Noob's First Grow: Indoor, Coco, 4 Plants

Good morning everyone, and welcome to Thursday!

Total is DAY 34 Veg of my first grow, and I am pretty pleased with the way things are looking.

Over the past week or so I did the following (chronological order): removed nodes #1 and 2, and then topped above node #4. I then tied down the shoots coming off of node #4, almost horizontal, to allow the shoots from node #3 to catch up and get to the same level. Since all of that action, the girls have been left alone to recover - just standard watering (RO and nutes). I thought that they were looking good, and so this morning I went back at them.

The shoots from node #3 had not just caught up to #4, but they were actually starting to get taller in some cases. The advice I got from the quadline experts (see up-thread) is to try to keep everything level in order to develop a flat canopy. And so here are pre/post photos of each of the four girls where I tried to accomplish that. I do have foam-coated twist ties, but I have been having a hard time getting them in place - the plants are so short (but bushy and dense) I found it easier, with less wear and tear on the leaves, to use the metal staples I have. I did make sure that there isn't too much pressure or "squish" on the branches.

Trainwreck:

Purple Kush:

Green Crack:

GSC:

Finally, as you can probably see, all of them, but the GSC in particular, are very dense with leaves. I am wondering if I should remove some of the leaves that are blocking the shoots/sprouts, in order to let more light get in there? Here a photo of what I mean:

I'd love any feedback or reactions that anyone has.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will leave the leaf-removal for a while. I didn't know that about Indica growth habits, @Pennywise - appreciate the information. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the new week. Hope the weekend was excellent.

Just a few photos and a quick update on my grow today. It is Day 37 of Veg.

Didn't do a whole lot of work on the plants today. Just adjusted the tie-downs to keep stems almost horizontal and open. I did remove some of the "downward facing" new growths. By that I mean on the new nodes, there are a pair of sprouts - one points upward, and one downward. Since the downward-pointing one has nowhere to go, I pinched it off. As you can see, lots of new growth on all four plants. Still incredibly stocky and bushy, without much height. Given my tent is a "shorty," I guess I should be grateful!

The Purple Kush - the only auto of the four - has reached the edge of the fabric pot. I'm just going to let it keep doing its thing.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks everyone!

GSC:

Purple Kush:

Trainwreck:

Green Crack:

[I forgot to get a "post" pic of the Green Crack after adjusting its anchors, sorry!]

Attachments

• 04 15 19  Green Pre.JPG
    04 15 19 Green Pre.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 04 15 19 Green Pre.JPG
    04 15 19 Green Pre.JPG
    654.3 KB · Views: 14
Nice grow you got there! Interested to see how that Purple Kush develops.

Me too! The Purple Kush is definitely "different" from the others. It is the only auto, but it also seems to have a different growth habit, dietary requirements (needs a lower nutrient concentration), etc. The other three are much more alike. I appreciate your stopping by - was just checking out your journal as well. Thanks!

Good afternoon, all, and Happy Hump Day. Hope that your week is off to a great start.

Some fun updates to share today. I am really pleased with the way my girls are progressing, and hope that you will be too. FYI, today is DAY 39 of Veg.

For the most part all I did today was reposition the anchors on the various stems to keep them just shy of horizontal. Given all the growth over the past few days, I was starting to get some upward curving at the end of the branches, which I wanted to try to offset. Lots of new shoots emerging from the horizontal nodes (if that is the right terminology). For the three photo-girls, here are before and after photos.

GSC:

Green Crack:

Trainwreck:

And some other exciting news (I think!) on my Purple Kush. As a reminder, she is the only auto in this grow. Here are her before and after shots:

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but... pistils???

Of course, since she is an auto, I won't be changing the light timing. However, I do wonder if I should lower the height of the lights a little bit, perhaps an inch or two a day for a couple of days? In addition, would this be a good time to start transitioning her nutrients to a more flower-oriented menu?

Any thoughts or comments - positive or negative - would be much appreciated. Have a great afternoon!

Doing a fine job there mate, looking nice and yes that sure is pistols there mate its always nice to see the first ones forming, and I would probably wait for a few more pistols before nute upping mate thats just my opinion tho, good day

Yep you have pistols. Now if you want her to have more intense lighting you could just put her up on something like bricks or a upside down bowl to bring her up some but leave the lights up to get more stretch going for your photos. As far as nutes I usually run grow nutes the first week of stretch and transition over to bloom nutes over the last 2 weeks. I figure stretch is serious growth spurt so I want some grow nutes involved. I wouldn't touch her much till after she is done with her stretch. She needs everything she has to make it thru. After stretch then you can do a good defol and pull her apart some more to keep air going thru her. Nice job on the training and plants are looking good and healthy.

Thanks @Tomuk17 and @Derbybud. Appreciate you both sharing your advice - great that you agree, too!

As you both suggest, I will stay the course on the current formula of nutrients for a couple of more weeks. Love the idea of the elevation for the one auto, as the photo-girls sure are stocky and shrub-like. I am not complaining as I have some height limitations in my tent, and know that they will eventually stretch.

Good afternoon to you both.

I would start to run some bloom nutes in a week. Grow/bloom, week one of stretch 75/25, week 2 50/50, week 3 25/75, after stretch 100% bloom. Gets some of the bloom and traditions over to 100% after stretch.

That transition makes a lot of sense. BTW, when do you start counting days for the bloom stage, particularly for autos? Since there isn't a light flip, does it start after stretch is winding down? Just want to make sure that I am counting days correctly for future posts. Thanks.

I would start the 75/25 now. Next week 50/50 and so on. Showing pistols makes it part of the stretch period.

Your reply came at the perfect time, as was just mixing up nutes! The auto already gets her own special brew as she seems to burn much easier that the three photos do. I will start the "bloom menu transition" today.

I googled "counting flower days" - just out of curiosity. I didn't realize it was such a controversial question!! Seems like two (very passionate) schools of thought - 12/12 light flip (not applicable for the auto), or first pistils. Seeing pistils makes more sense to me, but I'm a noob! Anyhow, for the Purple Kush, today will be Day 1 of flower.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom