has concerned me is that everything will be highly controlled and adulterated in some way, and by me wanting to medicate with what I have I'm still illegal.
I have half a mind to just release a heap of shit hippie seed into the wild and let them deal with that.
Thanks for the conversation these concerns are what I need to hit my Senate with. Mind if when I move forward I quote some of this communication?

Cheers

Another issue I can see is the ambiguous wording of the "equivalent of legal marijuana product" could provide problems. Definition of equivalent as it takes a lot of product to "make" some of the edibles and oils. Don't want to be an arse but...

Another issue I can see is the ambiguous wording of the "equivalent of legal marijuana product" could provide problems. Definition of equivalent as it takes a lot of product to "make" some of the edibles and oils. Don't want to be an arse but...
In 4b above - the 'in the dwelling house' makes me wonder about urban grows outdoors.

My understanding is that buying and selling cannabis seeds is legal in Canada. I checked this at the local police station. So the seed sellers might be ok.

In the act it says:
Definition of dwelling-house

(8) For the purposes of this section, dwelling-house, in respect of an individual, means the dwelling-house where the individual is ordinarily resident and includes
(a) any land that is subjacent to it and the immediately contiguous land that is attributable to it, including a yard, garden or any similar land; and
(b) any building or structure on any land referred to in paragraph (a).

Looks like outdoors will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom