Noob - A couple of questions

Jamesnns

How accurate are the paper Ph strips? Im just using bottled store bought water...
I had some stretching, which continues I think...Im going to re-pot them and I read I can bury the stems. I have two plants with 2.5-3 inch stems, can I bury them 1/4 inch below the sprouts?. If not, how far can I bury them?
My plants are 5-6 days old and dont seem to be growing much. They look healthy enough. Im running 2 1650 CFL 100 watt bulbs in a reflector for each plant using a splitter thing. Considering the height of the stems, the main leaves are up higher in between the bulbs. Should I lower the bulbs and only go with one bulb directly above the top of the plant?
My third plant, which sprouted later,hasnt stretched at all. I lowered the lights as soon as I could. It looks great, except it doesnr seem to be getting bigger either.
Its like Im just maintaining...
I can post images if requested...but Its a pita for me to do.
Heres a link that has some limted photos
1st time grower

Update. Nobody replied but I did see views....
I went ahead and re-potted the tall sprouts and changed the lights from two angled bulbs to one bulb each and straight above the top leaves.
What an amazing difference that made. I saw some new growth in just 3 hours and then this am...WOW. They've grown 1/3 bigger and all have new leaves coming out.

Cool beans

Heres she is..the first plant that sprouted..6 days old now.
How does she look?
photo515.JPG

Good luck with your plants, Jamesnns. Paper strips are just fine. Meters are notoriously flaky and hard to calibrate. In soil, you can use tap water. I grow many different plants, and have "hard" tap water, and use it for all my plants, and they are all fine. Soil acts as a buffer. You need not spend money on special water, if growing in soil.

Good luck with your plants, Jamesnns. Paper strips are just fine. Meters are notoriously flaky and hard to calibrate. In soil, you can use tap water. I grow many different plants, and have "hard" tap water, and use it for all my plants, and they are all fine. Soil acts as a buffer. You need not spend money on special water, if growing in soil.

I just bought a gallon of distilled..is that OK to use?

Back
Top Bottom