Noob - Top LED - RDWC - 4x8 Tent Grow - Mods 4 Handicapped Old Fart

Hey brother, still flowing along intently! Just wanted to say thanks. I bought the 3watt lights based on your recommendations and have a light track on order! Condolences on the loss of the little girl, looks like she stressed out too much :(. Do me a personal favor, put a curve on the brim of that noob hat.....lol.

Hey Bill,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one watching this grow intently ;-)

You are going to love the lights. If you are not following him on 420mag or YT Colorado Finest rocks it with your lights. I just got a message back from him telling me I am going to love the way the resin packs on with the amount of red in the spectrum. Sounds like you are going to love it too Bill. Can't wait to see your setup. Be sure to notify me if you will be posting anything.

On the light rail issue; you don't track the lights as far on LED as you would with an HPS. Stop to stop my lights only move 21 inches in my 4x8 tent. And do I curve the hat up or down?? I know, I'm such a noob <grin>

Hey Kahuna!.. I watched half your intro vid and was instantly impressed with your setup.. i had actually myself considered making a small platform for my tents to sit on, so i get some more vertical height.

Just a question.. I haven't gotten to your other vids yet, or finished the first one as its usually pretty damn late by the time i get around here to check things out. Whats the PPM of your water? you said it keeps drifting up. I would doubt you are having a Magnesium deficiency as magnesium is more available at a higher PPM

Heres a Nutrient Availability chart for your own reference, if you haven't seen something like this already
pH-Nutrient-Availability.gif

I'm Subbed!!

it will take me a bit to play catch up tho. Very Nice tent set up!! I just set up 2 tents recently myself. a 4'x4'x6.5' and a 8'x8'x6.5'. The small one has an LED in there that i'm doing for a Sponsored Journal that will be starting within 2 weeks!! The Monster Tent has 2 600w cooltube reflectors in there right now, probably putting in another 600w reflector too!

Hi Greenthumb J,

Thanks for the thumbs up on the tent. The platform, or more accurately the dry pond is perfect for tent growers. The added height helps with heat dissipation and as a 6 footer myself a short tent was just not an option for me with my back. I guarantee you if you build one platform/dry-pond you will never go back. The other major feature you get is the option of mounting everything to the platform. My hanging lights are basically mounted to the platform, not the thin poles.

I'm going to go check out your White Widow grow. Just got a WWxBB clone and know nothing about her. Can't help myself. I'm a born snoop.

Please do stop by! My Completed journal has a better view of the Widow i currently have in veg. I started it from seed in March! Cruise through the end of the journal for the pics before harvest, and you should get an idea of how this particular strain grows.

My current journal is actually 8 widow clones from the large Widow in veg and the seedlings i have in my Grow box. The widow clones are currently under the LED i'm getting ready to review until my big tent is fully set up and ready for some plants! I'm just waiting for two 6" inline fans for the big tent and a 4" inline fan for the small tent and a carbon filter for both. I just ordered a portable AC unit 2 days ago and it should be here within 10 business days

I read you are having issues with brown slime? Have you heard of a product called Aquashield? Its a Botanicare product, and its a liquid compost solution derived from composted poultry litter. It will get rid of anything harmful in your water res, and will help colonize your root mass and protect it against harmful bacteria as well its a great preventative against root rot due to high water temps. My water temps in my DWC bucket in my bathroom that has my widow has gotten to 27.5 degrees! Sorry i'm a Canadian, thats like 82F? And i haven't gotten a root issue with the widow other than forgetting to do res change for a day or two and realizing just what i did!!

I have actually ran out of Aquashield about 3 weeks ago and my roots are still healthy and rot free and haven't been affected by high water temps. I am very impressed and pleased with the performance of this product that i suggest everynone should buy it!

Help. Roots going into my pipes connecting my RDWC buckets. 3/4 vinyl black hose, barb fittings through gromets. Thanks.

Also had a major 911 emergency in the Batcave today involving flooding and leaks outside the dry pond. Had to do a major rebuild of plumbing because the chiller is now in the tent SO NO WATER can escape. Horrible day. Glad to still be alive.

I've read about troublesome roots entering the plumbing of RDWC's I think people combat this by putting a filter of some sort on each incoming and outgoing tube so the roots cant enter the connecting tubes and cause a clog up.

I have to figure this out for myself as well as i'm going to start planning my Monster RDWC soon and need to figure out how i'm going to keep a huge root mass out of the plumbing!

Hey Guys & Dolls,

Sorry I have not gotten much posted. I will post my last two Video Updates below but first a quick word on my latest grudge F@ck of a week which has been the last three days. I was in the middle of fixin to get ready to do a newt change because I am chasing away the brown slime with Skunk Labs tea (had the 45 gallons of RO water ready and all) when I sprung a leak outside of the safe zone of my dry pond.

This is a problem for a 2nd story dweller in an apartment scenario. Dropped the RO down the drain real fast because it was in the way of getting to the problem. Had the two boys on panic control and we plugged the dyke. Led to a major rebuild, making another batch of RO, and then today I got the new RO & Skunk tea in the cups for 10 hours no lights, then got newts in there up to 580 with a Ph of 5.8

And I did therapy and SSI stuff and had to redesign my air flow because my main fan went tits up. I hurt something wicked but things are under control.

On the positive side I am moving into a space with ten times the growing space being built from the ground up for growing. I imagine I will have the most killer noob setup I have ever seen on YT. I will either make it or crash and burn in glorious YT style. I'll get footage over the next few days (couldn't pick up the camera for the last three) but for now here are my latest two:

is an unboxing of Skunk Labs goodies

is my 6 week update and additional Skunk Lab stuff.

Oh!! I also learned what spider mites are and had to treat that too.

Have a GROOVY Day
Better than my last three
Dahbig Kahuna

Hey Guys & Dolls,

All hell is breaking loose in Gotham City. Two days of dealing with 911 issues landed me in bed for an additional two more days but I will not let the girls beat me down. Being a noob sucks but I'm getting by with a little help from my friends on the boards and on YT. Thanks to all my guardian angels here on 420 mag ;-)

Hey DBK..

I read about your root issues over in COfinest's journal and i thought i would post it here.. so i'm copying and pasting what was originally a PM cause its great info and i think everyone should use this!!

.."Go get yourself some Aquashield

i will cut and paste what i wrote about it in another pals journal.. one sec

Here is the write up about Hydroguard (which is aquashield but botanicare changed the name again) directly from my Botanicare Urban Growers Sourcebook:

"Hydroguards unique formula, available exclusively from Botanicare, contains an isolated form of Bacillus bacteria known as Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens. This scientifically isolated bacterium was selected for its superior ability to amplify root mass and health, especially in Hydroponic gardening, when compared to the more well known Bacillus subtilis species. Upon application, the highly concentrated and pure culture of Bacillus bacteria in Hydroguard rapidly colonize the root zone and for a network of highly efficient microbes that work together to deliver exactly what each plants needs when its most crucial. These specialized rhizobacteria activate the plants natural defense system, assist in the break down of organic materials, and increase nutrient availability.

- Contains a scientifically isolated strain of beneficial bacteria, Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens.
- Helps maintain a healthy root zone 100% naturally
- Breaks down nutrients and makes them more readily available for the plant.
- More effective than the traditional Bacillus Subtilis species."

Those be the words from Botanicare. I stand by the product. This shit will obliterate whatever is messing around in your Res, and turn it into usable energy for the roots. Your grow is top notch and i love your set up DBK.. i would hate to see your plants die cause you didn't get a hold of this product sooner! i lost some seedlings early in my first grow that hurt cause i spend some serious coin on those seeds!!

So i'm going to hook you up big time here.. i know a website a buddy of mine on this site got a wicked hook up on some Aquashield. I'm PM it to you. he Ordered a 1gal jug and they gave him a 2.5 gallon at no extra charge! Dont know if they have this promotion going anymore.. i know at least 4 other guys on here picked up some as well.. so maybe its over.. but nonetheless, its the cheapest i've seen, cheaper than Scamazon.

-GreenThumb J"

and thats my C&P response for your root issue.. had to edit it as you see and i will PM you the link to the Aquashield.

Hey DBK..

I read about your root issues over in COfinest's journal and i thought i would post it here.. so i'm copying and pasting what was originally a PM cause its great info and i think everyone should use this!!

.."Go get yourself some Aquashield

i will cut and paste what i wrote about it in another pals journal.. one sec

Here is the write up about Hydroguard (which is aquashield but botanicare changed the name again) directly from my Botanicare Urban Growers Sourcebook:

"Hydroguards unique formula, available exclusively from Botanicare, contains an isolated form of Bacillus bacteria known as Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens. This scientifically isolated bacterium was selected for its superior ability to amplify root mass and health, especially in Hydroponic gardening, when compared to the more well known Bacillus subtilis species. Upon application, the highly concentrated and pure culture of Bacillus bacteria in Hydroguard rapidly colonize the root zone and for a network of highly efficient microbes that work together to deliver exactly what each plants needs when its most crucial. These specialized rhizobacteria activate the plants natural defense system, assist in the break down of organic materials, and increase nutrient availability.

- Contains a scientifically isolated strain of beneficial bacteria, Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens.
- Helps maintain a healthy root zone 100% naturally
- Breaks down nutrients and makes them more readily available for the plant.
- More effective than the traditional Bacillus Subtilis species."

Those be the words from Botanicare. I stand by the product. This shit will obliterate whatever is messing around in your Res, and turn it into usable energy for the roots. Your grow is top notch and i love your set up DBK.. i would hate to see your plants die cause you didn't get a hold of this product sooner! i lost some seedlings early in my first grow that hurt cause i spend some serious coin on those seeds!!

So i'm going to hook you up big time here.. i know a website a buddy of mine on this site got a wicked hook up on some Aquashield. I'm PM it to you. he Ordered a 1gal jug and they gave him a 2.5 gallon at no extra charge! Dont know if they have this promotion going anymore.. i know at least 4 other guys on here picked up some as well.. so maybe its over.. but nonetheless, its the cheapest i've seen, cheaper than Scamazon.

-GreenThumb J"

and thats my C&P response for your root issue.. had to edit it as you see and i will PM you the link to the Aquashield.

Wow Greenthumb J, Thanks Brah. Respect.

I'm new to this whole posting thing too so I am not sure what the sponsor/nonsponsor stuff is. I did get five TopLEDs because of this site though. I will go check for the PM section. I tried PM to Colorado Finest who I chat with on YT a bunch but have not been given that privilege here yet. Guess what, just checked email from 420mag notifying me of this post and the link was on it. I will see if my local hydro store has some to get me started and will then get a larger order when not under the gun. If it is local, I will pick it up in the morning.

My buddy ordered some online and it didn't take long at all to arrive. Might be worth it to price compare first!

And FIVE topLED's? jesus.. Wait.. did you purchase them, or were they gifted? i barely managed to somehow attract the attention of Twilight Groups Ltd, who offered me a smaller model LED to review for them. I'd love to get my hands on a larger panel tho.. something like in the 900w+ range.. times 2 to replace my HPS in the summertime at least.

Problem is, i dont want to spend $600+ on an LED panel like the MARS II 1600. I dont know why, but i have this feeling that higher wattage LED panels, or at least multiple smaller ones, are needed to grow plants with huge yields! I'm going for less plants/higher yields, and i know that with a minimum 2 month veg time, my 600w HPS can easily pull 1lb a plant, and i can pick up a 600w ballast, 6" Cooltube reflector, 600w MH and 600w HPS bulbs, a yo yo to hang the lights as well as a 24hr timer all for $200 brand new in box, shipped to wherever i want!

So in reality, i like to look at my return of investment. Check my first journal, and then take a look at where i am at now. its incredible what i have set up so far. I get my fans and filters tomorrow, which means its go time for the monster tent!

I have yet to see someone pull a serious harvest off of ONE LED panel alone. COfinest does well for his harvests, but he usually uses multiple LED's in his flowering set up, at least thats what i've usually seen.

My buddy ordered some online and it didn't take long at all to arrive. Might be worth it to price compare first!

And FIVE topLED's? jesus.. Wait.. did you purchase them, or were they gifted? i barely managed to somehow attract the attention of Twilight Groups Ltd, who offered me a smaller model LED to review for them. I'd love to get my hands on a larger panel tho.. something like in the 900w+ range.. times 2 to replace my HPS in the summertime at least.

Problem is, i dont want to spend $600+ on an LED panel like the MARS II 1600. I dont know why, but i have this feeling that higher wattage LED panels, or at least multiple smaller ones, are needed to grow plants with huge yields! I'm going for less plants/higher yields, and i know that with a minimum 2 month veg time, my 600w HPS can easily pull 1lb a plant, and i can pick up a 600w ballast, 6" Cooltube reflector, 600w MH and 600w HPS bulbs, a yo yo to hang the lights as well as a 24hr timer all for $200 brand new in box, shipped to wherever i want!

So in reality, i like to look at my return of investment. Check my first journal, and then take a look at where i am at now. its incredible what i have set up so far. I get my fans and filters tomorrow, which means its go time for the monster tent!

I have yet to see someone pull a serious harvest off of ONE LED panel alone. COfinest does well for his harvests, but he usually uses multiple LED's in his flowering set up, at least thats what i've usually seen.

You are right, I really had to bite the pillow hard over the price of just the LEDs alone but my grow is very specific to my physical needs and limited by being in my bedroom on a 2nd floor unit. Heat management rules my small little planet. I had a 1,000 watt HPS for a while. Couldn't run it over 400 watts in a 32 square foot garden. The math sucked

Ii may not be a grower but I really am a nerd. I believe that once I learn how to not kill this plant, then the 3 watt LEDs on a light mover are the way to go. (although I have my eyes glued to Colorado Finest's new LED. It may solve the light dispersion and blending better). Once the LED decision was made I spent six months in research mode. Being in bed for 16-20 hours a day gives a fella plenty of time for reading. I use spreed on chrome and can read at 1,100 or 1,200 words per minute comfortably. So all that research into everything including chips, drivers, heatsink design, lens options, PRICE PRICE PRICE led me to TopLED Reflector series.

I got many small units to spread them out over the 32 square feet more efficiently. They are only good at close range. We threw it on the PAR meter down at the hydro store. I did the price per watt on the different panels and how many fans per watt a panel had, on and on compared to degradation of the HPS over 6 months etc and the LED is cheaper to run. I'm handicapped. Getting up to eff with a bulb if I don't have to is not good for me and with the LEDs my tent is within 3-4 degrees of room temp (no AC needed). With the HPS I had to turn on the whole apartment AC and that adds about $140 a month to my bill so the money was either going to SDG&E or China.

For less money (or money saved in six months or less of operating expenses associated with my 400 watt HPS) I now pump 1,000 watts in flower over 32 square feet. And to help with light blending and penetration I have it on a light rail. I want to get through my first flower and then I think I will be able to learn to get big yields out of the LEDs. Time, and well appreciated help from fine folks such as yourself shall tell. And if the advice of a noob is good for anything I would, and did vote for many small units over one big one. This is why I am documenting and posting my results here. So we can all see if many small beat one big. But first I have to learn how to not kill these fine ladies.

Hey Guys & Dolls,

Feeling dirty? It is time to take a shower with the girls. Join me as I was the root rot and spray the root zone with beneficials. Also an update showing how rough the last week to ten days were on the girls. Doing thirs spider mite treatment today with Skunk Labs Plant Cleanse and Vital Rinse today and hope to get a bit of footage. also plan to show how the girls are bouncing back. Looks like we flip and change rez tomorrow along with putting a net over them.

Want to give a shoutout to Green Thumb J for his help in getting me pointed in the direction of Aqua Shield. Respect.

Hey Guys & Dolls,

Just a text update today. I'm whooped but today is a big day in my growing out of noobhood. Tonight is THE FLIP. I really wanted to mark the event with some video footage but I just couldn't unfog my head after dealing with social services for most of the day too. Sorry : (

BUt I'm in bed now and medicated and relaxing and this is a great thing. Glad I live in this awesome country and I'm feeding my plants from afar rather than being plant food myself : )

So today was day seven of my rez. Today was also the day to do the third instalment of the spider mite treatment to insure there are not even eggs around. Was lucky enough to have my son help me big time today. I have things set up so I don't generally have to lift anything more than a gallon (sometimes even that is too much). So we have two pumps attached to hoses. One runs from the rez to the toilet and the other runs from the holding tank outside to the rez (clean pump & hose new newts only, dirty waste pump). Rez changes are a snap with this setup.

However, since I had a minion we pulled the inline filters and there were dead roots and youk in there but not much at all. The new water in the spa for the girls is at 590 with standard veg newts for the transition week. Silica, Mag, Newts, RO H20, 5.7ph 72F. I added 2 oz per gallon of Skunk Labs Root Assist Tea with a bump of AquaShield from Botanicare (thanks GreenThumb J) at the rate of 5ml (one tsp) per gallon. The beneficials were applied through the hydroton with the aid of our new fangled one gallon pump action garden sprayer.

Each girl hopped out of the pool for a short shower on the plastic mats in the living room with the Nuke Em at the rate of 1 oz per gallon applied as a foliar spray (thanks for that advice MedGrower1 from YT). Guess the girls are liking all the attention because they grew 4 inches in the last three days and they are going to burst out of the tent in stretch if I don't go all BSDM on them with some twine and PVC pipes.

My buddy who spotted me the strain came over and said they have to flip because they grow two feet in flower every time (great, no pressure). I lost 12 inches of vertical clearance the light could raise with the chiller going in the tent up by the 8 inch exaust. Skunk Labs was also telling me it was OK to flip them a few days ago so after a long and spirited discussion with the voices in my head I gave the order; FLIP, FLIP, FLIP.

I feel dirty and like I need a cigarette. That's a good thing when you pop your flowering cherry, RIGHT?

Subscribed Dahbig Kahuna, a lot of real good DIY stuff going on here, you should be very proud of yourself. I'm a long way behind you, six months of study and no grow yet. Not in the past 40 years anyway. I can't offer any advise but I'm sure having fun just lurking.
And here are some reps for popping your Flower Cherry!!!!!

Subscribed Dahbig Kahuna, a lot of real good DIY stuff going on here, you should be very proud of yourself. I'm a long way behind you, six months of study and no grow yet. Not in the past 40 years anyway. I can't offer any advise but I'm sure having fun just lurking.
And here are some reps for popping your Flower Cherry!!!!!

Thanks 60cal. I spent at least a year researching and you are in the right place. Most of the best stuff I learned was from some of the awesome growers here on 420mag. Good luck and mondo yield to you my friend when you decide to grow your own green.

Great set-up man. You really went to town for your first grow. Respect for doing what you did with a disability. I will be popping in and watching your progress.

Thanks MedFarmer. I hope to get some footage on Sunday and post an update now that I'm in flower.
OOOh I feel pretty when I say that <grin>

Back
Top Bottom