Noobs First Grow - First In Ten Years

Should I abandon this journal until they are here. I feel as though I'm wasting a lot of people's time until I have my seeds

The answer to that question - an unequivocal "no". Is that good enough? :battingeyelashes: The seeds will come in, and in the meantime, you can get a grip on all the particulars. I started my latest journal when I was still a month out from seeds germinating precisely to tap the brains and save unnecessary expense and aggravation.

I envy you the closet space. I'd have killed for a closet I could slip a tent into. You see how I had to overcome that? How much more convienient would a large closet have been? Not one to complain, I have three spaces running concurrently.

The Cindy, as Cajun so delightfully refers to the C99, is one of his favorite medicinal strains. The man knows his medical marajuana. Probably not a better informed member on the site for mmj. Supergroomer is growing one right now. I believe she's coming up on two months now, maybe older, now that I think about it. You might want to check him out. I grow with LOS, so I have no nutrient knowledge, so how happy am I to find you so well informed by your subscribers? Good work Hijinks. :high-five:

You guys that use chemicals amaze me. I'd kill them like that, I'm sure. LOL! The plants you turn out though are incredible. This is the first time you've grown indoors then? That'll be a fun learning curve. I think it's probably more addictive growing indoors. It's so difficult to stay away from them. And kids! Can you believe she took your prime space? What's a good dad to do? You taking it over for growing when she goes off to college? Think of what you could do with a basement. Wow!

I can't even express how excited and anxious I am to have SweetSue on board to help me with this endeavor. She is freakin awesome and I will take her advice any time she gives it to me. I know it sounds fanboy, but I kind of look at her like royalty on this site. Just my opinion.
You aren't a bad gardener yourself, LOGGER! I checked out your grow. Very similar to one of the grows I did in Texas in my closet. Your set up is way better than what I was running at the time. I will have to sub up.

:high-five:

When did you live in Texas? Where? I was a student at Abilene Christian University for five years, back in my youth. I have a dream of someday going back just to walk around the city and eat pecans off the street in the fall again. *Sigh*

You guys made me blush. :bigblush:

Sooooooo, I really don't have any patience. I decided to start germinating one of my bag seeds from a batch of Tangerine Dream.

Tangerine_Dream8.JPG

Dome_1.JPG

Dome_2.JPG

closet_seed.JPG

I wet a napkin and squeezed some water out before opening it very gently. Like peeling away a delicate pastry, trying not to disturb the other layers, I placed the seed in the middle of her moist bed for the next 24 hours. Then, I tucked her away with a roof over her head to keep the moisture in, shutting the closet door on her, encasing her in darkness so she can begin living.

I soak my seeds in a cup of water for a day-day and a half. (checking them often and giving them a little poke every once in a while to make them sink) Then once I see them crack open and start to push a taproot ill plop em in the "damp blanket" for about another 24 hours. This way seems to give a higher germination rate and its generally faster. :thumb:

When did you live in Texas? Where? I was a student at Abilene Christian University for five years, back in my youth. I have a dream of someday going back just to walk around the city and eat pecans off the street in the fall again. *Sigh*

You guys made me blush. :bigblush:

I lived in Texas from the 70's (give or take a year. I was a baby) until 2012. I lived in a lot of cities in Texas. lol I went to college in College Station where I played football. I graduated from a sister school in Commerce. I lived In San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and many others. But, sadly, Not Abilene. I miss Texas. It is, and will always be, home.

I soak my seeds in a cup of water for a day-day and a half. (checking them often and giving them a little poke every once in a while to make them sink) Then once I see them crack open and start to push a taproot ill plop em in the "damp blanket" for about another 24 hours. This way seems to give a higher germination rate and its generally faster. :thumb:

Crap. Should I take it out now and soak it just to be sure? This is the way I have always done it in the past.

Crap. Should I take it out now and soak it just to be sure? This is the way I have always done it in the past.

If it's worked for you before, stick with it. Don't mess with success. A Tangie? Cool. You'll be right back up to growing speed in no time.

I have abisymal germination rates sometimes, and other times they jump right out of the soil. I hope to improve that consistency rate in time. B A R's been after me for quite a while to adopt his method, with Rockwool cubes. He gets excellent germination rates, close to 100%. I don't know why I hesitate. This time I even have the cubes in my rainforest cart, waiting for me to hit "place order". I'm sure your seed will sprout. They're hearty plants, determined to continue the genetic line.

A part of me will always think of Texas as home.

I'm laughing as I take the seed out of the napkin. The precision that I used placing the seed into the napkin the first time was thrown out the window this time as I quickly unfolded the napkin and tossed the seed into the water. It floated on top of the water which seemed odd to me. Is that normal?

Taking the seed out of the dome

cup_dome.JPG

seed soaking in water

seed_cup.JPG

Lol. I wasnt sayin ya were doin anything wrong. But... Seein as it is already in the cup... Yes it is normal for it to float. Eventually it will sink. Sometimes they need some persuasion..( just a light tap/poke with ya finger tip) Itll take a little bit. Patience my friend. :high-five:

:laughtwo: That was too cute! All that care and precision. Haha! Yes, they float. I usually toss mine in and just leave them alone. Later I'll think "Wait! Didn't I have some seeds soaking?" Then I check until they sink. I always plant mine right then. I don't wait for the tail. Probably why I have such sporadic germination rates. I believe we should have super cheap seed prices so it doesn't matter how many we lose. I'm an unquenchible optimist who believes the world should be fair though, so there you go. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Lol. I wasnt sayin ya were doin anything wrong. But... Seein as it is already in the cup... Yes it is normal for it to float. Eventually it will sink. Sometimes they need some persuasion..( just a light tap/poke with ya finger tip) Itll take a little bit. Patience my friend. :high-five:

I'm here to learn, LOGGER. I will try your way to get an idea of how I want to go about germinating seeds in the future. The plan is to get enough strains that I can just run clones eventually anyways. I thank you for your input.

:laughtwo: That was too cute! All that care and precision. Haha! Yes, they float. I usually toss mine in and just leave them alone. Later I'll think "Wait! Didn't I have some seeds soaking?" Then I check until they sink. I always plant mine right then. I don't wait for the tail. Probably why I have such sporadic germination rates. I believe we should have super cheap seed prices so it doesn't matter how many we lose. I'm an unquenchible optimist who believes the world should be fair though, so there you go. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Seeds definitely aren't cheap. They are so precious to a new grower but when I was smoking bags of pot years ago, I would chunk those suckers along with my stems. What I would give to have a few of those thrown away seeds today.
I wish the world was fair too but it isn't and I think that's by design. ;)

I have to learn cloning too. It's an absolute necessity this grow. Absolute because I decided it had to be now, not really out of necessity. I have an embarrassment of riches in seeds. I just need to prove to myself that it can be done by me. If I succeed I won't have to buy anymore of the high CBD strains. Maybe when it gets to that point you guys can help me out.

Gosh, I've been on line a long time today. Haha! Did I really just say that? Crazy woman, I practically live here anyway. Not like I'm not getting anything done. :laughtwo: I type faster than the average bear. I also talk more, so it takes longer to get it done.

Let me find something to eat. :ciao:

Okie dokie.. Had to go back and check my own journal to get my timeline straight.. :lot-o-toke: So.. I use a pretty aggressive germing technique.. I had them in the water cup for ~24 hours. When i saw a taproot i popped them right into the soil. (used a pen to push a 1/2'' deep hole) placed them in taproot down, gave them a lil spritz of water, carefully covered them with a very small amount of soil, gave them 1 more spritz. waited.. waited a lil more.. 24 hours after this I CAREFULLY dug the soil off the top of the seeds, spritzed again.. waited.. 12 hours later they had their heads just above soil. i carefully pressed some soil around the necks to stabilize them. 12 hours later I very very gently removed their helmets. This was yesterday morning. They look a lil white/yellowish at first. So from a seed bobbing around in a cup at 8:30 pm Friday til now this is where im at..:thumb:
IMG_20160316_215723626_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom